How much cheaper does a game need to be for you to buy used?

Vhehs2

Banned
For a $50-60 game, it would have to be $15-20 cheaper. For $30 games, it would probably have to be a least $10 cheaper.

There comes a point for me that the savings don't outweigh the benefits of buying new - supporting the developer/publisher, mint condition manual/cover art, unscratched disc, the feeling of buying something new, etc. The major exception is GameStop's "Buy 2 Used Games, Get 1 Free" sales because those can become very good deals.

I only buy used when it's a game I'm interested in playing more to have an opinion on it, as opposed to simply enjoying the experience.

As for games I'm interested in, well, those will always be purchased new.

If I buy a new release, I tend to get it on release day when it isn't available used yet. When I buy an older game though, it is usually hard to find new, so I end up getting it used by necessity.

In the rare case when I buy a newer game after release date, the amount I'm willing to pay for a used copy depends on the condition. For a mint/complete game i will pay up to 10% less than a new copy goes for. For a playable, but scratched up game, the price difference would have to be significantly more.

I used to only strictly buy new games. But I discovered the Amazon marketplace around 2 years ago and started buying used games and it saved me $10+ on each game for "very good" or "like new" condition games. So it was worth it to me.

I now only buy new games if they're new releases.

As much as I'd like to support the devs and buy new, sometimes the used price is just so much lower than new. I mean, look at Gamefly's sales. Those are some fantastic prices. Not to mention that I'm also a member of Goozex, so that just makes things even harder to buy new...

Not very much at all. I can't even remember the last game I bought new; on the rare case I want to buy a new release, I usually just get it from Gamefly for ~$45.

For used games (which I don't like buying), I pay $15 max. I usually don't buy games immediately when they're released (large backlog + limited time), so I generally benefit from price drops on unused games.

Not much. I bought Splinter Cell Conviction a while back for $26 used when I could have got it for $30 new. I buy the vast majority of my games used, but they are usually far cheaper than I can find them new. I never pay more than $30 for any game and it's pretty damn rare that I keep any games that I pay more than $15 for, most I sell at a small profit after I've played them for a week or two. The only game I still have that I paid more than $20 for is the aforementioned Splinter Cell Conviction and even that is my second copy of the game.

I always go for used when the option is available, even if it's like a $3 difference. I try to get new release games for $40, this way I can blast through them in a week and make my money back on ebay. I used to just rent games at my local BBV but they closed down, but luckily it's getting much more common to find new releases in my price range these days. If there's a game I wanna keep, I'll try to find it later on for $15 or less.

Always has to be at least $10 saving and include case and manual...unless the game is below or at $29.99 MSRP, then it's $5.

Though, to be honest, if I didn't buy the game on release day for full MSRP I probably won't pick it up 'till it hits $20 new or $15 used.

personally, it's not the price difference. new is always preferred. I only buy used depending on the availability of new copies. for example, out-of-print titles would be a good example. if a new copy was no longer available or commanded an unusual high price, I'd settle for an used copy.

I get most of my games from Goozex. Don't really care what the points value is since most of the time I'll be beating and flipping it back for the same amount of points and only be out the $2.50 or so for shipping and the $1 trade credit for the request.

Otherwise, I don't buy used games as I hate the game stores. Everything is either from Goozex or Amazon for me.

$12 is my impulse instant buy point. But it must have case and manual and be in new condition.

Generally I will buy used if I can save 10 dollars or more after tax/shipping because 60 dollars is too much for your average game today. During the ps1 days when most games were 40 or 50 I could afford to take risks on new games because they were more affordable and games in general were of better quality. Now with a 60 dollar price tag and a lot of shit coming out I am less likely to buy it new.

The exception of lamestops buy 2 get 1 free deal isnt a deal to me really because most of the time their games are in poor condition even if they are complete, they put used stickers on the boxes and so on. Plus their used games that might interest me are usually just a little under msrp which I can get cheaper through other sources to begin with. Sure I am getting 1 game free but without being able to find 3 used games I want from them most times I dont care. Plus have the fact their stuff isnt in good shape. If I want a 50 dollar game free I have to buy 2 other 50 dollar games first.

If I save 5 bucks by going to gamefly I will because their used games are always like a brand new one minus the shrink wrap.

Im all for supporting developers but very few of them make games that are worth paying full price for anymore.

Just came to say that I pretty much stick to Gamefly sales, with the occasional Amazon marketplace deal. $15 or less for a game I'm interested in is automatic; over $20 and I'll do some comparison shopping first - I got Yakuza 3 for $25 shipped at GF after not seeing it for less than $40 anywhere else.

Generally I buy at $30 - $35 for newer titles. If it's an older title I'll buy at $10 to $15.

I'm very particular with the games I buy though.

[quote name='gargus']

The exception of lamestops buy 2 get 1 free deal isnt a deal to me really because most of the time their games are in poor condition even if they are complete, they put used stickers on the boxes and so on. Plus their used games that might interest me are usually just a little under msrp which I can get cheaper through other sources to begin with. Sure I am getting 1 game free but without being able to find 3 used games I want from them most times I dont care. Plus have the fact their stuff isnt in good shape. If I want a 50 dollar game free I have to buy 2 other 50 dollar games first.
[/QUOTE]

I mainly use this with $20 games. Each game turns out to be about $15 after taxes. It's about the same as cheaper copies online after shipping. It's just a bit more convenient to return if it doesn't work and I don't have to wait for shipping.

[quote name='KingBroly']Below $20, and it must have a case/manual.[/QUOTE]
THIS. Although over the last couple of years I've bought about 10 new release games either on or near release date. At least two of which(Transformers: War For Cybertron, Little Big Planet) I have NEVER finished. The rest of them I'm either currently working on or just gave up and traded them away while they had some value left to them.

With LBP I played tons of hours of the user made levels, so I still feel like I got more than my money's worth with that game. Now TF:WFC on the other hand is a game I consider to be meh and I hate that you have 'ammo' and that you're CONSTANTLY running out of it.:roll:

So because of that and how annoyingly long the levels are I'll probably never finish it on my own.

[quote name='gargus']Generally I will buy used if I can save 10 dollars or more after tax/shipping because 60 dollars is too much for your average game today. [/QUOTE]

You wouldn't want to be around during the Genesis/SNES era when games were around $50. I know that sounds cheaper, but if you figure inflation and cartridge costs, the average prices would be in the $70+ range.

Games today do have a bigger profit margin though (plus dlc!)

i wait for xbox360 titles to reach the $20 pricepoint for new and less than 15 for used games. i check pawnshops, gamestops, estate and yard sales for potential game deals. and cag of course.

[quote name='The Dord']You wouldn't want to be around during the Genesis/SNES era when games were around $50. I know that sounds cheaper, but if you figure inflation and cartridge costs, the average prices would be in the $70+ range.

Games today do have a bigger profit margin though (plus dlc!)[/QUOTE]

good point about inflation. and i didnt consider the dlc or the xbl arcade/indy titles either. but, when i think of those games (xbla/indy) i don't worry about initial costs.

bread's done
Back