How much is a brand new 60 GB PS3 fat worth?

Collectordragon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
I'm curious because I have one (long story). I was planning on using it this summer but I may hold off if it's really valuable or useful since it has both the Emotion Chip and the original firmware which means it would still have the other OS option.

I've seen some ads online where people are selling it around the $300 price mark. Its basically worth what a 160gb slim it worth at the moment. If you find someone who want a custom OS on it you might be able to milk them for what they're worth. Good luck.

[quote name='XxNinjaStaRRxX']I've seen some ads online where people are selling it around the $300 price mark. Its basically worth what a 160gb slim it worth at the moment. If you find someone who want a custom OS on it you might be able to milk them for what they're worth. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Were the ones you saw used? I would think a brand new factory sealed 60 GB PS3 would be worth much more than $300.

In otherwords it's worth what it was when new?

If it still has all the factory seals I would hold on to it, especially if you can afford to get a newer one for use. These were very expensive when new and were usually opened.

No way it's worth $600. Why would anyone spend that much on a BC PS3? Just go out and buy a brand new one for $299 (maybe cheaper on sale) and get a used PS2 for $50. You'd be nuts to spend more than $250 on one of those old PS3s.

The hardware reliability on the original systems was not great either. Lots of folks (myself included) got in infamous dead BD disc drive withthe 60GB model.

[quote name='argyle']If I had one & could sell it for $600+, I'd do that in a heartbeat. Buy a slim & pocket the $300. Win.[/QUOTE]

Well if the person spent $499+tax or $599 or whatever, its not really pocketing any gains. More of a waste.

I kinda just asked this in a topic of my own and nobody replied. I guess there's still a bit of value in having an unmodified 60gb. (It's open but never installed the anti-Linux update.) Perhaps I'll leave it be for a while longer.

[quote name='mrwogs2']No way it's worth $600. Why would anyone spend that much on a BC PS3? Just go out and buy a brand new one for $299 (maybe cheaper on sale) and get a used PS2 for $50. You'd be nuts to spend more than $250 on one of those old PS3s.

The hardware reliability on the original systems was not great either. Lots of folks (myself included) got in infamous dead BD disc drive withthe 60GB model.[/QUOTE]
So many people are unwilling to crack open their older and already out of warranty systems to attempt a repair on their own.

A new PS3 laser for a 60gb is $78 from eStarland.com: http://www.estarland.com/index.asp?page=Playstation3&product=30310&q=

Then all you'd need is some time and patience to replace the lens on your own.

bread's done
Back