how much heat does the 360slim put out?

demond dave

CAG Veteran
one thing i've hated about this gen of consoles is that they effectively double as space heaters.which is crappy during the summer and crappy to put in a tv cabinet.

could anyone that has experience with the old style and new slim 360s tell me how much of a difference in the amount of heat they put out?i've heard contradictory things,some saying the slim even puts out more(!).

thanks

I think my slim gets as hot or hotter than the first-generation 360 I replaced with it, but I keep it well ventilated. It's near silent in comparison, so I think it's a fair trade.

Just make sure you give it room to breath and don't keep the room temperature at something excessive (such as 80F+).

Yeah, I was disappointed to find that it still puts out a ton of heat. Indeed maybe even more. But maybe that's a good thing and shows that the fans and ventilation work better at expelling more heat than the original models.

It is a lot quieter though. Not totally quiet, I can still hear the fan if I'm watching a quiet movie on Netflix etc., but it's not distracting like the super noisy fan in my first 360.

Oh yeh still has the heat issue. I mistakenly left a water bottle next to it and it heated that bitch right up. It's also louder than I would have thought. So I had to upload the games to the harddrive to avoid that annoying sound during gameplay.

It doesn't get very hot to me and I have the ceiling fan barely even going and it's just fine. I noticed though that after the latest update (to ban those bootleg games) my 360 250gb slim has gotten hotter and seems to be a little bit louder now, weird.

The slim is great, but it's only marginally quieter then my previous "Jasper" 360. That's disappointing. It definitely is NOT whisper quiet. It has a pretty audible rushing fan noise, just like the Jasper. I'm not sure how anyone could say you can't hear it. Perhaps they don't have a genuinely whisper quiet Wii to compare it to?

As far as heat, it gets pretty hot. Unfortunately I'm not sure how it compares as I never checked how hot my Jasper got.

The 360 Slim has a newly designed chip using a smaller process. The power consumption of the 360 Slim is less than the previous models, which you can see by the reduction from a 150W power supply with the Jaspers to the 135W of the Slim. The new slim puts out less heat.

Don't confuse the amount of heat it puts out with the temperature of the air exiting the fan. Yes they probably turned the fan speed down and thus with a lower airflow the exhaust air is hotter, but in terms of watts it's adding to your room/cabinet, the new slim model is the most efficient xbox yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_hardware#List_of_revisions

Ruahrc

Yes, hotter (or as hot) exhaust air is all we're talking about obviously since that's all we can notice.

I'm happy with the upgrade and don't really care about heat output etc., just so long as it doesn't melt and give me another RROD! I do still wish the fan was a bit quieter, but that's really only during movies on Netflix streaming etc. that I notice it. Games tend to be louder and have fewer quiet parts than movies.

One of these days I just need to upgrade to a newer Blu Ray player that has netflix etc. built in. That would solve the noise issue, and I could scrap my Gold account as I'm getting tired of the little online gaming I do anyway and mainly keep renewing for Netflix.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yes, hotter (or as hot) exhaust air is all we're talking about obviously since that's all we can notice.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but my point is that you're misinterpreting it when you just measure the exhaust temperature. Total system power consumption, fan speed/configuration, and efficiency of the heat transfer from the chip to the cooling fins all plays an impact. So by saying it runs hotter or puts out more heat just by feeling the exhaust, you could likely be wrong and in fact the chip temperature could be cooler and the total heat put into your room could be less as well.

Ruahrc

But, back on topic, I believe the OP was concerned about how much heat it puts out into the room/their TV cabinet, not how hot the internals were (whether or not they should be worried about that). I think that the answer is probably more with the S, but I can't compare them side-by-side, unfortunately.

[quote name='Ruahrc']Yeah but my point is that you're misinterpreting it when you just measure the exhaust temperature. Total system power consumption, fan speed/configuration, and efficiency of the heat transfer from the chip to the cooling fins all plays an impact. So by saying it runs hotter or puts out more heat just by feeling the exhaust, you could likely be wrong and in fact the chip temperature could be cooler and the total heat put into your room could be less as well.

Ruahrc[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. But in any case it still needs to be put in a very well ventilated area as it blows out a ton of hot air. So it needs room to breath, and you don't want it below something else that you have to worry about overheating (i.e. a PS3 on a shelf 2 inches above it etc.).

Mines on the top shelf of my TV stand, with a good 4 inches between it and the thick board of the top of the stand. Has a foot or so of open space on the sides and the back.

Also it still probably would warm up a small room since it blows out so much warm air, which was something the OP mentioned. I don't notice it much as my living room is a decent size, and goes into the foyer and kitchen with only a breakfast bar dividing the rooms. But if it's in a bedroom or small dorm room it would probably warm up the room in summer.

So it may not be as hot, but it still blows out a shit ton of warm air and still makes enough fan noise to be mildly distracting when watching a quiet movie etc., so they didn't totally get rid of two of the larger annoyances of the console. Just improved them a bit.

[quote name='crunchewy']The slim is great, but it's only marginally quieter then my previous "Jasper" 360. That's disappointing. It definitely is NOT whisper quiet.[/QUOTE]

Speak for yourself. I forget mine is on all the time because I can't hear it. Definitely never a distraction during a movie, unlike my old 360 which sounded like a fucking jet engine.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Speak for yourself. I forget mine is on all the time because I can't hear it. Definitely never a distraction during a movie, unlike my old 360 which sounded like a fucking jet engine.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's like the old ones and the noise varies a bit by unit?

Things like size of room matter as well (my couch is probably like 6-7 feet from the TV stand), how loud you can play your movies (house or condo? daytime or late at night?) etc.

In any case, it's definitely a lot quieter than my old pre-falcon one that died on New Years. But mines still not whisper quiet as I do hear the fan, especially when watching a quiet movie like a documentary or something that's mostly dialogue etc.

I had a Jasper and it was almost exactly as noisy as the Slim that replaced it. The Jasper wasn't unbearable and the Slim isn't unbearable, but it isn't whisper quiet and I was disappointed in that, especially since it was one of the main reasons I upgraded. Sigh. There's a rushing fan noise and it's clearly audible. Admittedly not everybody in my family notices it. I guess I'm just bothered by stuff like that, and not just for movies, but games too.

Yeah, I would say that it's mostly pointless to upgrade. I only got one as my old pre-falcon 360 got an RROD and was out of the 3 year warranty period.

If you're original is working and you don't need the extra hard drive space, might as well keep riding it until it dies. Maybe you'll get lucky and it will last you until the next MS console is out.

The slim puts out more heat than the old one. This is a good thing because the heat being trapped in the old one is what led to all the red ring problems. So, the new one is cooler on the inside where it's most important.

Actually I think the upgrade was worth it as it only cost me about $60 or some such total, after trading in my jasper+wireless to Gamestop without the HDD when they had a promo of over the holiday, and amazon had a pretty good credit for buying the slim. I bought a slim HDD case from ebay and popped the drive from the jasper elite into it (I'm including the cost of that case in the $60 total). I think it's overall better, especially if you are going to get Kinect as you don't need to use the power adapter. Also it has more USB ports and the wireless is built-in and 802.11n (I had the G adapter). That plus the smaller size and the promise of reliability (admittedly only a promise). I'm happy with the upgrade, just was a bit disappointed that it wasn't "whisper quiet" as was once claimed.

Oh yeah, if you could do a trade in and get that kind of deal, then an upgrade is definitely worth it. I didn't know you could get that much for an old 360 these days--especially without the HDD since you need that to either put in a case and use or to transfer the data over to the new one with the transfer cable.

bread's done
Back