How much do you think PS3's Greatest Hits Collection will cost?

$30, guaranteed. If the base MSRP is up, so is the "bargain" MSRP. I'm still trying to figure out WHY exactly games suddenly have to cost $10 more.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']$30, guaranteed. If the base MSRP is up, so is the "bargain" MSRP. I'm still trying to figure out WHY exactly games suddenly have to cost $10 more.[/quote]

If it helps instead of thinking games are $10 more, think about how they are now back to the old prices of the cartridge days. I remember many SNES games costing $60 and some games were hard to find even for that much (I had to pay $70 for Secret of Mana and I remember Phantasy Star 4 originally retailed for $100 SRP)

While I hate to defend the price inscrease, it doesn't seem too unreasonable considering we had stagnant prices of $50 a game for 10 years while the costs to make said games have been increasing steadily.

Of course this is CAG, so how many of us ever pay full retail anyway? ;)

PS1--$40
PS2--$50
PS3--$60

I was little surprised when PS2 GH weren't $25. Like josh said though, if you're using this site you should never pay $30 for a $30 game. Inconceivable!

[quote name='josh_animebum']If it helps instead of thinking games are $10 more, think about how they are now back to the old prices of the cartridge days. I remember many SNES games costing $60 and some games were hard to find even for that much (I had to pay $70 for Secret of Mana and I remember Phantasy Star 4 originally retailed for $100 SRP)[/quote]

I really enjoyed remembering this during the PS1 (and PS2, to a lesser extent) era. I think I'm spoiled, though -- I'm really having a hard time justifying $60 for a game this generation. It's probably just the new consoles taking a while to hit their stride, but I don't find most of the games coming out to be very compelling. Except on the DS, actually, and those games hover around the $30-40 range, so I'm happy about that.

[quote name='metaly']I really enjoyed remembering this during the PS1 (and PS2, to a lesser extent) era. I think I'm spoiled, though -- I'm really having a hard time justifying $60 for a game this generation. It's probably just the new consoles taking a while to hit their stride, but I don't find most of the games coming out to be very compelling. Except on the DS, actually, and those games hover around the $30-40 range, so I'm happy about that.[/QUOTE]

I have only bought a couple games full price this generation, and usually "big name" stuff, like Rock Band. I haven't paid $60 yet, whereas I would pay $50 sometimes back in the DC/early PS2 days. It's a combinations of sites like this, plus a general feeling that the game companies know full well the prices will plummet fast and are just taking advantage of impatient people by jacking the prices up.

Seriously, except for AAA titles, there's no reason to pay full price-- you'll see the same game at 50% or less within 6 months. And the "it costs more to make them" argument is partially true, they're also selling a whole lot more than they used to, as well. EA doesn't seem to be hurting for money with higher development costs...

I paid full price for Folklore simply because once in a while I'm willing to lay down all my hard earned dollars for a smaller developer and a less than high profile game.

$24.99 would be a nice round price for the greatest hits games.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']$30, guaranteed. If the base MSRP is up, so is the "bargain" MSRP. I'm still trying to figure out WHY exactly games suddenly have to cost $10 more.[/QUOTE]

It takes hours more in programming and planning to put dynamic advertisements in your video games. Duh.

[quote name='Justin42']Seriously, except for AAA titles, there's no reason to pay full price-- you'll see the same game at 50% or less within 6 months. And the "it costs more to make them" argument is partially true, they're also selling a whole lot more than they used to, as well. EA doesn't seem to be hurting for money with higher development costs...[/quote]
Yeah, I'm starting to accept the 6 months later waiting period for big titles. It's not a big issue when it comes down to it, since a lot of the games that I don't want to pay full price for are ones I haven't been strongly anticipating. But, I have to admit it's tempting when everyone's talking about the latest cool game.

[quote name='mykevermin']It takes hours more in programming and planning to put dynamic advertisements in your video games. Duh.[/quote]
I was going to add my opinion on this, but I think :bomb: sums it up best.

$30 for the gamer games, and $20 for the family games. This is how the 360 does it, so it's probably going to be the same with the PS3.

[quote name='josh_animebum']If it helps instead of thinking games are $10 more, think about how they are now back to the old prices of the cartridge days. I remember many SNES games costing $60 and some games were hard to find even for that much (I had to pay $70 for Secret of Mana and I remember Phantasy Star 4 originally retailed for $100 SRP)

While I hate to defend the price inscrease, it doesn't seem too unreasonable considering we had stagnant prices of $50 a game for 10 years while the costs to make said games have been increasing steadily.

Of course this is CAG, so how many of us ever pay full retail anyway? ;)[/quote]
the costs of games is big yes but look at the amount of in game advertising that surely has to pay some of the costs. theres no need for $10 more price raise.

Yeah, hope it's under $30. Got my PS3 for 5 months now and havent even bought a game yet. I am balla like that!

Actually catching up on PS2 games that I never got to play. Currently playing Dragon Quest VIII from the bargain bin. Final Fantasy XII is next.

$29.99 is too much, I have yet to spend more than $19.99 on a PS3 game (so far I have Tony Hawk Project 8 for $10, Ridge Racer 7 for $18, NBA Street Homecourt for $17, Madden 07 for $10 and Def Jam Icon for $15 all new) and was hoping to keep it that way when they had new Greatest Hits games.

Since Sony is running behind the 360 right now in consoles sold, they'd be smart to make their games cheaper to encourage people to buy the PS3. Why not go back to $50 for new titles, and $25 for greatest hits?

[quote name='blueboy']Since Sony is running behind the 360 right now in consoles sold, they'd be smart to make their games cheaper to encourage people to buy the PS3. Why not go back to $50 for new titles, and $25 for greatest hits?[/QUOTE]Blu-ray's aren't as cheap as a DVD, so we'll see. That will be a big issue in deciding what the price of a PS3 GH game will be.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Blu-ray's aren't as cheap as a DVD, so we'll see. That will be a big issue in deciding what the price of a PS3 GH game will be.[/QUOTE]

You don't actually think they'd MSRP over $29.99 after all the shit they've received for the console pricing itself, do you?

I'd love to see them priced at $20, but with the way Sony has been pricing stuff as of late, I wouldn't be shocked if they were $40 (although $30 is what it would be). Pricing it at $40 would be dumb, yet for some reason it would not surprise me if they did. I haven't seen them do any universal price drop on a PS3 game they published (it's usually just select retailers dropping the price, like with Genji 2, Formula One, etc.), and their PSN stuff isn't as cheap as it use to be (early on we saw Lemmings, Go! Puzzle, etc, for cheap. Games like PAIN, Toy Home, etc. which are just as short, if not shorter are $10. Download content isn't exactly cheap either these days on PSN). I just think they are trying to get as much money back as they can after their big loses with PS3.

But it is true the majority of Sony's sales (especially their own games) come from being a GH (Ratchet, Jak, God of War, etc. nearly tripled in sales after being GH). So, there is a chance they may stick to that price tag, but since I have yet to see a blu-ray movie priced at $20 (new release), I remain optimistic.
[quote name='mykevermin']You don't actually think they'd MSRP over $29.99 after all the shit they've received for the console pricing itself, do you?[/QUOTE]You never know with SCEA. To an extent you think they would, but with not doing a single universal price drop (unless NBA 08 or MLB The Show 07 got one at all retailers) along with pricing download content a bit higher than the past, not really sure what their pricing may be. I'm already a bit worried they will price GT5 Prologue at $60 (That's what GS currently lists, although it is not final), but that's a different story.

There's no denying I want at least $30 or under (and I really hope for that).

Sure more effort into making the games is a role in the $10 price hike in the PS3 and 360 games, but there is another factor people forgot about or were not aware of yet they are guilty of it and the experiment is still going on and people are still biting the bait.

Back in the prime of the PS2 and Xbox days EA was the spearhead for this one and EGM even wrote a small story on it also.

But they decided to start making these limited edition version's of the games to see if people would spend the extra $10 per game. Now all they really did was add a nicer case and some mainly worthless bonus features and people bought them with Madden, Need For Speed, and other titles. So with the huge success of people paying the extra dollars it showed people did not mind paying $60 for a game and boom now the price on most new PS3 and 360 games is $60.

The same trend is going on with this current gen games also with mainly special editions going for $70-90 and people keep buying them so I would not doubt seeing the games go up next gen also.

Cough *Halo Legendary Edition*

bread's done
Back