How many films on the IMDB Top 250 have you seen?

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
Well, it's time for another of these, and an update. I'm trying to work through as many as I can this summer (especially since it's so hot out here). Also, I found a nifty tool after a lot of searches that can help us count them a lot quicker:

http://www.250films.net/

Just sign up and start clicking through. Took me 2 minutes to go through all the ones I've seen.

According to the list, I've seen:

I can't believe that IMDB doesn't have a tool like this built in already, or at least some way to give you some indication of how many you've seen without you printing the list and marking/counting up how many you've seen.

http://www.250films.net/bottom

I was really shocked, A Christmas Story is one of the least watched by users of that site. They play A Christmas Story on TV all the time... it sold great on HDDVD... it's a classic... yet nearly 90% of users of that site haven't seen it. Amazing.

[quote name='Koggit']http://www.250films.net/bottom

I was really shocked, A Christmas Story is one of the least watched by users of that site. They play A Christmas Story on TV all the time... it sold great on HDDVD... it's a classic... yet nearly 90% of users of that site haven't seen it. Amazing.[/quote]

I think it's still a fairly new site. If you look at the user numbers, there really aren't that many for either top or bottom.

I'm sure I haven't seen 1/2 of them since I generally like movies and not films. Oh well.

Yup - just like I thought. I've seen 72/250 and while clicking through there wasn't a single one that I thought I needed to see.

I've only seen 53 of the films.

Kinda shocked that Shaun of the Dead & Hot Fuzz were on the list, considering it's comedy that for some reason some people "don't get". Nice to see Sin City on the list, makes me wish that they'd actually get to work on the sequel.

[quote name='tangytangerine']I've only seen 53 of the films.

Kinda shocked that Shaun of the Dead & Hot Fuzz were on the list, considering it's comedy that for some reason some people "don't get". Nice to see Sin City on the list, makes me wish that they'd actually get to work on the sequel.[/quote]

I thought they were, but that it would just take a bit longer since they want to cast/shoot 2 and 3 back to back.

What a cool tool. I have seen way more than I thought may have seen. This tool reminded me I haven't seen a select few that has been on my must see list for many years (i.e. I have never seen Casablancaa all the way through) . On top of that I am shocked on some of the top 250 movies that I disliked/hated; Hot Fuzz, Das Boot (but I saw the loooong version,) Unforgiven, Snatch and Groundhog Day.

75/250.

Good fun but I question the validity of this list. There is no way Ratatouille should rank higher than Finding Nemo or The Incredibles.

Site worked fine for me just now, didn't even have to sign up, just clicked to highlight the ones I've seen and it put the number at the top. Of course you can't save your list without signing up, but I didn't care about that.

65, with 2 more coming this week.
I don't trust IMDB's list though, it is skewed way too much towards more recent films. It still has good films but there are some omissions (Rocky) and it seems like a lot of blockbusters that are good but definitely not top 250 films make it on the list.

112/250 for me. Keep a sharp eye out for the foreign films because you might not recognize the movie through name recognition. A few that stood out for me were "Grave of the Fireflies" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", and I only caught them because I recognized the box art. :)

I don't understand how anyone can try to discredit IMDB's list. It's based on the feedback of 100's of 1,000's movie watchers. What is a film's quality if not its capability to be as enjoyable as possible to as many people as possible?

IMDB's list is much more accurate than something like Rotten Tomatoes, or any list a single person / small group can create.

57/250, maybe a few more that I'm not sure if I've seen entirely or not. I still need to see Dr. Strangelove

EDIT: Actually I just saw crouching tiger hidden dragon was on there and missed rashomon the first time through, so 59/250

...and vertigo...60/250

[quote name='Koggit']I don't understand how anyone can try to discredit IMDB's list. It's based on the feedback of 100's of 1,000's movie watchers. What is a film's quality if not its capability to be as enjoyable as possible to as many people as possible?

IMDB's list is much more accurate than something like Rotten Tomatoes, or any list a single person / small group can create.[/QUOTE]

Lists are always problematic. User voted ones have too many blockbusters in them--they're good as a list of "favorites" I suppose. You just can't view them as lists of "best" movies from an artistic stand point. A lot of people only watch the big summer blockbuster films--so they really have no perspective on what makes a good film from an artistic standpoint.

Critic's lists on the other hand tend to be too dominated by classic movies, and not pay enough respect to modern films, and to too greatly ignore blockbusters.

So my own top films list lies somewhere in between the two types of rankings I guess. Not as fluff, summer movie dominated as the IMDB, but not as stuck on classic, B&W movies and indy films as the critic's lists.

[quote name='Koggit']I don't understand how anyone can try to discredit IMDB's list. It's based on the feedback of 100's of 1,000's movie watchers. What is a film's quality if not its capability to be as enjoyable as possible to as many people as possible?

IMDB's list is much more accurate than something like Rotten Tomatoes, or any list a single person / small group can create.[/QUOTE]

It's easy to discredit IMDB's list because if most people haven't seen the classics and immediately go "OMG THAT'S THE BEST MOVIE EVAR!!!" after they finish coming out of the theater or turn off the DVD, that skews the list to include more newer releases and less older/obscure films.

I'd much rather use Roger Ebert's Great Movie list instead of something like IMDB's Top 250

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=greatmovies_fulllist_print

[quote name='dmaul1114']
Lists are always problematic. User voted ones have too many blockbusters in them--they're good as a list of "favorites" I suppose. You just can't view them as lists of "best" movies from an artistic stand point. A lot of people only watch the big summer blockbuster films--so they really have no perspective on what makes a good film from an artistic standpoint.[/QUOTE]

But back up for a second -- why should a "best" list be from an artistic standpoint?

Most movies set out to entertain. To be enjoyed. Lists like this, rooted in the general masses' unrefined taste, are just an aggregation of the masses' enjoyment, which IMO, is how any "best movie" list should rank its entries.

[quote name='doraemonkerpal']112/250 for me. Keep a sharp eye out for the foreign films because you might not recognize the movie through name recognition. A few that stood out for me were "Grave of the Fireflies" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", and I only caught them because I recognized the box art. :)[/QUOTE]

I went back through the list and I missed about 10 movies because of this and movies I didn't recognize on first skim/glance. I didn't know the man with no name movies had alternative names.

I know I'll never hit 250/250 because there are a lot of films on there I have absolutely no interest in watching...

[quote name='Koggit']But back up for a second -- why should a "best" list be from an artistic standpoint?

Most movies set out to entertain. To be enjoyed. Lists like this, rooted in the general masses' unrefined taste, are just an aggregation of the masses' enjoyment, which IMO, is how any "best movie" list should rank its entries.[/QUOTE]

It's kind of hard for older movies to even get a chance to entertain the masses' when they were released 30-60+ years ago, aren't apart of the American lexicon and don't get a multi-million dollar marketing campaign.

[quote name='Sporadic']It's kind of hard for older movies to even get a chance to entertain the masses' when they were released 30-60+ years ago, aren't apart of the American lexicon and don't get a multi-million dollar marketing campaign.[/QUOTE]

Except it doesn't matter how many people watch a movie because movies are ranked by the average rating -- which is essentially enjoyment-per-viewer.

If IMDB summed all the ratings (without dividing it by the quantity of ratings) then yes, you'd have a point. But they don't do that because the result would be meaningless.

I'm not even going to do this. The fact that Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz were even on that list is a statement to how shitty it is.

BTW- I did not like the Godfather. IMO, Goodfellas was 100 times better.

def got some movies to watch, good reminder, though the list changes every now and then, with movies like iron man added, and others bumped off.

bread's done
Back