How much will PS3 games cost?

jrhawk42

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Ok with the rising cost of development, and the fact that every game on the ps3 will be on a blue ray disk how much will games cost for the ps3?

My guess is 60 bucks to keep competitive with 360, but somebody's going to be taking a lose on blue ray disc cost.

Should be about $60 each like you mentioned. I'm not sure if Sony's ready to put the cost of the Blu-Ray format onto the consumer just yet, otherwise that would be one more point against the system.

expect 49-59 .

although crappy games will hardly sell for 49-59 bucks. Look at 360 games the price points are freaking crazy. ranging from 29-59 bucks

And i do not buy comments about the so called rising costs of development.
its just like n64 games that were 59-69 bucks at release because catridge was soooooo expensive to makes games on.........

Its just another excuse to try and milk out more money for games.

While most people wont mind shelling out 60 bucks for A+ games . There are always only a handful of great games that coul possibly get away with it.

So if they will take a loss by selling a blue ray disc for $60 , does that mean the games will never go down in price !

they will take a loss in the system, but will get royalites from the blu-ray format, so they should be anyware from 49-69 and the system should be released at $399.

My guess is with the rise in space on each disk that there will be much more "Collectors Edition" games, and that they will probably charge $70 for Collectors and $60 for regular and on special occasions $50 for 3rd party, un-tripple A Titles.

As the life cycle of the PS3 goes on however, I can see all games going down to $50. It has been pretty steady at that price throughout gaming history.

N64 (new games) games cost around $60-70 at the start of its life... it takes time for these things to balance out.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']

And i do not buy comments about the so called rising costs of development.
its just like n64 games that were 59-69 bucks at release because catridge was soooooo expensive to makes games on.........

[/QUOTE]

I doubt that... the used game business is growing. Not only GS/EB as it was before but now there's also BestBuy, GR, and GC and the almighty eBay.

And development costs have gone up, do you honestly think that making a Xbox game costs the same as it does to make a 360 game?

guess i'll have to wait until PS3 titles become 'greatest hits'.......

might as well since i'm waiting till Sony irons out the kinks from the launch batch....

There IS a rise in game development costs, as it gets more complicated to make games. What some game publishers may not realize is that charging more for a single game will equal out by the consumer not being able to buy as many games a year.

Expect the first batch or even the first year's worth of games to be released on the standard DVDs. Just like a lot of PS2 games were released on CDs.

[quote name='Indiana']Expect the first batch or even the first year's worth of games to be released on the standard DVDs. Just like a lot of PS2 games were released on CDs.[/quote]

I thought that too, but apparently Sony has already stated that all games no matter what the size will be on Blu-Ray discs (probably because of the better security features). If that's true, then I don't see many budget titles happening for a while. And if Blu-Ray flops for any reason (remember, in the VHS v. Betamax war, Betamax was technically the superior format just like Blu-Ray is in pretty much every way, but VHS won because it was cheaper) it may take even longer. I guess if it becomes too much of a problem Sony could allow developers to use DVDs if they wish. Either way, I think the cost of PS3 games will be $60-70. It really depends on how much more Blu-Ray discs cost for them to use. I know everyone is saying "Blu-Ray movies are going to be $40" but that's because Hollywood knows that as a new technology they can charge more for it regardless, especially when it offers a picture better than DVD. The actual cost to them is probably $5 extra at most.

[quote name='doubledown']Well, Blu-Ray MOVIES have a MSRP of $40....so, I can only imagine a game will be at LEAST $60[/QUOTE]
Proof? This is all I could find about an MSRP since each studio chooses their own MSRP and the retailers can choose to sell at or below that price. The cost of Blu-Ray is not substantially more than DVD, not enough to make it any higher than the $60 prices we see on the Xbox 360. Plus, I have several DVD's with an MSRP of $40 or more and I paid much less for most of them.

[quote name='Limegreen']So if they will take a loss by selling a blue ray disc for $60 , does that mean the games will never go down in price ![/QUOTE]

If they were taking a loss when selling games at $60 there'd be no point in ever selling the games as they would never make a profit. They can afford to take a loss on the system because they make so much money on the games.

The PS3 will not have a slot for inserting games. Every system will come pre-loaded with ONE game. To play another game, you have to buy another system.

Also, all systems are fully integrated into a high end Sony HDTV. You cant buy the system separately.

Therefore, each game will cost $3000

I think the games will sell for $60, mainly because 360's games are that much meaning there's no need to go down to $50 to stay competitive. It also helps the cost of Blu-Ray discs over DVD's, which isn't as much as some of you are making it out to be.

i remember the NCWvNWO on the N64 was $65 when it came out, and that game kicked ass and still does. i like the red ninja guy.

No,I think the price is the same like X360.
In Japan, there is a price Law that say the next generation Game Disc should Be the same Price at 7800 JPY,so Maybe 56$

How can you make a law about how much people can charge for something? Maybe in the case of things that people NEED like gasoline or electricity, but a consumer product can't be limited in price. I can take a dump in a box and charge $60,000 for it if I want to.

It's gonna take quite a bit of money to develop games at 1080 p, though that won't happen for quite a while. B-R discs themselves are going to cost even manufacturers like 5 or 10 bucks at wholesale for a while. DVD media is pretty damn cheap right now. But I still suspect the games will be at $60 and most companies won't bother developing in 1080 p for quite some time.

[quote name='robbart914']It's gonna take quite a bit of money to develop games at 1080 p, though that won't happen for quite a while. B-R discs themselves are going to cost even manufacturers like 5 or 10 bucks at wholesale for a while. DVD media is pretty damn cheap right now. But I still suspect the games will be at $60 and most companies won't bother developing in 1080 p for quite some time.[/quote]

I still say your not going to see it much if ever (1080p games that is). Sure Gran Turismo HD was 1080p, but everyone seems underwhelmed by it and I'm guessing it's because they can't get the level of polygons into the cars and use the hi-res textures they probably want to do AND be 1080p at the same time, at least not yet.

I believe it was someone from the 1Up podcast that was saying they talked to the Warhawk guys and they said they simple couldn't get all the effects going they needed to run in 1080p. It just took too much processing power to do both, so they and I believe all other PS3 games but Gran Turismo HD at E3 are running at 720p.

CostCo now has A Knight's Tale and House of Flying Daggers for $19.99. So much for Blu-Ray being ultra expensive, hell, that's cheaper than fucking UMD.

[quote name='TimPV3']CostCo now has A Knight's Tale and House of Flying Daggers for $19.99. So much for Blu-Ray being ultra expensive, hell, that's cheaper than fucking UMD.[/QUOTE]
Not to mention cheaper than most HD-DVD movies out right now....

[quote name='TimPV3']CostCo now has A Knight's Tale and House of Flying Daggers for $19.99. So much for Blu-Ray being ultra expensive, hell, that's cheaper than fucking UMD.[/QUOTE]
That's because those are Sony pictures movies. Of course they're going to price their own movies cheaper. They did the same thing with UMDs. Sony releases were $15 or less whereas other studios had theirs MSRP'd at $20+

[quote name='RedvsBlue']That's because those are Sony pictures movies. Of course they're going to price their own movies cheaper. They did the same thing with UMDs. Sony releases were $15 or less whereas other studios had theirs MSRP'd at $20+[/QUOTE]
Actually House of Flying Daggers was one of the $25 UMD's...at least around here anyways...

Ps3 games should be 60 dollars; Sony makes the blue ray discs, plus with the amount of discs that are going to be manufactured, there's no way they can truly take a loss. A disc doesn't cost that much to manufacture, it's still just a disc. The technology is the blue ray laser which reads it. I like collectors edition games for blue ray; but the best way to use it is for the game itself. GTA for example... yeah it might come out on 360, but who cares if the ps3 version uses the blue ray format correctly. How? Take Vice city(miami), New York, San andreas(los angeles), and some other us city, and make a massive GTA that allows you to have access to various cities, rather than just one with two sides. Various cities, with next gen details will fill up a 25gb disc, so much so that it wouldn't even fit on a 360 dvd disc.

shit man, I hope they stay at a reasonable price. I just got a raise from my marketing job, but with increased rent, I already feel like I'm more in the hole than before. If games go up in price, I'll be screwed.

Yet SCEA president Kaz Hirai isn't promising a $59.99 price tag for PS3 games this fall. In an interview with PSM, the Sony leader explained. So, what I can say now is, I think it would be a bit of a stretch to think that we could suddenly turn around and say "PS3 games now $99.99" I don't think the consumers expect the software pricing to suddenly be double," he told the magazine. "So, if it becomes a bit higher than fifty-nine bucks don't ding me, but, again, as I said, I don't expect it to be a hundred bucks."

In other words, consumers should expect PS3 games to cost somewhere between $59.99 and $99.99. He doesn't expect them to be a hundred dollars, but it's only a "stretch" to expect it. Have we moved back to the cartridge ages here? Wasn't disc-based media supposed to make everything cheaper? I don't want to remember how much my parent's paid for several of Square's older SNES releases during Christmas.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3151823

Looks like there's a good chance you'll be paying more than $60 for PS3 games.

[quote name='robbart914']It's gonna take quite a bit of money to develop games at 1080 p, though that won't happen for quite a while. B-R discs themselves are going to cost even manufacturers like 5 or 10 bucks at wholesale for a while. DVD media is pretty damn cheap right now. But I still suspect the games will be at $60 and most companies won't bother developing in 1080 p for quite some time.[/QUOTE]
1080p is very similar to 1024x768 on a PC...

Modern PC game engines, such as Source, can do more than DOUBLE 1080p.

The PS3 easily has enough power to run any current PC graphic engines...

bread's done
Back