How does this gaming system sound???

stocker08

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I really blew my budget and went up to around $1000 after rebates and shipping and here is what i put together. Tell me what you think and any changes you would make. All of this is from newegg.

-RAIDMAX Smilodon Extreme Black ATX-612WEB SECC STEEL ATX Mid Tower Computer CaseNo Power Supply - Retail
-LITE-ON LightScribe Black 20X DVD±R Burner with 12X DVD-RAM write Black IDE Model LH-20A1H-186 - Retail
-LITE-ON Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DH-16D2P-08 - Retail
-MITSUMI Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal USB 2.0 digital card reader with Floppy Drive - OEM
- Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
-BFG Tech BFGR7950256GTOCE GeForce 7950GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
-Creative Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail
-Creative Inspire P7800 90 Watts 7.1 Speaker - OEM
-Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU ATX 12V 2.0 500W Power Supply - Retail
-OCZ Vista Upgrade 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2VU8002GK - Retail
-Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM
-Foxconn C51XEM2AA- 8EKRS2H AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX - Retail

I think $120 can get you a 8500 or 8600GT, but if you want a gaming computer, you should really go for the 8800GTS which is (was) on sale for $244 shipped. A fast processor is great, but without a good video card you can't really do much in terms of new games.

/edit/ I think the 8800GTS deal expired already.

The way I would probably break it down (estimates):

Case: $20-100 (really varies - You could get a FAR Ultra case if you find a deal, or a good one like the Antec P180/Nine Hundred cases)
Ram: $60
Mobo: $100
CPU: $100-$200 (E4300 --> E6550, unless there's a sale, in which case you could grab a 6600)
DVD burner: $30
HD: $60
Sound card: $50? (Dunno if you want this, it's optional. It does help though, especially if you got nice speakers)

Total w/o video card: ~$450 --> $570

Hmm, I guess you're right, it's hard to get the 8800GTS while staying within your budget. I think the 8600 would do fine for a little while then.

hmm, i wonder if i should just try to put together my own computer. I am alright with computer hardware. How difficult is it to put together a system?

The thing with building your own computer is, it's fairly simple (follow manual, readup online on procedures), but if you mess up, it's hard to troubleshoot the problem.

I second the ibuypower idea. Them or buyxg (same company) frequently have free shipping on some machines, as well as 5% instant rebates.

Does this seem like a decent computer. does it sound like a good deal??? It is from xtremegear. I used the 5% OFF. If anyone has any better ideas, i am open to hearing them. Thanks! It is $900.60 + $65 shipping. $965.60 total.

CAS: X-Cruiser Mid-Tower 420W Case W/ WINDOW, MultiMeter Display & Control [-4] (Black Color)
CS_FAN: Extra Ball Bearing Case Fan [+3] (3 x Fans [+6])
CASUPGRADE: 12in COLD CATHODE NEON LIGHT [+10] (BLUE COLOR)
CPU: (Socket AM2) AMD Athlon™64 X2 6000+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology [+60]
CD: SONY 16X DVD-ROM [-17] (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: LiteOn LH-20A1H 20X Double Layer DVD+-RW Super Allwrite + Lightscribe Technology [+40] (Black Color)
CABLE: None
FLASHMEDIA: None
FREEBIE_CU1: FREE! 1GB USB 2.0 Portable Flash Drive
FREEBIE_CU2: FREE! AGE OF EMPIRE III
FREEBIE_CU3: FREE! RISE OF NATIONS: RISE OF LEGENDS
FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK
FLOPPY: 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE [+10] (BLACK COLOR)
HDD: Single Hard Drive (320GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+16])
HDD2: NONE
IEEE_CARD: NONE
KEYBOARD: Logitech Deluxe 104 PS/2 Keyboard (Black Color)
MOUSE: Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse (BLACK COLOR)
MODEM: NONE
MONITOR: NONE
MONITOR2: NONE
MOTHERBOARD: (Socket AM2)MSI K9N4 SLI-F nForce 500 SLI Chipset DDR2/800 SATA-II RAID MBoard w/ Dual 16x PCI-Express
MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory [+90] (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
MSGAME: MICROSOFT® AGE OF MYTHOLOGY [+6]
NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium [+15] (32-bit Edition)
PRO_WIRING: Professional Wiring for All WIRINGs Inside The System Chasis with High Performance Thermal Compound on CPU [+19]
PRINTER: None
PRINTER_CABLE: None
POWERSUPPLY: STANDARD CASE POWER SUPPLY
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
SERVICE: Standard Warranty: 1-Year Limited Warranty Plus 24/7 Life-Time Technical Support
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: 600WATT PMPO SUBWOOFER STEREO SPEAKERS
TEMP: THERMAL TEMPERATURE LCD DISPLAY WITH 3X FAN CONTROLLER [+12] (BLACK COLOR)
TVRC: None
USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
UPS: None
USBHD: NONE
VIDEO: NEW!!! NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 512MB 16X PCI Express [+37]
VIDEO2: NONE
VIDEOCAMERA: NONE
WNC: NONE
WAP: NONE

how much better would dual NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT 512MB 16X PCI Express's perform than one GeForce 8600 GT 512MB 16X PCI Express?

Would an ATI x1950 pro 256mb with a crossfire-ready MB be a better choice. I just found that the x1950 pro would be my best bet for gaming.

Does this computer seem to go together alright??? I am not going to have any power problems, am I???

If in the future i decided to hook in another x1950 pro for some crossfire action, would my 420w power supply handle it???

how long will i be able to play the current games for with a system like this?? In 4 years will i be able to play new games on lower settings???

oh, last thing...... Is it worth the extra $20 for the 6000+ or should i go with the 5600+ due to the power differences. I would do a core 2 duo processor, but i dont plan on overclocking the processor.

Help out someone who has no clue!!! oh, and bless your souls!

ok, i set up my cart and i am ready to order, check out what i got in my origianl post and give me any last minute ideas, thanks!

i have seen that already. I was looking at getting an 8600gts due to the Direct x 10 capabilities, but the 7950gt is just a much better card. Its not worth running direct x 10 if the quality is going to be really poor.

Just a warning. I've used ibuypower twice in the past. The first experience was great: got PC, worked great and it actually just died on me after about 6 years.

Second experience was completely the opposite and I swore them off and try to give folks a heads-up when they are mentioned. I received PC around December, video card was DOA. Called them, and after hours spent on the phone they agreed to ship a new card. It didn't arrive for weeks. When it did, I reinstalled still dead. Called them, they swore it was my fault and despite having an onsite warranty they forced me to send the machine back at my expense. Then nothing, for months. I finally had to request (numerous times) a refund in April. Each time I called I spent nearly an hour on hold and it was often near the end.

So, the systems are great for the price, but if something is wrong, the customer service is terrible. This was two years ago, so maybe things have changed, but figured I'd give you a heads up.

Did you decide on a video card? I have a X1950 Pro and it rocks. Everything CURRENT plays great, but like all computer hardware, give it 6 months and it will be old. Your best bet is a 8800 GTS, but you have to find a good price on one.

i was leaning towards a 8800gts, but it was just too much $$$ for me. I decided on the 7950GT. It was only $140 after a $40 rebate.

bread's done
Back