How important is 120hz on an LCD?

yeah, I have a 120hz sammy and i don't think it's the 120hz that makes it great. the Auto Motion Plus is what adds an effect to movies by smoothing the picture out giving it an almost animated look. some like it, some don't. i do, gives more depth IMO. the thing with getting a 120hz HDTV is that usually you're getting a better picture tv in general than a 60hz tv because it'll have better specs and features (contrast, response time, black levels, PIP, etc.) than the 60hz tv. It's kinda like 1080p: it's overkill for anything less than 50", but it's the only way to also get higher contrast, lower response time, and best colors/blacks in the picture than 720p tv's.

How important is having more than 60 FPS/do you have hardware capable of putting out more than 60FPS?

For me on a PC, it'd be cool since I wouldn't have to mess with V-Synch. I thought that consoles and such were made to be locked at 30 or 60 FPS.

From what I understand, moving text that blurs on a 60hz LCD is smoother and easier to read on a 120hz LCD like a news ticker or credits at the end of a movie for example. You will pay a big price for this feature.

A 120hz LCD would be really cool to have for playing Counterstrike on.

Btw, 120hz technology in LCDs is still very new so I wouldn't expect it to be perfect yet.

[quote name='von551']yeah, I have a 120hz sammy and i don't think it's the 120hz that makes it great. the Auto Motion Plus is what adds an effect to movies by smoothing the picture out giving it an almost animated look. some like it, some don't. i do, gives more depth IMO. the thing with getting a 120hz HDTV is that usually you're getting a better picture tv in general than a 60hz tv because it'll have better specs and features (contrast, response time, black levels, PIP, etc.) than the 60hz tv. It's kinda like 1080p: it's overkill for anything less than 50", but it's the only way to also get higher contrast, lower response time, and best colors/blacks in the picture than 720p tv's.[/quote]Can you adjust the auto motion plus? Or is it just on all of the time?

120hz is important for watching 24fps (film) material, like most movies.

Since most TVs refresh at 60hz, the 24fps needs to be converted to 60fps to match, which is achieved with a 2:3 pulldown. This effectively gives you 4 frames of actual content for every 10 refreshes displayed on the TV. Because the number of frames decoded doesn't evenly go into the number of refreshes, there is a small bit of judder added to the video.

A 120hz TV can do away with the whole pulldown process and just display 5 copies of each frame (24*5 = 120). This is why the picture appears to be smoother, since no frame rate manipulation needs to occur to display correctly.

The only reason for 120hz is to have an even multiple of 24 and 30, so there is no reason for 3:2 pulldown on film based content.

Most models (at least last year) were mentioned to do frame interpolation instead of multiplying by 5 for film based content. Which absolutely boggles the mind. Wtf were they thinking? Seriously.

The super smooth bull shit mode they added does frame interpolation. I hate it. It's a cheap marketing tactic, like those contrast numbers in the orders of 50,000:1 and 100,000:1 (read: bull shit).

120hz will NOT change color, contrast, blacks, whites... it's not related.

Here is a good resource:

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/hom...24-signal-multiplies-original-frame-rate.html

Bottom line is that for the cost you're going to pay, it's not worth it. It's a minor issue at best, and the majority of casual viewers won't really notice the difference unless you look for it.

Thanks for all of the info guys, but none of it matters anymore. My notebook is about to bite the dust (busted fans), so all of my money will have to go towards replacing my computer. All of the saving and research and this happens. Sigh, I just died a little inside.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Thanks for all of the info guys, but none of it matters anymore. My notebook is about to bite the dust (busted fans), so all of my money will have to go towards replacing my computer. All of the saving and research and this happens. Sigh, I just died a little inside.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that.

bread's done
Back