How many dead pixels can you have on the DS?

N5

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Those red squares that don't change are dead pixels right?

I have a new DS and it has a red one in the top screen. Its annoying but I don't know if Nintendo will give you a DS or whatever for 1 dead pixel.

[quote name='N5']Those red squares that don't change are dead pixels right?

I have a new DS and it has a red one in the top screen. Its annoying but I don't know if Nintendo will give you a DS or whatever for 1 dead pixel.[/QUOTE]
Yes, they will. Might as well try to exchange it at the store you bought first to save time since it's essentially defective.

Yeah, you should be able to exchance it from whatever store you got it from... and Nintendo will replace a DS even if you have 1 dead pixel.

[quote name='mr ryles']I got one dead pixel and it is blue.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Never had it until my kid dropped my DS down the stairs. I think I just may have a stuck pixel because some times it flickers & goes away.

[quote name='Ebraum']Same here. Never had it until my kid dropped my DS down the stairs. I think I just may have a stuck pixel because some times it flickers & goes away.[/QUOTE]

Mine was dead from when I opened the package. I am going to exchange it early on Tuesday since tomorrow stores will probably be packed with last minute shoppers.

Thanks and the DS is great but what is the proper way to hold it? My index finger that I use for the top left trigger kind of hurts after a few mins of trying to use it that way.

I've had mine since launch day/morning, with zero dead pixels. There have been a couple posts about this since the DS has launched, but it seems like a pretty minor problem for Nintendo all in all in comparison to certain other systems.

And like other posters have said, Nintendo will fix or replace your system for free if you happen to have any issues... best customer service in the business!

Nintendo has a zero pixel defect gurantee on the DS and Gameboy.

If you just bought it, return it for a new one.

If you have had it for a while call Nintendo and they will swap it out for one without any.

A pixel is dead when it is black (not lit)

If it is blue, red, gree, white, etc... then it is stuck (red pixel on black screen means red is stock on).

[quote name='b3b0p']Nintendo has a zero pixel defect gurantee on the DS and Gameboy.

If you just bought it, return it for a new one.

If you have had it for a while call Nintendo and they will swap it out for one without any.

A pixel is dead when it is black (not lit)

If it is blue, red, gree, white, etc... then it is stuck (red pixel on black screen means red is stock on).[/QUOTE]

Well I just opened it. Regardless if its stuck or dead I didn't do anything to it so they still exchange it right?

Also the pixel is not just on a black screen. It is stuck like that on games.

[quote name='N5']Well I just opened it. Regardless if its stuck or dead I didn't do anything to it so they still exchange it right?

Also the pixel is not just on a black screen. It is stuck like that on games.[/QUOTE]

They should take care of you, given past experiences from other gamers. Just give 'em a call.

[quote name='N5']Well I just opened it. Regardless if its stuck or dead I didn't do anything to it so they still exchange it right?

Also the pixel is not just on a black screen. It is stuck like that on games.[/QUOTE]

My red pixel on black screen is an example.

You can have stuck blue, red, green, blue & red, green & blue, red & blue & green, etc... You will be able to see which ones are stuck if you put on an all black screen and look since they are all suppose to be unlit. The ones that are stuck will be clearly visible. It does not matter if the screen is black or not, but this is the easiest way to find them. To find dead pixels put up an all white screen and look for black pixels.

To take it back to the store you puchased from, do you think that you still have to have the box? I threw mine out and noticed a dead pixel this morning.... :(

Whether it was there when you opened the package or appeared after a certain time of ownership, they will replace or fix it as long as the 1 year warrenty is in effect.:)

Looks like I need to give Nintendo a call. My wife's Nintendogs DS has a stuck blue pixel that I noticed when I was playing Castlevania. This is the first time I've really spent much time with the DS, so I'm not sure how long it has been there. I'm hoping that it's possible to get another Nintendogs version or get this one fixed.

I actually have to go to Toys R Us to exchange a Mario Kart DS that was purchased as a gift and had a pixel stuck on red right in the middle of the screen. Hopefully, we'll just be able to exchange it there for another one.

I bought my wife the Pink Nintendogs version at TRU the day it came out and hers had 2 dead pixels right from the box. We took it back to TRU the next day and they exchanged it no problem.

I called Nintendo up today to see what they can do about the static in my speakers and a dead pixel. They said they would send me a return label and try to fix it.

Looks like I'll be without my DS for 2 weeks though :cry:

[quote name='shipwreck']Looks like I need to give Nintendo a call. My wife's Nintendogs DS has a stuck blue pixel that I noticed when I was playing Castlevania. This is the first time I've really spent much time with the DS, so I'm not sure how long it has been there. I'm hoping that it's possible to get another Nintendogs version or get this one fixed.

I actually have to go to Toys R Us to exchange a Mario Kart DS that was purchased as a gift and had a pixel stuck on red right in the middle of the screen. Hopefully, we'll just be able to exchange it there for another one.[/QUOTE]

The blue Nintendogs version I gave my daughter has 2 stuck pixels - one red in the upper and one blue in the lower. She could live with it, though it annoys the HELL out of me. But she did ask the other day what that blue dot was :D. So I called Nintendo and they sent me a UPS shipping label. I just sent it off 2 days ago - I'll report back on the turnaround time for anyone else considering it.

They will not replace it - just fix it. The Nintendo rep was very nice on the phone - but he was wrong about one thing. He said the turnaround should be fairly quick even though the shipment is UPS ground, because I'm in Oregon and it is only going to Washington for repair. That would have been nice - but when I got the label it turns out it is going to southern California. So far it spent it's first night in Roseburg, OR, then it's second night in South San Francisco. Hopefully it gets there tomorrow :D.

So, any of you SoCal people with stuck/dead pixels should have pretty quick turnaround anyway if you go the repair route. I assumed that Nintendo would have a few more of these in stock to replace with, but it turns out they are flat out of them - so repair is the only option on the Nintendogs DS's. But I ain't complaining since I got it with Gamerush credit and sold the Best Friends game on ebay for about $90. Those combined made the actual cost of the system about negative $15 :D. Well worth it to play Animal Crossing over the net with my daughter while on business trips - though my first trip since we got it will be next week and she probably won't have it back in time. There will be others though...

[quote name='N5']Those red squares that don't change are dead pixels right?

I have a new DS and it has a red one in the top screen. Its annoying but I don't know if Nintendo will give you a DS or whatever for 1 dead pixel.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo will relace a DS or a GBA for 1 dead pixel
I had to send my old one back for repair (R trigger died) and they sent a new one to me, it had a dead pixel in the top screen and I called and they sent me a Fed Ex order number I sent it back and they sent me another it arrived in like 3 days.

[quote name='io']The blue Nintendogs version I gave my daughter has 2 stuck pixels - one red in the upper and one blue in the lower. She could live with it, though it annoys the HELL out of me. But she did ask the other day what that blue dot was :D. So I called Nintendo and they sent me a UPS shipping label. I just sent it off 2 days ago - I'll report back on the turnaround time for anyone else considering it.

They will not replace it - just fix it. The Nintendo rep was very nice on the phone - but he was wrong about one thing. He said the turnaround should be fairly quick even though the shipment is UPS ground, because I'm in Oregon and it is only going to Washington for repair. That would have been nice - but when I got the label it turns out it is going to southern California. So far it spent it's first night in Roseburg, OR, then it's second night in South San Francisco. Hopefully it gets there tomorrow :D.
[/QUOTE]

We got the DS back yesterday (Jan. 12th). So, it took a fair amount of time with the UPS ground shipping both ways (I sent it Jan. 3rd). However, they were very quick in actually fixing the thing. They got it on a Friday and shipped it the following Monday. So nearly all of the wait was shipping time.

I'm not home right now and my wife hasn't even opened the box yet - so I can't comment on the quality of the repair. I'll try to get them to test it out tonight to see if they actually fixed the stuck pixels (I would assume they'd have to replace both screens to do so).

Now if I can just find a Best Buy with the Nintendo Wi-Fi adapter in stock and then use the $10 off accessory coupon on it, I'll be set for an AC:WW session with my daughter. Apparently I missed the last adapter at one BB by an hour yesterday. D'oh!

I will be sending mine in on Monday. I'm keeping it over the weekend to try to finish the 5th case in Phoenix Wright. I'll report back how it goes.

I've own the orginal GBA, three SP's (Original, NES edition and the new Backlit model), two DS (original and the Mario Kart Edition) zero bad pixels. Side note I have a US PSP I got at launch one bad pixel. I guess this along with personal experience with my launch Game Cube (work great) and the PS2 (Disc read errors) which I replaced with slim PS2. I'm still waiting for my replacement PS2 AC unit which I order in November called this week and they promised to send one out a new one will see. All this just supports my personal opinion that Nintendo has better quality control, I've never had a problem with a Nintendo product expect for have to clean my old carts.

[quote name='jlindsay26']I've own the orginal GBA, three SP's (Original, NES edition and the new Backlit model), two DS (original and the Mario Kart Edition) zero bad pixels. Side note I have a US PSP I got at launch one bad pixel. I guess this along with personal experience with my launch Game Cube (work great) and the PS2 (Disc read errors) which I replaced with slim PS2. I'm still waiting for my replacement PS2 AC unit which I order in November called this week and they promised to send one out a new one will see. All this just supports my personal opinion that Nintendo has better quality control, I've never had a problem with a Nintendo product expect for have to clean my old carts.[/QUOTE]

(Re: the quality of Nintendo products vs Sony) Which is why I was surprised to see the 2 stuck pixels on that DS. I had 2 before that which are perfect. I sold the platinum one to get my daughter the Teal Nintedogs one. Now, it appears, I've come across 2 in a row with bad pixels - see below.

Anyway, I am now officially slightly annoyed with Nintendo. My daughter says the newly repaired DS has a red stuck pixel! I find it fairly surprising that they would return a system with a bad pixel when I sent it in for sole purpose of fixing bad pixels... I'll have to check it out when I get home, and, I guess, send it back in *again* if that pixel continues to stay stuck on red. It doesn't cost me anything except the expense of the packing materials, so I'll definitely send it in again if it still isn't right.

I sent my DS in on Tuesday the 17th and I'll be getting it back tomorrow, hopefully. I'll let you guys know how the repair went when I get it.

[quote name='encendido5']I sent my DS in on Tuesday the 17th and I'll be getting it back tomorrow, hopefully. I'll let you guys know how the repair went when I get it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, like I said earlier, my 2 stuck pixel DS (1 blue on top screen , 1 red on bottom screen) came back with 1 stuck pixel (red, on bottom screen, but in a different place). Having one on the bottom isn't nearly as bad as on the top, since the top tends to be dark more often (making stuck pixels are obvious). Also, this one is towards the lower right, which tends to be obscured by your hand more often :D. So we might just stick with this one, even though I could send it back again for free. But maybe I'd get it back with 3 stuck pixels next time :whistle2:(

Play it for a while first. If they actually repaired it and gave it a new screen, it very well may have been a perfect screen or a brand new never used screen before. The cold weather and shipping does not help. Let get a little broken in. You have a 1 year warranty, so, there is no rush to get it fixed.

[quote name='b3b0p']Play it for a while first. If they actually repaired it and gave it a new screen, it very well may have been a perfect screen or a brand new never used screen before. The cold weather and shipping does not help. Let get a little broken in. You have a 1 year warranty, so, there is no rush to get it fixed.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I suppose. It's the kids' one anyway, so it really isn't a big deal. Though it was my daughter who noticed the stuck pix. They have played it several hours and it is still there, so I'm pretty sure it is there for good. I suppose it could have happened during shipment, so I shan't be too mad at them for sending me back one with a bad pixel after I sent it to get the bad pixels fixed :D. At least it is a different pixel, so I know they changed the screens out.

I received mine back yesterday. It was a pretty quick turnaround time, but I guess it makes sense since it was only going to Syracuse from NYC. Anyway, they sent me a complete replacement. I sent it in for the bad pixel and the static I heard when I turned the volume up. The system they sent me looks brand new and the screens are absolutely perfect. I have to set up the whole WiFi thing again though, which will be annoying, but I can't complain.

Would I be able to tell if it's refurbed or not? The only thing that's different from my old one is that the serial number is on a sticker on top of the bottom label instead of being printed on the label itself.

my new mariokart ds i got today has 2 stuck pixels, white, on the top screen (middle of the screen and left side of screen). do these things go away? i suppose a dead pixel will never go away, but a stuck pixel will after break in, right? thanks for the help.

[quote name='nakanenui']my new mariokart ds i got today has 2 stuck pixels, white, on the top screen (middle of the screen and left side of screen). do these things go away? i suppose a dead pixel will never go away, but a stuck pixel will after break in, right? thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]

Damn, sorry about that. The stuck pixels theoretically can go away, but not in my experience. The one we got back (after repair) still has the 1 stuck red pixel. White pixels, especially in the top screen, are extremely annoying. If I were you I would send it back in for repair. It is a quick and painless (and free) process. The only problem is that you are without your DS for a week or so. For the MK bundle one they probably don't have any more so they probably won't send you a new one - but you could call and ask. They *might* still have these in stock. In that case, I think, they send you a new one right away and you just send the old one back.

But you have a year to do this, so no hurry (though if there's a chance they will send a new red DS I would call soon).

I'm going to give ours another week or so and then probably send it in for repair AGAIN. The stuck pixel is too distracting as it is all I can look at :D.

All these reports of stuck pixels in newer DS's is a bit disturbing. It seems as if Nintendo got a bad batch of LCD's or their quality control has slipped a bit since early on (I know some of the very first ones had this issue but I thought they cleared it up in a few months).

bread's done
Back