How Is GrimGrimoire?

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
I know about Odin Sphere :)drool: and I so want to get this one once I free up some cash), but how is this one. I personally haven't heard much about it and it sounds intriguiing.

It's a nice simplified RTS. The art and story sequences are very well done and the battle interface is fairly easy to use. The game does a nice job of breaking up the 4 groups and allowing you to mix and match units, albeit there's specific strategies that tend to always work so you might fall into that rut in the latter missions. It's very short (~15 hours), so it might not be worth full price for you, but I had fun going back through the bonus missions. Unfortunately, after the 25 story & 25 bonus missions, there's not much else.

I generally use gametrailers for reviews. They do a very good breakdown analysis on games.

[media] http://youtube.com/watch?v=hvfTCxgdfc8 [/media]

It does have a interesting storyline, sort of like Groundhogs day, where the same day constantly looping around with some interesting plot twist.

Grimgrimoire is really a simplified real time strategy game(rts). Like any rts, you can hire units to gather resources then use these resources to improve your army. The biggest distinction is you can build 4 different group, and pause control. This feature is add in to compensate the lack of buttons or hotkey in a playstation 2 controller. When selecting your units or creating commands the screen pause giving better control of your units. Greats for beginnings who don't like the overcomplicated hot key commands in pc rts like micro mangement. To serious rts players, find these controls very cumbersome. Another problem is lack of multiplayer and it is very short game,it takes about 15 hours to beat.

Regardless, the game is very enjoyable to play with it's distinctive artist style and game play.

For me, I rather play pc rts instead. They are so much better with maps creation, unit control, free online play, patches to balance game play, multi player, lower cost ,and you can download custom maps.

Hardcore RTS players will be frustrated by the simplicity of the game. Inexperienced players may be frustrated at how complicated the battles can get. Thankfully there is a VERY involved and well-written tutorial segment which can be played multiple times. This game is primarily for those who enjoy the art style, and are familiar with how to play an RTS but are not masters of the genre.

Me, in other words. :)

I had a great time with it, the visuals are grand, the story and acting decent and the pacing fun.
On normal mode it is easy, and the ai does mostly the same thing every time (waiting and sending out small troops from time to time).
It is slower paced than a real time strategy, but the strategy is certainly there as it is in chess even though there are so few chess pieces/factions. I would have liked the ai to be less scripted.

But it really is no more like odin sphere than it is like madden.

I liked it. The story in the beginning reminded me a little of Harry Potter. I don't usually play RTS games. The last one I played was Warcraft 3. The RTS elements in this game were really easy to pick up and the AI was pretty predictable, but it's still a fun game. I'm surprised how well this controls using the PS2 controller. I never thought it would have been possible.

Since you bought up the Harry Potter thing, I just want to say that the names in the game are based off of alcoholic drinks. Though in localization they decided to change Drask to Dore so the game gives off a bit more of a Harry Potter vibe than it really should.

Not directed at nakedsushi but I thought it was a kinda interesting fact of the game.

I was kind of liking how this game has a sort of Disgaea look/vibe going for it, but I think I'll just get Odin Sphere since I doubt that will drop in price anytime soon, if at all.

bread's done
Back