How many CAGs are vegetarians?

[quote name='x0thedeadzone0x'][quote name='masterh']vegetarianism really IS the Cheap-ass way to go.[/quote]

Hmm... the vegetarians I know tend to shop at wholefood market places, which are not cheap, AT ALL. But, for the others, I guess that's true.[/quote]

Vegetarian eating can fall at either end of the cheapass spectrum. While bulk foods and vegetables can often be fairly inexpensive (especially if one shops at a farmers' market instead of the grocery stores), specialty items and prepared foods are often through the roof because it is such a niche market. There is no vegetarian equivalent of those $1 frozen dinners, and most 10 cent ramens aren't strictly vegetarian (and don't strictly qualify as nourishment, either). I eat a lot of pasta (a vegetarian eating pasta?!? I'm sure everyone is shocked), which makes for some fairly inexpensive meals, even when combined with jarred sauce, TVP, and (a recent addition to my diet) nutritional yeast flakes. I'm thinking about trying my hand at sauce from scratch soon, but time is a limiting factor. I also eat Subway a lot, which is about average cheap for "fast food" (I get the footlong veggie delight, of course). Soymilk is pricier than regular milk, but I don't drink a whole lot of soymilk anyway. Buying tofu from a supermarket is a ripoff, if one is going to get tofu (I get a lot of it) buy it from an asian market for about half the price. I'd guess my diet doesn't cost much more or less than a healthy meat-based diet.

[quote name='guessed'][quote name='x0thedeadzone0x'][quote name='masterh']vegetarianism really IS the Cheap-ass way to go.[/quote]

Hmm... the vegetarians I know tend to shop at wholefood market places, which are not cheap, AT ALL. But, for the others, I guess that's true.[/quote]

Vegetarian eating can fall at either end of the cheapass spectrum. While bulk foods and vegetables can often be fairly inexpensive (especially if one shops at a farmers' market instead of the grocery stores), specialty items and prepared foods are often through the roof because it is such a niche market. There is no vegetarian equivalent of those $1 frozen dinners, and most 10 cent ramens aren't strictly vegetarian (and don't strictly qualify as nourishment, either). I eat a lot of pasta (a vegetarian eating pasta?!? I'm sure everyone is shocked), which makes for some fairly inexpensive meals, even when combined with jarred sauce, TVP, and (a recent addition to my diet) nutritional yeast flakes. I'm thinking about trying my hand at sauce from scratch soon, but time is a limiting factor. I also eat Subway a lot, which is about average cheap for "fast food" (I get the footlong veggie delight, of course). Soymilk is pricier than regular milk, but I don't drink a whole lot of soymilk anyway. Buying tofu from a supermarket is a ripoff, if one is going to get tofu (I get a lot of it) buy it from an asian market for about half the price. I'd guess my diet doesn't cost much more or less than a healthy meat-based diet.[/quote]

Yeah, I would say so too. But there are just a few people (vegetarians) I know who dedicatedly shop at wholefood places only. I've been in there a couple times, looked at the prices and they are just crazy, because it's quality stuff. Also, do you eat veggie meat? Even though i'm not one myself, I found some brands to actually be pretty good (destroying the myth for me that they're all bad), and they're pretty cheap, too.

I made veggie burgers in my cooking class and I actually prefered them to beef pattie burgers. Too bad I forgot the recipe. :p

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Jello is made out of Cow/Horse Bone Marrow AFAIK

And I've found that Vegetarian Girlfriends taste better.... personal preference.[/quote]

Actually today in English it was brought up that there are some studies that say Vegetarians are better in bed. I wouldnt know but just for speculation.
Also yesterday in Trigger Happy(first time i saw the show since i dont watch tv often) there were some cows on a field and a man in a cow suit with a sign that said "Skip the middle man, just eat me now" which was pretty funny too.

I love meat but for the people who dont thats no problem. I cant stand veggies and i would be mad if i had to eat it so i dont get mad at my vegetarian friends who dont like to eat meat.
Saying the comment about being a vegetarian is dumb...well in my opinion thats just dumb. You are "informed" on the topic but yet you speak narrowmindedly as if you werent so i do think you are acting ignorant if you feel people are less educated for making a personal decision which does not effect you in the end. Sure you have 2 vegetarian friends but just like you tell someone not to go with the group, you dont have to hang out with your friends if they bother you at all about it.

Also knowing a few vegetarians doesnt make you an expert IMHO. In a world full of billions of people there a plenty of people who wont meet the stereotype of not eating meat because "its cruel" or the stereotype that every human being thinks "Meat tase and smells good". In fact if i was a vegetarian and really despised meat then the smell of meat would make me sick. Looking at it would make me sick so there is no way that it would taste good to me.

As for price, i know this is CAG and all but i doubt anyone would give up their feeding habits to save a few bucks unless they absolutely had to, and even then they would still eat meat/veggies(whichever you feel cost more) when they had the chance.

I agree to disagree with you but thats just my two cents :wink:

[quote name='guessed']

I don't think I wrote anything indicative of whining. I was the only vegetarian, but there were other people who liked the same restaurants I did. But the few who were unwilling to eat at non-American style restaurants dictated where we would go when we all went out together. Being an office environment, there were many occasions when not going was not an option. [/quote]

This is not endemic to vegetarianism, though. That sounds like more of a case of a group unwilling to compromise, or a couple controlling folks.
When we go out to eat at work as a group, I'll chip in with suggestions or votes, and if it's someplace I don't want to go [like a deli/sandwich shop], I'll either try to weasel out [easy if I'm paying], or go and fake it [if the company's paying].
Sometimes when we're with people, we may have to do things we don't want to do, or go places we don't want to go, be it because of vegetariamism, allergies,personal tastes, whatever. That's part of being an adult.

[quote name='dtcarson'][quote name='guessed']

I don't think I wrote anything indicative of whining. I was the only vegetarian, but there were other people who liked the same restaurants I did. But the few who were unwilling to eat at non-American style restaurants dictated where we would go when we all went out together. Being an office environment, there were many occasions when not going was not an option. [/quote]

This is not endemic to vegetarianism, though. That sounds like more of a case of a group unwilling to compromise, or a couple controlling folks.
When we go out to eat at work as a group, I'll chip in with suggestions or votes, and if it's someplace I don't want to go [like a deli/sandwich shop], I'll either try to weasel out [easy if I'm paying], or go and fake it [if the company's paying].
Sometimes when we're with people, we may have to do things we don't want to do, or go places we don't want to go, be it because of vegetariamism, allergies,personal tastes, whatever. That's part of being an adult.[/quote]

True. I think part of what bothers me is that vegetarians are often considered "picky" eaters (I am always open to trying new non-animal-based foods), and when a compromise must be made, I am usually the one making it (not compromising my beliefs, mind you, just my comfort). Not always getting one's way is part of being an adult, but never getting one's way should not be (assuming one's way does not cause harm to others). Because vegetarianism is not the norm, and because so many people are so staunchly opposed to the concept of a non-animal-based diet (and I mean they somehow find the concept offensive, not just that they wouldn't do it themselves), vegetarians are sometimes treated as second-class citizens or worse. I do not understand how "I'm a vegetarian" is instigation for a heated argument, but many carnivores take it as a challenge.

[quote name='guessed']True. I think part of what bothers me is that vegetarians are often considered "picky" eaters (I am always open to trying new non-animal-based foods), and when a compromise must be made, I am usually the one making it (not compromising my beliefs, mind you, just my comfort). Not always getting one's way is part of being an adult, but never getting one's way should not be (assuming one's way does not cause harm to others). Because vegetarianism is not the norm, and because so many people are so staunchly opposed to the concept of a non-animal-based diet (and I mean they somehow find the concept offensive, not just that they wouldn't do it themselves), vegetarians are sometimes treated as second-class citizens or worse. I do not understand how "I'm a vegetarian" is instigation for a heated argument, but many carnivores take it as a challenge.[/quote]

Have any horror stories about getting non-vegetarians to go to any type of ethnic restaraunts?

myke.

[quote name='mykevermin'][quote name='guessed']True. I think part of what bothers me is that vegetarians are often considered "picky" eaters (I am always open to trying new non-animal-based foods), and when a compromise must be made, I am usually the one making it (not compromising my beliefs, mind you, just my comfort). Not always getting one's way is part of being an adult, but never getting one's way should not be (assuming one's way does not cause harm to others). Because vegetarianism is not the norm, and because so many people are so staunchly opposed to the concept of a non-animal-based diet (and I mean they somehow find the concept offensive, not just that they wouldn't do it themselves), vegetarians are sometimes treated as second-class citizens or worse. I do not understand how "I'm a vegetarian" is instigation for a heated argument, but many carnivores take it as a challenge.[/quote]

Have any horror stories about getting non-vegetarians to go to any type of ethnic restaraunts?

myke.[/quote]

No real horror stories, mostly just failure. My horror stories usually involve being lied to by (occassionally well-meaning) wait staff. When I was 17 or 18, I went to a chinese restaurant and asked if the hot and sour soup could be prepared vegetarian. They said it could. Quite some time later it arrived, and I noticed pieces of shredded pork in it. When I asked them about it, they told me they had picked out as much of it as they could ](*,) . Clearly they meant well. Other times the wait staff just doesn't want to be bothered with checking with the cook, or has some sort of grudge against vegetarians. I don't mean to give the impression that it happens all the time, but it does happen.

[quote name='guessed'][quote name='mykevermin'][quote name='guessed']True. I think part of what bothers me is that vegetarians are often considered "picky" eaters (I am always open to trying new non-animal-based foods), and when a compromise must be made, I am usually the one making it (not compromising my beliefs, mind you, just my comfort). Not always getting one's way is part of being an adult, but never getting one's way should not be (assuming one's way does not cause harm to others). Because vegetarianism is not the norm, and because so many people are so staunchly opposed to the concept of a non-animal-based diet (and I mean they somehow find the concept offensive, not just that they wouldn't do it themselves), vegetarians are sometimes treated as second-class citizens or worse. I do not understand how "I'm a vegetarian" is instigation for a heated argument, but many carnivores take it as a challenge.[/quote]

myke.[/quote]

No real horror stories, mostly just failure. My horror stories usually involve being lied to by (occassionally well-meaning) wait staff. When I was 17 or 18, I went to a chinese restaurant and asked if the hot and sour soup could be prepared vegetarian. They said it could. Quite some time later it arrived, and I noticed pieces of shredded pork in it. When I asked them about it, they told me they had picked out as much of it as they could ](*,) . Clearly they meant well. Other times the wait staff just doesn't want to be bothered with checking with the cook, or has some sort of grudge against vegetarians. I don't mean to give the impression that it happens all the time, but it does happen.[/quote]

As someone having a great deal of experience preparing food, vegetarians (just like "sauce-on-the-siders," to quote Anthony Bourdain) are a ego-buster. For a chef, their food, prepared as described, is their art. For anyone to ask for a special request is to criticize that art, and second-guess the genius of the chef. Of course, different people have different tastes; tell that to the chef's ego. I doubt the waitstaff worries about upsetting you, but instead, they don't want to piss off a miserable egomaniac who wields knives all day.

I'm sure you've had plenty of people try to serve you items with animal stock and pass it off as vegetarian.

So, I'm curious how often CAGs, veggie or no, cook their own meals? How often do you eat out?

myke.

[quote name='mykevermin'][quote name='guessed'][quote name='mykevermin'][quote name='guessed']True. I think part of what bothers me is that vegetarians are often considered "picky" eaters (I am always open to trying new non-animal-based foods), and when a compromise must be made, I am usually the one making it (not compromising my beliefs, mind you, just my comfort). Not always getting one's way is part of being an adult, but never getting one's way should not be (assuming one's way does not cause harm to others). Because vegetarianism is not the norm, and because so many people are so staunchly opposed to the concept of a non-animal-based diet (and I mean they somehow find the concept offensive, not just that they wouldn't do it themselves), vegetarians are sometimes treated as second-class citizens or worse. I do not understand how "I'm a vegetarian" is instigation for a heated argument, but many carnivores take it as a challenge.[/quote]

myke.[/quote]

No real horror stories, mostly just failure. My horror stories usually involve being lied to by (occassionally well-meaning) wait staff. When I was 17 or 18, I went to a chinese restaurant and asked if the hot and sour soup could be prepared vegetarian. They said it could. Quite some time later it arrived, and I noticed pieces of shredded pork in it. When I asked them about it, they told me they had picked out as much of it as they could ](*,) . Clearly they meant well. Other times the wait staff just doesn't want to be bothered with checking with the cook, or has some sort of grudge against vegetarians. I don't mean to give the impression that it happens all the time, but it does happen.[/quote]

As someone having a great deal of experience preparing food, vegetarians (just like "sauce-on-the-siders," to quote Anthony Bourdain) are a ego-buster. For a chef, their food, prepared as described, is their art. For anyone to ask for a special request is to criticize that art, and second-guess the genius of the chef. Of course, different people have different tastes; tell that to the chef's ego. I doubt the waitstaff worries about upsetting you, but instead, they don't want to piss off a miserable egomaniac who wields knives all day.

I'm sure you've had plenty of people try to serve you items with animal stock and pass it off as vegetarian.

So, I'm curious how often CAGs, veggie or no, cook their own meals? How often do you eat out?

myke.[/quote]

I can understand and appreciate a chef considering cooking to be his art (although most of the restaurants I frequent have cooks, not chefs), and I am much more comfortable with that analogy than the other one I have been given, that food is their religion. An artist should be proficient with all different tools of the trade. Art is not about resting on ones laurels, but about experimenting with new ideas and new media. Being unwilling to alter one's recipes is like quitting being an artist, and producing only prints. I would not dare tell a chef how to cook, or what measurements of which ingredients to use, but using ingredient X because one always has in the past does not sound like art to me. I do not say "use this, this, and this", I merely ask that they not use certain ingredients, or colors, if you will. I ask them to make their art with a slightly altered set of paints. Challenge can be a good thing. Of course, that is all assuming that they truly are artists, and aren't just trying to use it as an excuse for their temprament. And lets not forget the fact that they do work in a service industry, and, like it or not, their livelihood depends on satisfying customers. I am not criticizing their art (I have heard that argument a number of times, can you tell?), but it just doesn't look right over my mantle. If you are Picasso, go ahead and get indignant and storm off. If you take family photos at Sears, give the customers what they politely ask for.

I cook nearly all of the meals here, and they're mostly vegetarian (I've recently convinced her to try eating fish - so we try to have that every couple of weeks for health's sake.) If you know what to grab, vegetarian cooking can be way cheap - TVP is much cheaper than ground beef (though you need some spices to hide the kinda weird flavor), but more importantly, dried beans and other legumes can't be beat for the price per serving ratio. I think I can get something like five meals out of a 50 cent bag of dried beans, and they're way more filling than ramen. Add a bag of rice and the food goes even further.
I hella eat veggie meat when it's on sale, by the way. Some company called Morningstar makes these chicken patties that taste JUST like processed fried chicken patties (neither of which taste anything at all like real chicken.) Veggie corn dogs, too - those are expensive, but pork hot dogs are one thing that I can't eat once I found out what's in them. The real things are GOOD, but I can't help thinking about what I'm eating while I'm eating.
Whole food places are buhtardedly expensive, but some of their stuff is quality... like yogurt, which is a completely different experience than the stuff at the local grocery store ("Brown Cow" yogurt in particular, all fatty and rich like ice cream.) And the place near me sells certain items in bulk (like coffee and spices) that are cheaper than the local grocery.

yep...i'm a vegetarian. its funny how quickly i went from being opposed to the idea of vegetarianism to being a complete and total vegetarion/pseudo-vegan...all it took was some information on the negative moral, health, and environmental impacts of an animal-based diet.

[quote name='guessed']If you are Picasso, go ahead and get indignant and storm off. If you take family photos at Sears, give the customers what they politely ask for.[/quote]

Excellent follow up on the analogy, and well made point.

myke.

bread's done
Back