How long 'till V2?

valleyvampiress

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm really not looking forward the the problems that may come from being and early adopter of the PS3 so I was wondering how long do you think it would be 'till Sony releases an updated version of their PS3?

[quote name='valleyvampiress']I'm a wanky troll who wants to start a flamebait thread premised on hearsay about a system that's completely unsubstantiated by any real world evidence. I may or may not buy a console based on things that may or may not happen to it. FEED THE BITCH![/QUOTE]

no, sir, thank you.

[quote name='rodeojones903']This is a joke right? Nobody can be that stupid to ask this question before the system has even been out a month.[/QUOTE]
I am asking because I'd like to know if it would be worth waiting or not (timeframe wise). I don't understand what the big deal is. I am not going to just grab one up just because I can. I'd like to feel safe in my purchase without worrying if things are going to mess up on me. We all know how first versions can be.

mykevermin, you are a jerk. I actually want a PS3 and have nothing against it. Seems from your post, you are the one starting the flaming.

dont listen to them, those were both ass-hole comments. I think a new version will come come out some time after cristmass. maybe around or slightly after newyears.

[quote name='valleyvampiress']I am asking because I'd like to know if it would be worth waiting or not (timeframe wise). I don't understand what the big deal is. I am not going to just grab one up just because I can. I'd like to feel safe in my purchase without worrying if things are going to mess up on me. We all know how first versions can be.

mykevermin, you are a jerk. I actually want a PS3 and have nothing against it. Seems from your post, you are the one starting the flaming.[/QUOTE]
Well your question isn't a very good one. Sony is probably worrying about getting consoles to stores, not remaking a 3 week old console.

If you are waiting for another version you are going to be waiting a looong time.

[quote name='White-Wolf']dont listen to them, those were both ass-hole comments. I think a new version will come come out some time after cristmass. maybe around or slightly after newyears.[/QUOTE]

Why would they release a NEW version? They basically said the console is FUTURE PROOF and updates will happen via online updates.

well when we got the ps2 (in the usa), it was already on v3 or so... give it a 3 mounths and maybe v2 maybe be out. When we say v we mean motherboard ect, not entier system.

nothing is FUTURE PROOF

sure as hell less than it took Nintendo to go from GBA --> GBA SP --> GBA Micro
or DS --> DS lite.

Probably 3-4 years.

that is unless you're talking about the actual V designations for the ps2. In that case I got my Ps2 after a few months from launch and it was V3

Wait a year. I usually wait that long to buy any console. The only exception was with the PSP and that left a bad enough taste in my mouth to never buy a system at launch.

what are you talking about, PSP's have a very high reliability rate. And buying a launch PSP is probably the best decision ever since it came with 1.5 firmware.

[quote name='chrishicks']I hear Sony is working on a PS3 slim as we speak. it it suspected to be released on 4-1-07.[/QUOTE]

bush-internets.jpg

Wow, a bunch of jerks around here.

I think the question was not "When is the Slim PS3 coming out?" but when will the first hardware revision hit. The Fat PS2 went through numerous changes in its life span internally before the slim hit; the PS1 lost its native RCA connectors, the Gamecube lost its digital out port.

Smaller things happen to stream-line the production and cut costs in a physical model's lifetime, and in doing so, often help take a few point-of-failures out of the equation to hopefully produce a more solid piece of hardware.

My guess is that by June we'll see a PS3 with a little bit different innards. Sony has to streamline the way they make these things or they're going to be hemorrhaging money forever.

[quote name='valleyvampiress']I'm really not looking forward the the problems that may come from being and early adopter of the PS3 so I was wondering how long do you think it would be 'till Sony releases an updated version of their PS3?[/quote]

yea itll be the ps4, wait for it........

keep waiting........

:roll:

[quote name='daroga']Smaller things happen to stream-line the production and cut costs in a physical model's lifetime, and in doing so, often help take a few point-of-failures out of the equation to hopefully produce a more solid piece of hardware.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean by this, but since there is such a shortage I would think Sony would concentrate on mass producing units in the design they currently have, as opposed to changing things up.

Also, when you do see a V2 or V3 change, it will most likely have to do with the Blu-Ray drive, as that technology matures and the chips become cheaper and easier to make.

[quote name='jalu6']I know what you mean by this, but since there is such a shortage I would think Sony would concentrate on mass producing units in the design they currently have, as opposed to changing things up.[/quote] True enough, yet I'm sure there's some team working on making changes that will allow them to produce systems faster, not just make more reliable and/or cheaper machines. Once a new line opens up, they'll use the optimized way and then backtrack to exisiting lines.

"Future proof"? And therein lies the problem. They snub their noses at the millions of early HDTV adopters (mine is a 1999 model, yes there was HDTV back then) which can do 1080i but not 720p or 1080p and say "screw you" get a newer TV (preferably Sony of course).

Well I say screw them and just bought a 360.

And this problem (upscaling 720p to 1080i for older TV's which can't do the conversion for themselves) is NOT something that can be handled via a firmware upgrade, so for me to ever own a PS3 there damn well has to be a version 2!

Well that or one of my kids letting loose with their wiimote and smashing the 61" all to hell... :)

TexTuna

[quote name='doubledown']Why would they release a NEW version? They basically said the console is FUTURE PROOF and updates will happen via online updates.[/quote]

[quote name='chrishicks']didn't notice the date I take it.[/QUOTE]

oh, that makes it all the more legit. Just like how you will die on 04/20/2007
I heard it on the internets somewhere, it must be true.

[quote name='whoknows']Well your question isn't a very good one. Sony is probably worrying about getting consoles to stores, not remaking a 3 week old console.

If you are waiting for another version you are going to be waiting a looong time.[/QUOTE]
Why isn't it a good one? You just answered my question. I wanted to know if it was worth waiting for. According to you, it is not. Thanks for the answer to my question.

[quote name='daroga']Wow, a bunch of jerks around here.

I think the question was not "When is the Slim PS3 coming out?" but when will the first hardware revision hit. The Fat PS2 went through numerous changes in its life span internally before the slim hit; the PS1 lost its native RCA connectors, the Gamecube lost its digital out port.

Smaller things happen to stream-line the production and cut costs in a physical model's lifetime, and in doing so, often help take a few point-of-failures out of the equation to hopefully produce a more solid piece of hardware.

My guess is that by June we'll see a PS3 with a little bit different innards. Sony has to streamline the way they make these things or they're going to be hemorrhaging money forever.[/QUOTE]
Yes, you are right. I meant a hardware revision. I didn't realize why people were making such a big deal out of the question, but now I understand. And thanks for the answer. I guess the real question for me now is am I willing to wait that long.

[quote name='TexTuna']"Future proof"? And therein lies the problem. They snub their noses at the millions of early HDTV adopters (mine is a 1999 model, yes there was HDTV back then) which can do 1080i but not 720p or 1080p and say "screw you" get a newer TV (preferably Sony of course).

Well I say screw them and just bought a 360.

And this problem (upscaling 720p to 1080i for older TV's which can't do the conversion for themselves) is NOT something that can be handled via a firmware upgrade, so for me to ever own a PS3 there damn well has to be a version 2!

Well that or one of my kids letting loose with their wiimote and smashing the 61" all to hell... :)

TexTuna[/QUOTE]

Bingo! This is the "revision" I'm waiting for. The kicker is that many of the imcompatible HDTVs are Sony models (like mine!). And mine isn't nearly as old as yours - I got it in Fall 2003. It has been a great widescreen large EDTV for 3 years for us (running pro scan for DVDs, the GC, the PS2, and now the Wii). I wanted to get into some HD gaming sooner or later. I'm going to give Sony a few months to decide on a single answer for the upscaling problem and then, if not, buy a 360, despite the fact that there's only a handful of games on it I'd like. So far their answers have been "what problem?", "it's your TV's fault", "It only applied to a tiny fraction of people" (yet it seems to be a common problem here on CAG). None of those are acceptible. If they come right out and say "Sorry, you're screwed" then I'll know where to go. If they claim they will revise the hardware (maybe borrow that upscaler chip from MS ;)) then I will wait for one. Problem is, they will probably give some wishy-washy in between answer.

mykevermin, you are a jerk.

So my "Ignore List" addition is indeed validated.

Look, the key thing to consider is that the PS3 really isn't even currently worth owning for all but the most affluent or, um, 'dedicated' Sony, uh, 'enthusiasts'. It's going to take a good six months for it to have a handful of solid, (timed-)exclusive titles, if not longer. I would venture a guess that the improved "version" will start being manufactured around that time frame (Summer?).

They've also got their work ahead of them with their Shane Bettenhausen-approved 'free' online service, from what I hear, so there's yet another reason to 'hibernate' on this system for the next few months. Hey, they said it themselves. You're "paying for potential".

It seems like hardly anybody understood his question. He didn't ask when a redesign would come out. He asked when a new version number of the ps3 would come out.

[quote name='2poor']It seems like hardly anybody understood his question. He didn't ask when a redesign would come out. He asked when a new version number of the ps3 would come out.[/QUOTE]

The inherent problem with this (I'll ignore any semantics-related issues from the OP from now on) is that it assumes the motive for hardware revisions is to make the console more stable, or replace problematic parts with nonproblematic parts. The true motivation for hardware revisions, however, is the cost of goods. If it can be made cheaper elsewhere...bam! hardware revision.

The case of the 360s with the 65nm chip is just one example where cost and reliability improvements come hand in hand. Few changes are of that sort. If this was the case, as a gamer community we would know which hardware versions of the PS1 and PS2 were reliable and which weren't (much the same way we did with Xbox consoles and DVD Drives/hardware versions). Instead, the general consensus is "PS1 and PS2 systems break at a very high rate," with no mention whatsoever of hardware version.

In the end, OP, it's a fool's errand, and an ironic one, too. I've not read of any massive hardware problems with the PS3 at all (save for synching issues with the controller). I've not read of any dying, or failing...CheapyD has his issues, but they were easily fixed on the software end. Much unlike (and here's the irony), the Xbox 360. You're asking about questions that don't need an answer because there's no substance to it. I'm not trying to be malicious (now, anyway), but merely pointing out that your worry about the PS3 hardware being inferior or defective is simply unwarranted, and has as much evidence to support it as the claim that "the sky is falling."

[quote name='valleyvampiress']I'm really not looking forward the the problems that may come from being and early adopter of the PS3 so I was wondering how long do you think it would be 'till Sony releases an updated version of their PS3?[/quote]

4 years.

I think we allready know the answer - at least I do.

Sony is not a stupid company. They knew full well that the PS3 would not upscale 720p to 1080i on older HDTV's.

There isn't alot of concern about this issue from many CAG's for one very simple reason - they own a newer model HDTV that can do 720P!

Sony knew about the incompatability too - but don't you ever forget that they are a TV manufacturer as well. If releasing the PS3 without allowing older HDTV owners to take full advantage pushes them over the edge to upgrade - then so be it, more potential money in our pockets. And the longer the ambiguity exists in this area with the longer the consumers are thrashing around on the fenceposts trying to make their decisions - the longer the time for them to decide it is time to upgrade to another TV. Not to mention saying ANYTHING impacts their PS3 sales - if they say they will come out with another version to remedy this problem people will want to wait till that new version comes out to purchase it. If they come out and say "Sorry, we aren't going to create another version for you older SOL HDTV owners", then bang they loose them to Microsoft and the 360. Their right between a rock and a hard place and they put themselves there - which is exactly why they just had a major shakeup in their management.

TexTuna

[quote name='io']Bingo! This is the "revision" I'm waiting for. The kicker is that many of the imcompatible HDTVs are Sony models (like mine!). And mine isn't nearly as old as yours - I got it in Fall 2003. It has been a great widescreen large EDTV for 3 years for us (running pro scan for DVDs, the GC, the PS2, and now the Wii). I wanted to get into some HD gaming sooner or later. I'm going to give Sony a few months to decide on a single answer for the upscaling problem and then, if not, buy a 360, despite the fact that there's only a handful of games on it I'd like. So far their answers have been "what problem?", "it's your TV's fault", "It only applied to a tiny fraction of people" (yet it seems to be a common problem here on CAG). None of those are acceptible. If they come right out and say "Sorry, you're screwed" then I'll know where to go. If they claim they will revise the hardware (maybe borrow that upscaler chip from MS ;)) then I will wait for one. Problem is, they will probably give some wishy-washy in between answer.[/quote]

my first PS2 I bought in late 2000 was V2
last ps2 I bought 2004 was V9
V9 was the last regular sized ps2

Usually the revisions don't do much anyway. The majority of the reason is to make things harder for modders and cut down production costs.

[quote name='2poor']It seems like hardly anybody understood his question. He didn't ask when a redesign would come out. He asked when a new version number of the ps3 would come out.[/QUOTE]
I am a girl, but yes you're right, that is what I meant.

[quote name='mykevermin']The inherent problem with this (I'll ignore any semantics-related issues from the OP from now on) is that it assumes the motive for hardware revisions is to make the console more stable, or replace problematic parts with nonproblematic parts. The true motivation for hardware revisions, however, is the cost of goods. If it can be made cheaper elsewhere...bam! hardware revision.

The case of the 360s with the 65nm chip is just one example where cost and reliability improvements come hand in hand. Few changes are of that sort. If this was the case, as a gamer community we would know which hardware versions of the PS1 and PS2 were reliable and which weren't (much the same way we did with Xbox consoles and DVD Drives/hardware versions). Instead, the general consensus is "PS1 and PS2 systems break at a very high rate," with no mention whatsoever of hardware version.

In the end, OP, it's a fool's errand, and an ironic one, too. I've not read of any massive hardware problems with the PS3 at all (save for synching issues with the controller). I've not read of any dying, or failing...CheapyD has his issues, but they were easily fixed on the software end. Much unlike (and here's the irony), the Xbox 360. You're asking about questions that don't need an answer because there's no substance to it. I'm not trying to be malicious (now, anyway), but merely pointing out that your worry about the PS3 hardware being inferior or defective is simply unwarranted, and has as much evidence to support it as the claim that "the sky is falling."[/QUOTE]

I didn't say this was just a PS3 problem. You are assuming too much from such a small post. You took out some kind of rage on me that I didn't deserve. My opinions on version one consoles are my opinions. My question was when (like an approximated date) would there be another version coming out. My question was not asking people to agree or disagree with me on my stance on version one consoles.

[quote name='Zoglog']oh, that makes it all the more legit. Just like how you will die on 04/20/2007
I heard it on the internets somewhere, it must be true.[/QUOTE]

Or the date is April Fool's Day, meaning he was making a joke, which went right over your head.

[quote name='trq']Or the date is April Fool's Day, meaning he was making a joke, which went right over your head.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, we are not aware of that custom in Asia =p

[quote name='valleyvampiress']I didn't say this was just a PS3 problem. You are assuming too much from such a small post. You took out some kind of rage on me that I didn't deserve. My opinions on version one consoles are my opinions. My question was when (like an approximated date) would there be another version coming out. My question was not asking people to agree or disagree with me on my stance on version one consoles.[/QUOTE]

Well, in that case, companies don't announce hardware revisions - the expected date of release is only known after it happens (and some hardware ace notices subtle differences in the console they're dissecting).

[quote name='TexTuna']
There isn't alot of concern about this issue from many CAG's for one very simple reason - they own a newer model HDTV that can do 720P!

Sony knew about the incompatability too - but don't you ever forget that they are a TV manufacturer as well. If releasing the PS3 without allowing older HDTV owners to take full advantage pushes them over the edge to upgrade - then so be it, more potential money in our pockets. [/QUOTE]

There's more than a few CAG's with this problem, so it isn't as minor as Sony would like to pretend it is.

Now, having said that, I will probably, eventually, get a new TV anyway. Not necessarily to be compatible with the PS3, but more for 1080p. However, if Sony ignores this issue there is one thing I will be sure of - I will NOT be getting a Sony brand TV again (and I have always bought Sony TV's, digital camcorders, etc). I will avoid every one of their electronics items (though, of course, I will get a PS3 eventually if the right games come out for it). But, in general, I don't want to reward them for the "pushing over the edge" strategy that I'm sure they are banking on. (Just like they suggested in another forum that you pick up their $1400 HD receiver with a built-in upscaler to fix this issue!).

A lot of people have older HDTVs that have this issue with the PS3. BTW if you haven't noticed, Sony is getting owned by the competition in TVs.

bread's done
Back