How little can you spend on a cell phone?

mrchainsaw

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
I've never really needed one until now. I wouldn't talk nearly enough for most plans and most are too expensive for me. Are there any basic, bare bones plans for cheap? Are those prepaid plans good deals?

you can get a prepaid phone for ~$15 on sale and then just put $20 on it every three months so the minutes dont expire. I think most phones come with $10 worth of minutes to start.

I'd recommend the Virgin Mobile prepaid. Flexible plans and cheaper than most (no daily charge, text packages, etc.). Be warned that most pay-go phones have fairly crappy coverage outside of decent sized cities and interstates.

After reading up a little on prepaid plans, it seems like I'd spend almost as much if I were to use the phone everyday because of their service charges.

Man, everything seems so expensive these days and it also seems like I need more junk than ever. I should get rid of everything and live Thoreau style.:lol:

Go to FatWallet. Look for SERO.

$29.99 for unlimited nights weekends and text, and 500 anytime minutes. Free phone too (basic). And no activation fee.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']After reading up a little on prepaid plans, it seems like I'd spend almost as much if I were to use the phone everyday because of their service charges.

Man, everything seems so expensive these days and it also seems like I need more junk than ever. I should get rid of everything and live Thoreau style.:lol:[/quote]
If you go with AT&T and get the 25¢ per minute plan, there are no service charges. They have phones for $20 at walmart that come with $10 of airtime that expires in 30 days. If you refill with $100, it's good for 365 days, $75/$50/$25 is good for 90 days and $15 is good for 30 days. Text messages run 15¢ each. Personally I picked up a refurb'd Nokia 6085 that has a mp3 player, camera, and bluetooth for $50 off of their website.

I just saw they have a nokia 2610 refurb for $10 with free 2 day shipping on the website, you can't get much cheaper than that for prepaid.

i picked up a $6 phone during black friday
i spend about $15 a month on airtime :)

edit: i do the att pay as you go with the simple plan. 25 cents a minute, no service charge

If they're good in your area, I suggest T-Mobile prepaid. Phones can be found for relatively cheap (theres always a deal that pops up for a free/cheap phone from them), and the rates are very good (as low as 10 cents a minute). Once you add over $100 worth of airtime, your minutes are good for a year, and you get bonus minutes. I used to use them for prepaid (I'm now on a family plan), but I'd suggest just dropping down $100 to start. That'll get you 1000 minutes good for 365 days. Can't really beat it as far as I'm concerned.

bread's done
Back