How long will eBay keep a case open?

Allwhowander

CAGiversary!
I sold an item to a buyer and five days after it was delivered, the buyer opened a case claiming the item wasn't as described (specifically that it "didn't work at all"). I tested it personally, but ok...

I was annoyed that the buyer didn't get in contact with me before opening the case and leaving neutral feedback despite the fact that my listing clearly said I offer a full refund for any problems, but I responded to the case by offering a full refund once the item was returned. It's been 2 weeks and I don't have the item back. The buyer hasn't responded since he opened the case and there's been no tracking info or anything provided to me. It's entirely possible that he shipped it as cheaply/slowly as he could and it just hasn't gotten here yet, but I'm wondering if he shipped it period.

My question is, how long eBay will keep the case open if the buyer never sends the item back? I can't find any information about cases expiring due to buyer inactivity. Also, if anyone has encountered a similar situation, do you have any advice on what steps I should take to avoid getting screwed by the buyer claiming he returned it when he didn't? Thanks.

21 days I believe; once 21 days have elapsed the case will automatically be closed in your favor if the buyer hasn't provided valid DC showing the item had been returned to you.

bread's done
Back