How does the Nintendo Wii stay as the top hourly seller on Amazon?

Methinks Nintendo made a deal to remain at the top. How else do you explain it? I mean they never have them in stock, they certainly never have them be the top item sold every hour... since there are none (except for maybe once every 2-3 weeks). What gives. Anyone else notice this?

It's possible that it's counting amazon seller sales as well, since it's the same item.

3rd party sales definitely counts towards the ranking. Most games arent even sold by official sellers anymore, but you can still get a ranking for them.

Nintendo once again to conspire against the world. I hope corrupt Amazon and Nintendo both die. Because the best way to spot a conspiracy is to look at something that is successful everywhere and then point out that it can't be _all that_ successful on Amazon.

Hey moron, when they don't have any for sale ever, how can it always be the top seller of that hour? You're telling me the DOTD or other games don't sell more than the people who charge $400 for a Wii on Amazon? Get real. I emailed amazon and this is what I got.

"Thanks for writing to Amazon.com to bring this to our attention and
I am sorry if this information displayed in the website causes you
any inconvenience.

We build our web site information from many sources, and we really
appreciate knowing about any errors which find their way into it.

However, I will be sure to pass your message on to the appropriate
department in our company for consideration. Customer feedback like
yours is very important in helping us continue to improve the
selection and service we provide.

I'll see that this error is corrected as soon as possible.

For future reference, at the bottom of the product detail page of
every item on our web site, you should see a blue Feedback or
Suggestion Box where you can report any inaccuracies in that item's
listing on our site.

Thanks again for shopping at Amazon.com."

Seems like a pretty canned response to me.

[quote name='SmellsLikeRandyMossGuy'] Seems like a pretty canned response to me.[/quote]

Actually, that was not one of their canned responses. That and Amazon has some algorhythm set up to determine Top Hourly Seller. The problem is that, with most things along those lines, they work well for most items but if some odd variables and numbers start coming into play it can throw everything off.

For example, if the fact that the item completely sells out once stock is replenished is an important factor moreso than how many were actually sold, that could create some problems. If the fact that the item (as provided by Amazon) sells out within a matter of 93 seconds whereas other products take at least a day or two to hit that status that may blow things out of proportion.

That's not to say that the algorhythm isn't bad or that it couldn't be adjusted, but it is a problem they would seriously look at since it hurts customer perceptions. That and...they have had Wiis in stock several times over. Granted, not for too long, but I got mine on release day (within that scant 1 minute window) and I helped friends buy them on two other occassions. Problem is that the things barely stay in stock for more than 8 minutes and you just have to be at the right place at the right time.

...well, that and around here the Wii demand is still insane. The local GameStop can't keep the shipments in stock for more than 4 minutes once UPS comes a callin'.

You're right, I'm such a moron! I should email Amazon.com, too, and expect a personal answer to my bullshit query, despite the fact that their store recieves the load of email that can not possibly be answered in a day, usually in association with product problems, wrong information and misrepresentation of products that could land them in legal trouble... You know, stuff that's kind of important to them.

Moron or not, I do know that Amazon is the kind of asshole organization that wouldn't publish their toll free customer support number on their website. If you want to ask them "to their face" and post back, I'm more than eager to hear what they will tell you: 1-800-201-7575. Source: Wikipedia's article that mentions a shitload of controversies of Amazon's mis-practices, yet has nothing to say about their Top Sellers list. I tested the number before posting, and make sure to press "7" for "all other inquiries."

[quote name='The Crotch']Virgin sacrifices.

Or maybe they are in stores - they just sell out before you see them. Or they are in stores, but not in your area.[/quote]

I too believe virgin sacrifices are at the root of this conspiracy.

bread's done
Back