How much would you guys say is to much for a PS3?

iceytoa1

CAGiversary!
Just wondered whether anyone could help me out.

I'm looking at Purchasing a PS3 for the Shadow of the Colossus re-release and the Star Wars Saga Blu-Rays.

I want to get an original PS3 (one of the "Phat" ones) and I don't care about the Hard drive size, PS2 compatibility doesn't really matter either because I have a PS2.

What kind should I be looking for and what should be the maximum I spend?

Thanks in Advance :)

(Quick note My 360 is my main games console, so the PS3 would only be used for exclusives and Blu-Ray)

[quote name='iceytoa1']Just wondered whether anyone could help me out.

I'm looking at Purchasing a PS3 for the Shadow of the Colossus re-release and the Star Wars Saga Blu-Rays.

I want to get an original PS3 (one of the "Phat" ones) and I don't care about the Hard drive size, PS2 compatibility doesn't really matter either because I have a PS2.

What kind should I be looking for and what should be the maximum I spend?

Thanks in Advance :)

(Quick note My 360 is my main games console, so the PS3 would only be used for exclusives and Blu-Ray)[/QUOTE]

Any reason why you're looking for a fat instead of a slim? Specialy since you don't care about BC?

[quote name='erequena']Any reason why you're looking for a fat instead of a slim? Specialy since you don't care about BC?[/QUOTE]
The Only thing the PS3 had going for it (No offence to you anyone, but the Price and i've never really been a fan of the controller) were the looks.

The Slims just look a bit cheap.

Again No offence to anyone who loves the slim :)

I don't like the slims either- but I replaced both of my fats with slims. The slim runs quieter, doesn't get as hot, and takes up less space.

Buying a fat at this point is just a bad investment. You would be paying extra money for a model that is inevitably going to suffer from the YLOD problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I paid $200 for a 40GB in 2009 on ebay, so you should be able to get one cheaper than that (or around that price.)
I put some new thermal paste on it last year (just a precaution) and it hasn't overheated/shut off once.

Once you get a PS3 you'll throw away the 360. (It's probably half way there already, lol). I'll agree that the originals look a little better but I wasn't a fan of the chrome and the slim isn't all that bad. How often do you look at it anyway? I'd rather less noise and power consumption. My 60gb works fine, I only got a slim because I didn't want to update the 60.

Thing is at this point to get an original means getting it used and that's always a gamble. I think the hardware issues stem from lack of maintenance, not a design flaw. If it works and you keep it clean then all should be ok. Price? No idea. The oldest models will cost more because they carry more functionality.

I've called a guy I know and he's selling a 40 Gig preowned for £170 with a Game and controller.

And the overheating your talking about, wouldn't be that much of a Problem since i'd only use it ocassionally for Films and a few games.

I don't think the Slim looks cheap at all. Have you ever seen it in person? I used to feel the same way until i saw it at a local Target store. It looks very solid and high-end. I'd opt for a slim, just because it's more reliable than older PS3 models.

edit: If you only use it sparingly then I guess you're probably okay as far as overheating goes.

here's a pretty good unboxing/comparison video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jFXeqftppo

id pick a slim for around $200 give or take $20
if you want a phat one get the last gen 40gb, it is the least prone to ylod out of the phats and tied with slim. the 40gb is about $200 as well.

:( i miss my 20gb though...

[quote name='ssjmichael']I don't think the Slim looks cheap at all. Have you ever seen it in person? I used to feel the same way until i saw it at a local Target store. It looks very solid and high-end. I'd opt for a slim, just because it's more reliable than older PS3 models.

edit: If you only use it sparingly then I guess you're probably okay as far as overheating goes.

here's a pretty good unboxing/comparison video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jFXeqftppo[/QUOTE]

i think when he says the slim looks cheap he may mean because of the dull finish on it. the old ps3s where shiny and bright but i have to say looks wise the slim looks better in how its built and i love that it doesnt make your room a sauna lol.

[quote name='nbballard']I don't like the slims either- but I replaced both of my fats with slims. The slim runs quieter, doesn't get as hot, and takes up less space.

Buying a fat at this point is just a bad investment. You would be paying extra money for a model that is inevitably going to suffer from the YLOD problem.[/QUOTE]
Yeah in the long run there is no real reason to buy a Fat PS3, I had two before hand they both broke(Not due to any PS problems :p) but the slim does run alot better I left it on for about 2 weeks on accident when I went on vacation and it wasn't even hot and it ran just fine. Plus they usally have alot more memory I have 56 DL games atm on it and still have over 120 GBs left.

A new Slim costs $300. Unless you can get a fat for significantly less, I would say get a slim.

The slim uses alot less power and will lower your electric bill significantly over the course of it's lifespan (vs using a fat). You should factor that into your decision.

My gas & electric bill was $482 dollars last month. I've become VERY conscious of what I waste electricy on.

How the hell do you accidentally leave it on for 2 weeks?

Good thinking Puff. Everyone complains about bills but not enough consider how they can reduce them. Elec is a biggie. Each device with a standby light is eating power all day. My PC goes off each night and so do the floor switches on my Wii/PS3 to shut off standby. I do leave the router/modem on though.

As far as the slims versus originals the shiny was what I didn't like. The chrome on the 60 just made it worse. Now the slim matches all my other consoles in that it doesn't stand out as much sitting on the shelf. It's all stupid picky stuff of course but my point is don't discredit the slim on looks. As with many of the things I use daily I prefer functionality over appearance.

Slims run better, but the Phats look a hell of a lot better. the original 60 gb one was a thing of beauty. Plus they have 256 mbs of Nand flash ram. Slims only have 16 mb of nand.

[quote name='erequena']I'd say go for a Slim, as mentioned they run 'better' than the fat ones and are a lot less YLOD-prone.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='nbballard']You would be paying extra money for a model that is inevitably going to suffer from the YLOD problem.[/QUOTE]
You guys say it like the PS3 is a first gen 360.
The failure rate isn't that high, and it definitely isn't inevitable. As long as you have good ventilation and don't beat it up, it should last a really long time.

Not faster that I can tell, quieter and cooler. There were a few times on my old 60 that the fans sped up to a higher level during a session. Not a major problem, just something to note. I could feel some of the heat being vented out the sides as well. (I tried to keep it clean to prevent overheating, it's likely impossible to prevent all dust from settling in there.)

The slim I've had since last summer and not once have I heard the fans. Heat, barely out the back vents. I don't mean to say the old ones are bad as long as you take care of it. At this time though it's going to cost just as much and lots more effort to track down one that works well. Abused systems will be all over Ebay and GS.

Just don't spend $600 like I did for my 60gb /painful nostalgia.

Though it is an impressive system hardware wise. It's almost 100% quiet, though it does have random sound spikes every now and then, and it gets pretty hot pretty quick. I haven't had any problems with it, though compared to my 360 (which I recently got rid of) and my PC, it hasn't had 1/100 of the playing time so that's probably why it still runs so well.

either way I have a couple of tips for you, 1 make sure you keep it dust free (canned air is your friend) and well ventilated, I have a 20gb launch unit (god I paid like $500 or $600 for it whatever retail was when it came out), and it never has given me any issues and needless to say I really play a lot of blu rays and games on it, even long hours on Netflix.

^ I don't really think that matters. I mean, I think it's important to clean it, but i don't think it's going to stop it from YLOD. I cleaned my system out ever week with canned air and a mini-vac.

Hi guys just thought you'd want to know that in the end I got an 80 gig original PS3 with Motorstorm, Ratchet and Clank:Tools of Destruction anda HDMI for £200

[quote name='LottaGames']How the hell do you accidentally leave it on for 2 weeks? [/QUOTE]

" on accident when I went on vacation "
Reading is hardz :O

bread's done
Back