How long should I wait to file a complaint/leave negative feedback?

Cleaner7

CAGiversary!
Feedback
52 (100%)
A fellow CAG and I agreed to the following trade:
I give him $ + Crackdown for a Guitar Hero III bundle.

Since his bundle is worth more (even though he has lower feedback) we agreed that I'd send the money, then he'd send the game, and finally I send my game. (Yeah, I know, stupid move. :bomb: )

Last Sunday night (November 4) I sent him the money on PayPal using my credit card since I wasn't getting paid until that Friday and I wanted to get the game ASAP. The guy said he'd ship the game the next day and he appreciated my quick payment. Well the next day he PMs me and says the money will take a few days to clear since I used a credit card. He didn't have money to ship it out of pocket and I was totally fine with that since it was fair that we made sure my payment cleared. All I requested was that he keep me updated on the status and shipped when the money cleared.

Later in the week I still hadn't heard from the guy. I began to worry since I've never had problems using a CC before and he still hadn't PM'd me. I decide to wait and PM him on Friday night just to check in on things. He didn't log in until yesterday (Monday). I figured with the long weekend and no shipping on Monday that he'd just wait until Tuesday (today) to ship it. Still no response.

I've been checking and he's logged in at least 2 times since I sent my message. It seems to me that he's obviously ignoring me and doesn't plan on carrying through with the deal. Earlier today I sent him a message simply saying that maybe he missed my previous messages or maybe something came up and he couldn't sell the game anymore. I stated that I would happily take a refund if something was wrong and hopefully we can clear this situation up.

Well I just got home and still no message. He has logged in since I sent my message earlier. I decided to send him another message and this time I was direct. Pretty much I said that it seems that he's ignoring my messages and doesn't plan on going through with the deal. My request was that he reply by the end of the day tomorrow otherwise I'll have to leave some negative feedback.

How long should I wait to file a complaint with PayPal? Or am I simply overreacting? My gut has been telling me since last week that he's a scammer and I've been trying to be nice, but he won't even return any of my messages even though he's logged in quite a bit. I hate to nag, but he could at least respond seeing how he's been logging in regularly now.

Any help/advice would be great. Thanks for any help that I obtain.

I've never had something like this happen to me before so sorry if I am overreacting. It's just a new experience that I don't really know how to handle.

Tell us his name and since you use CC you can call your CC company to charge back. From my experience it's useless to report it to PayPal. If his PayPal account has no $$, you get zero money back. When he said he want to wait until the payment to clear, I think he has taken out all the money in his PayPal.

How much did you end up paying him? I remember him a while back asking why people with him was upset over games. He said they was mint when they was scarthed all to well you know :lol:

^ Yeah, that's the thread I was just reading. He sent someone a "like-new" game (well in his opinion), but it had scratches on it, which IMO is NOT like-new.

Now I'm out $60 and my cousin gets no birthday present until next month. My first negative experience on CAG. It sucks. And I was already broke to begin with, but I became addicted to the GH3 demo and I REALLY wanted it so I jumped at the opportunity of a pretty good deal. Looks like it was too good to be true.

For future reference, how would you guys suggest I handle a potential deal where I have higher feedback, but the other person's stuff is worth more? Maybe I should've only sent 1/2 of the money to cover shipping costs and then wait til I receive the package before sending the other 1/2 and whatever else. Is that a good idea?

[quote name='Cleaner7']^ Yeah, that's the thread I was just reading. He sent someone a "like-new" game (well in his opinion), but it had scratches on it, which IMO is NOT like-new.

Now I'm out $60 and my cousin gets no birthday present until next month. My first negative experience on CAG. It sucks. And I was already broke to begin with, but I became addicted to the GH3 demo and have always been interested in the game that I REALLY wanted it so I jumped at the opportunity of a pretty good deal. Looks like it was too good to be true.

For future reference, how would you guys suggest I handle a potential deal where I have higher feedback, but the other person's stuff is worth more? Maybe I should've only sent 1/2 of the money to cover shipping costs and then wait til I receive the package before sending the other 1/2 and whatever else. Is that a good idea?[/quote]

Yeah he either had no idea how to tell or just said it was like new. Hopefully you get it settled. I assume your able to get your money back with a charge back right?

Hopefully I can get a charge back. I've never done it before and will call my credit card company tomorrow since I'm tired and still have to finish an essay. When should I leave him negative feedback on here? Should I do it now or wait until tomorrow?

PM Shrike or one of the other mods. They may put him in Trade TimeOut, so people know not to do any more deals and they can help you guys mediate the situation. No need to leave neagtive feedback yet since it isn't resolved.

If he proves unresponsive, you can file a claim with Paypal, etc. I wouldn't get the ball rolling on that just yet, wait and see if you can settle it on CAG.

In the future, you can hold to a policy of "lower feedback ships first always" regardless of value. It's not foolproof. If he has 1 trade to your 50, then obviously theres higher risk for you. If it's 50-49, then it gets a bit ridiculous. If he's going to rip you off, he's going to rip you off, regardless of feedback count.

[quote name='Cleaner7']For future reference, how would you guys suggest I handle a potential deal where I have higher feedback, but the other person's stuff is worth more? Maybe I should've only sent 1/2 of the money to cover shipping costs and then wait til I receive the package before sending the other 1/2 and whatever else. Is that a good idea?[/quote]
If their feedback is less than 10, I wouldn't risk trading a high-profile/pricey item like GH3, personally.

Well originally he was supposed to send it last Monday. I never got an official date after that so I guess it's been more than a week since I've gotten any kind of response.

I really want to settle this on CAG so I'll PM a mod right now.

And I was trying to hold to that feedback policy, but figured I'd give him a chance since I try to be nice and give people the benefit of the doubt plus he's been on CAG for almost a year now. Guess I'll have to be strict with the policy now. Consider this a lesson learned.

Thanks for all the helpful information everyone!

Giving people a chance is fine, and it makes CAG a friendlier place than everyone refusing to deal with less than 10 feedback folks. Some people are just going to ruin that though, and some people are going to get burned.

Just use a little risk assessment in the future. If the deal sounds way too good, it probably is. If you don't like the way they're communicating, then just call it off. Having them send first is perfectly reasonable in this situation, and it is something of a CAG "rule". If they balk at sending first, it should be a red flag. You don't have to negotiate on that kind of thing if you don't want to.

Was it a 360 GH3 bundle?

Yes, it was a 360 bundle.

I was initially fishy on why someone would be willing to sell it for $90 shipped so I asked him. He said he ordered it from Gamestop (I think that's the store) and they accidentily sent him 2 so he was selling the extra. Yes, this should've raised a red flag, but I've heard other stories of this happening so it wasn't completely out there. I should've stuck with my instinct on it was too good to be true.

Also, it was perfect for me since I've been trying to sell/trade Crackdown and it lowered the overall price of the bundle for me since I'm on a tight budget. It also seemed reasonable since he was basically going to get a free game and pocket extra cash if indeed Gamestop sent him 2 copies, but I guess they didn't and he just wanted my money. Now I'm kind of embarrassed for sharing in my stupidity and how I got conned, but if it will prevent him from doing it again, then I guess I can live with it.

Oh and I just PM'd shrike. Hopefully he will bestow his infinite knowledge on me.

[quote name='Cleaner7']For future reference, how would you guys suggest I handle a potential deal where I have higher feedback, but the other person's stuff is worth more? Maybe I should've only sent 1/2 of the money to cover shipping costs and then wait til I receive the package before sending the other 1/2 and whatever else. Is that a good idea?[/quote]
Since you have significantly higher feedback, I would have made him send the bundle, then when it arrived as described, I would have sent the PayPal, and mailed his game out. No matter what the value of the trade, you have a track record where you've established trust. At only +2, he hadn't yet. I've made a bunch of trades with brand new CAG traders. But I will simply not ship until the other CAG's item arrives exactly as described. It's a fantastic trading safeguard, and you have every right to take full advantage of it.

Thanks for the tips guys. Now I'm just waiting on shrike (or if another forum moderator sees this) to message me back. Hopefully we can resolve this issue immediately.

[quote name='jman619']How much did you end up paying him? I remember him a while back asking why people with him was upset over games. He said they was mint when they was scarthed all to well you know :lol:[/QUOTE]
i was the guy that had the game scratched all to hell from strikevillian. he sent me a jacked up RB6V disc and in his description it was like new. then i got it and it was like "jacked up". i sent it back to him and he whined over having to pay shipping for me to send it back. i wound up just getting him to confess that he was wrong over xbox live and then i ate the shipping costs. i was gonna trade with him earlier and then i backed out cuz i remembered who the heck he was from our previous dealings.

Sorry about that shrike and thanks for the redirection. I just PM'd LinkinPrime since he was the closest local mod and I always see him on CAG.

Major Update:

I decided to escalate my dispute to a claim on November 15th. PayPal said they'd give the seller until Sunday, November 25th to reply. If he doesn't reply, then they'll decide the case in my favor. Well now it's the 26th and I decided to see if he ever replied. He didn't so I was excited that I'd won the case... Well PayPal said they decided the claim in my favor, but they were unable to retreive any money. The bastard probably closed his accounts before they would do anything. Ugh I'm so pissed off!

Right now I went to check my credit card statement and they charged me an overlimit fee because I didn't receive a refund and it took them longer than they said to receive my payment. I just paid the bill and was under and suddenly now I'm over because of this bs. I'm going to dispute the charge and hope that they'll refund me the $60 this jerk ripped me off as well as the $39 overlimit fee associated with his charge. It really pisses me off because basically I just got charged $99 for nothing and at that rate I could've just bought the damn item myself, which I just did this weekend so in essence I just paid for it twice and only got 1 item.

Have you guys ever disputed a charge with CapitalOne? Should I call them or just do it online. They say to try and contact the guy and gave me this info:

PAYPAL *JEREMYSANTA

402-935-7733, CA

Should I actually try calling him? I don't think he'll refund my cash. He knowingly took my money and ran. I even saw his name on the TeamXbox forums. Should I try messaging him there too? I mean I thought I'd be done with this, but now I have to go through another series of investigation with CapitalOne since PayPal failed me and I'm super pissed.

Sorry, I just had to rant. LinkinPrime banned strikevillain from the forums last week. It seems like he is gone and so is my money. Damn this sucks!

bread's done
Back