How much should I ask for this computer?

Capn Stabby

CAGiversary!
Feedback
56 (100%)
Hey guys,
I was just curious as to how much I should ask for my desktop on Craigslist, etc. I figure it would be easier to sell it and rebuild after a long drive home from college, rather than take up space lugging it back.

Specs:
Antec 900 Case
Asus P5Q Mobo
Q6600 @ 3.0
CNPS 9900 Cooler
80GB Raptor (was OEM)
320GB Seagate (dunno exact specs...SATA, etc though)
EVGA GTX260
Creative Xtreme Gamer Sound card
DVD Burner
Blu Ray/HD DVD combo drive (read only)
650 Watt Antec Power Supply (gotta check on exact model)

Thanks!

I would probably say around $850 or best offer since it sounds like it would be around $1,000 to build it new. Maybe a little more than that if you include Windows or if it isn't very old.

I disagree, I think it would be easier to just lug it back... it shouldn't take that much space, should it

you'd also lose money in the process

[quote name='Oktoberfest']I disagree, I think it would be easier to just lug it back... it shouldn't take that much space, should it

you'd also lose money in the process[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.

Used PCs have pretty bad resale value...

If space is an issue, you could always ship it ahead of you by UPS. Its probably cheaper than rebuilding it.

Yeah, just got 4 years of crap accumulated from reckless spending through CAG and SD to bring back from college. I mean, it's just a tower, so it won't take up that space ultimately, but part of me just wants a reason to rebuild later on, since I won't need a computer at home.

So it appears that selling the whole thing might be difficult, but what about parting it out? Would I get more money back that way?

I guess I'm leaning towards keeping it anyway...my first successful build that didn't catch on fire.

Probably the only things you could sell are the Graphics card, the Raptor HD and the Blu-Ray player. Other things are the kind of stuff I don't think people would want to buy off somebody that's not a retailer. I know I wouldn't.

Anandtech and Hardforum are 2 forums that I frequent where lots of people trade/sale/buy old and used computer hardware. Although it could be easier for you to just put the entire system on craigslist, but selling part by part will most likely net you more money, though it requires a lot more work.

I'm gonna say you'll expect to get around $700 for the system. But asking for $800 is reasonable and you know people will bargain.

As you mentioned, you may want to look into parting it out.

On a fully built box, I was losing about 38% on my resale, but I parted my box out and only lost about 23% of the original value. I had to work a bit more, so I really only saved maybe 11% (I had to factor in time and extra effort). Sometimes, I was able to sell the whole box for more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know I can always rely on CAG for sales. I probably won't be making a decision until the end of the month when I have to move, but I figured it'd be smart to plan ahead.

[quote name='Capn Stabby']Good to know I can always rely on CAG for sales. I probably won't be making a decision until the end of the month when I have to move, but I figured it'd be smart to plan ahead.[/QUOTE]

Everyday, the product depreciates, so don't take too long.

Heh.... well, I'll jump on the bandwagon. If you are parting it out, I'm interested in your Q6600 and the GTX 260. The GTX 260 I have in my siblings' computer is getting a bit lonely, it wants to be SLI'ed. :)

bread's done
Back