How long until we see more video games remakes ?

KingDox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
And do we really need them ? The only remake I've played is Metroid Zero mission. But I'm sure there are going to be all sorts made in the near future. As the price of game development goes up it only makes sense that the video game companies will start being like Hollywood and remake old games on news consoles. They'll save money on developing a story, and characters and they can even recycle musical score. Plus they'll have a built in user base who remember how awesome the game was the first time they played it. Sure they might ad a feature here and there but it's still going to have the same story. And isn't story a big part of playing a game ?

It's like remaking a Black and white movie. Sure you can create a new version of King Kong with all kinds of cool CGI and 5.1 sound, but is it a better movie ? Shouldn't we consider the original movie/game being remade as being great for being so innovative at the time ? I mean we can't have people always claim the newest version is the best. Otherwise how can we expect people to consider games a real form a media like movies and music. Remakes are not always better, the music and movies industry has show us this.

Anyways, it just something I was thinking about.

*goes and watches 1953 version of war or the worlds*

The only remakes I've played are Megaman Powered Up and Megaman Maverick Hunter X. Proof that remakes can kick all sorts of ass.

I hope we don't see a lot of remakes in the gaming industry. It's getting out of control in Hollywood.

That said, I would love to see a 2D remake of Cybernator.

[quote name='captainfrizo']I hope we don't see a lot of remakes in the gaming industry. It's getting out of control in Hollywood.

That said, I would love to see a 2D remake of Cybernator.[/quote]
Heck. Yes.

[quote name='captainfrizo']I hope we don't see a lot of remakes in the gaming industry. It's getting out of control in Hollywood.

That said, I would love to see a 2D remake of Cybernator.[/quote]

There is... kinda. Cybernator in Japan is called Assualt Suits Valken, theres another called Assault Suits Leynos. Anyway, theres an Assualt Suits game in Japan for the PS2, and I belive its a remake of the original Snes Cybernator game.

http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-2/assault-suits-valken/

I think it's tough to "remake" classics - because the technology and interactivity is changing too radically. I look at the recent Defender, Worms, and Bomberman remakes - to me they look like horrible games that will never be able to compare with the 2D glory of the originals.

Instead, I expect to keep seeing sequels with radically updated gameplay but familiar settings and characters (games like GTA3 and the new Wii Super Mario).

The only game remakes that I see buzz for are the hits/cult classics with gameplay that was ahead of their time (such as FF7, Valkyrie Profile, and Silent Hill) Suffice to say, in an industry that would rather crank out 50 dollar versions of the same old football game with a roster update and "Dynasty Warriors 96, Special Otaku Edition", this is a short list.

Yes, we do need remakes. Try going back and playing things like Silent Hill... the shitty graphics actually bring the whole experience down (at least for me). Same with FF7.

Does every game need a remake? Not really. Alot of 2-D games still hold up very well, and some of the late playstation stuff is still ok. However, I'd gladly take the cleaned up ports of RE 2 and 3 over their Playstation versions any day of the week.

Metroid: Zero Mission was more of a re-imagining, in my mind, since it added quite a bit of stuff, same with Megaman: Powered Up and RE for the Gamecube.

I guess, in conclusion, all popular games in the Playstation / Saturn era desperately need remakes. I think even decent looking stuff from the PS2 days will still look ok in the future, but early 3D, that is just garbage.

Silent Hill was innovative for its time, definately, but it's a bitch to play and alot of the "scare factor" is lost when everything looks kinda crappy. What games, in my mind, desperately need remakes?

Silent Hill
FF 7
Nights
Tenchu (first one was always the best one, imo)

These games will still be great with a graphical touchup. Konami is actually rumored to be doing a Silent Hill remake.

It's interesting how video game remakes are usually critically acclaimed while movie remakes are critically panned.

[quote name='Vegan']It's interesting how video game remakes are usually critically acclaimed while movie remakes are critically panned.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, alot of old movies still hold up really well, I think this is why alot of remakes get panned... there simply is no need for them.

I'm no graphics whore by any means, but games like Resident Evil desperately needed a remake... you lose some of the effects of the game when everything looks ridiculous.

[quote name='Vegan']It's interesting how video game remakes are usually critically acclaimed while movie remakes are critically panned.[/QUOTE]
Critically panned, yet make millions because idiots go see them, prompting producers to produce more and more bad cash-in remakes.

It's an endless cycle of ignorance and greed.

However, some remakes are great... and it's sad that it's regarded as a dirty word. In fact, some films need to be remade as, often times, the original sucked.

The next video game remake? In about five minutes. There will be an endless wave until such time as there aren't any old games that can benefit from a graphics overhaul or greater processing power to better execute the original concept. Even then peeople will seek to add further refinement in pursuit of creating new novelty.

Sometimes the only thing separating a new game from being a remake is the name brand. This has been going on forever. For instance, Neutopia on the PC Engine (I forget the original Japanese title) was a prettier Zelda game before the SNES Zelda could up the ante. The scrolling shooter genre has been an endless series of prettier variations on almost identical gameplay with a few gimmicks here and there to further distinguish some entries.

We're in the midst of a massive wave of revivals. Old games resurrected largely unchanged on new platforms. This is a staple of the GBA and has increased with various collection discs on console and will reach its culmination with the Wii, XBLA, and whatever Sony offers. The games that prove the most popular there will point publishers to which titles could do well as remakes or clones.

Another factor, especially for the oldest game archetypes, is new generations of coders learning their trade. Everybody produces their own clone of some classic just to achieve true understanding of how it really works. Thus an endless series of Space Invaders, Pac-man, Donkey Kong, and other clones. Pair that coder up with a budding artist and the latest hardware will always have some shareware choices for classic gameplay.

Another issue is how far back your memories go. Since I was never an NES owner, preferring machines like the Amiga computer to consoles back then, I never played the original Metroid. Nor was I interested in the GameBoy until the GBA, so I never played those entries, either. My first experience with the series was on the SNES. I spent plenty of time with other 8-bit systems like the Atari and Commodore computers. My minimum requirements for graphic quality are greater today.

Not hugely greater. But the severely limited color palettes and flickering sprites are things best left to the past.

Gameplay wise, the early titles do hold interest but not if it means dealing with some painfully antiquidated graphics. I tried the NES Classic Metroid but it was distractingly ugly and the memory limitations meant no mapping, which is very annoying for that kind of game. Metroid Zero Mission very well justifies its existence in making an old game accessible to later generations. The same can be said for the Mega Man remake on PSP.

Many of us older gamers bought GBA versions of games we first bought on the SNES or even NES. At the same time millions of sales went to young gamers who weren't even born when those games first appeared. They've never known a world where the NES was as good as it got for an inexpensive console. By and large, they aren't interested in experiencing NES graphics and sound outside of a history lesson. But they are interested in the games if offered in updated form.

Any company that owns the rights to successful games of long ago would be insane to forego selling to the younger audience and the older audience simultaneously for a lower cost than doing something entirely new.

There are so many great games that should be remade in the sense of just giving the graphics an overhaul and updating the field to 16x9. Imagine something like a FFVII or Soul Reaver remake with PS3 caliber graphics... :drool:

I'd even love Ocarina of Time and the other great N64 games (SM64, Banjo, Goldeneye, etc.) to get a new coat of paint but I can wait until Nintendo releases a more powerful system than the Wii.

I'd also like to see games like the original Zelda or LttP get remade/updated entirely in 3D kind of like how Resident Evil and MGS got huge updates on the Cube.

Even a game like SotN would be badass if they simply redrew everything in a different style like Viewtiful Joe or Okami... the possibilities for kickass remakes are endless, IMO.

[quote name='Puffa469']There is... kinda. Cybernator in Japan is called Assualt Suits Valken, theres another called Assault Suits Leynos. Anyway, theres an Assualt Suits game in Japan for the PS2, and I belive its a remake of the original Snes Cybernator game.

http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-2/assault-suits-valken/[/quote]Woot.

EDIT: My woot may have been in vain.

http://www.ntsc-uk.com/review.php?platform=ps2&game=AssaultSuitsValken

From the above article:

"The remake takes all this great gaming content and blithely throws it all away in favour of misjudged ‘enhancements’, resulting in utter mediocrity."

I'm still looking into it, but this might be one of those depressing remakes that adds omgubargrafix and forgets about the gameplay.

EDIT 2: Yeah, from what I'm reading, the remake is garbage.

However, googling Assault Suits Valken lead me to this site:

http://agtp.romhack.net/valken.html

What's this? A translation patch to the original Japanese version of Cybernator? Why?
Oh, they removed bunches of text and cutscenes for the US release? Okay, I'm in.

I've been saying this for YEARS. WHY not remake awesome games for new systems as they were?

ALA castlevania sotn and now the BIG BIG SUPRISE a new upgraded graphics 2 d aka oldschool new mario brothers game for the DS.

WHAT A SHOCKER!!!

You mean people want games they like remade with just better graphics without going stupid crazy in 3d??

People are seemingly shocked when 2d games do well.
theres only a small handfull of them but hopefully with more examples of great selling 2d games maybe companies will start making them again.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']I've been saying this for YEARS. WHY not remake awesome games for new systems as they were?

ALA castlevania sotn and now the BIG BIG SUPRISE a new upgraded graphics 2 d aka oldschool new mario brothers game for the DS.

WHAT A SHOCKER!!!

You mean people want games they like remade with just better graphics without going stupid crazy in 3d??

People are seemingly shocked when 2d games do well.
theres only a small handfull of them but hopefully with more examples of great selling 2d games maybe companies will start making them again.[/quote]
I'd really like to see games like SOTN updated with Guilty Gear quality 2D animation...but that would never happen.

As much as i would love to see some of my favorite older games redone, I hope it never happens.

The time and money it takes someone to make a remake of something could be better spent making something brand new and original. Of course that's wishful thinking. More often than not, the time and money is spent copying the basic mechanics of a great game and covering them with shitty everything else.

If someone doesn't like black and white movies because they are black and white thats fine, but dont shit in my games mouth and call it pizza because you dont like sprite graphics.

I want a remake of the following:

Crusader No Remorse
Tie Fighter
StarControl II
Cyberstorm: Missionforce
Bards Tale 1-3

I'd like the sequels to the following:

Freespace 3
Starcraft 2
SOTN 2- the "Kanomi says we fucked up and Castlevania realy is a 2d game"
Max Payne 3
Nexus 2

I'm really not a big fan of remakes, it's probablly the purist in me since I believe nothing beats the original (of course there are exceptions). For the most part I wish we could just move on and enhance the series we already have.

bread's done
Back