How much would YOU pay for Rock Band?

derder

CAGiversary!
Try to answer the best you can, if you can't find an option, don't vote but post it below. This assumes that you can't use your GH2 controller for argument's sake.

I want more info before I commit to anything. I don't really wanna pay anything more than $50 for the game and $40 for any 1 instrument.

I put $150. I've been a hardcore fan of Harmonix since before the GH days. I have Freq/Amp, and actually went around trying to track down a Network Adaptor disc 1 to get the Freq Online addon. (No luck though =\) I'd absolutely love to see them do this, and if it came with *everything* (Guitar, Drum Kit and Microphone), I'd slap down 150 for it easy.

Alright. I'm the proud only-person-so-far to say $250. Plus. Considering I've already spent $170 on Guitar Hero II (PS2 and 360), taking it to the next level for more Harmonix goodness is a no-brainer. Of course, I am thinking on the order of a guitar, bass, drum, and mic.

Also Harmonix, please release a keyboard so that I may give you more money.

[quote name='CokeCola']Alright. I'm the proud only-person-so-far to say $250. Plus. Considering I've already spent $170 on Guitar Hero II (PS2 and 360), taking it to the next level for more Harmonix goodness is a no-brainer. Of course, I am thinking on the order of a guitar, bass, drum, and mic.

Also Harmonix, please release a keyboard so that I may give you more money.[/QUOTE]
Still waiting for "Keytar Hero".

You wouldn't 'need' a mic. The K-Rev games, DEVELOPED BY HARMONIX, support any USB Microphones, unlike Sony and their proprietary Singstar mics.

I voted 150 because it would have to come with some decent controllers - atleast a nice drum kit and the guitar of course. Subtract about 50 if theres no guitar and it can use the Guitar Hero ones. Also subtract 30 to the 150 pricetag if the instrument controllers are shiatty.

[quote name='Z-Saber']I voted for $100 because it's the lowest number above zero.[/QUOTE]
If the game is as good as guitar hero and the same thing he said. I would not pay more than $100.

[quote name='fraggedbylaggers']$0.

I am in a real band.
Guitar Hero was silly but really fun.
This is taking it too far.[/QUOTE]
For real. Games like this are stopping kids from actually learning guitar and starting quality bands. Video game versions of guitars are more popular than real guitars, and frankly, that sucks.

[quote name='JJSP']For real. Games like this are stopping kids from actually learning guitar and starting quality bands. Video game versions of guitars are more popular than real guitars, and frankly, that sucks.[/QUOTE]

I don't know how true this is. I know since GH came out, more and more shitty guitarists showed up in my school. And I too have picked up the axe in a poor attempt to be a true guitar hero.

But on topic:
I think this might be over kill. It sounds awsome on paper, but I can only see this leading to arguments over who gets what instrument, and since most of my close friends are all from the wrestling team, shit would get broken really quickly in my house. And I say my house, because I know I'd be the only one of my friends to drop the cash for a game like this.

How often did most people play multiplayer Guitar Hero? Now you're going to have to have a committed group of players who are at least good enough to get through the song. I can imagine "bands" getting together for "practice" so they can get ready for their "gig." Maybe they'll even get some "chicks."

[quote name='Ahadi']I don't know how true this is. I know since GH came out, more and more shitty guitarists showed up in my school. And I too have picked up the axe in a poor attempt to be a true guitar hero.[/QUOTE]
That's because people think scoring a bunch of points in GH = being good at guitar.

If people put down the game and picked up the guitar, practice would make perfect. Instead, practice makes achievement points, which unfortunately can't be exchanged for a record contract.

[quote name='JJSP']That's because people think scoring a bunch of points in GH = being good at guitar.

If people put down the game and picked up the guitar, practice would make perfect. Instead, practice makes achievement points, which unfortunately can't be exchanged for a record contract.[/QUOTE]
There are a lot of skills you can learn by playing the game, like speed and accuracy in both your picking and fretting hands and timing. The game can't teach you how to write a song or even learn to play by ear.

Being a guitarist, I've found myself playing a lot of the songs I learned from the game. Most of them are tons easier on a real guitar than they are in the game on expert.

[quote name='JJSP']For real. Games like this are stopping kids from actually learning guitar and starting quality bands.[/QUOTE]
No they aren't.

[quote name='JJSP']That's because people think scoring a bunch of points in GH = being good at guitar.

If people put down the game and picked up the guitar, practice would make perfect. Instead, practice makes achievement points, which unfortunately can't be exchanged for a record contract.[/QUOTE]

But these guys aren't picking up a guitar to learn to play it for a record contract. They want to play covers of songs they like or heard in GH. I, for instance am more or less just dicking around learning 80's metal and jamming with a friend of mine who's a drummer.

In the end, it's just about the fun. I really suck at this guitar thing, but the game makes me fee like I'm a super star. At least a game is inspiring people to half get up and get motivated to try something new as opposed to just sitting on the couch waiting for the next level to load. I can say that's where my initiative to make an attempt to learn came from.

You know, if there’s one crappy thing about Guitar Hero, it’s that it seems to bring out the elitist snob in people that “can really do that” more than any other game. I think maybe guitarists get angry because they see gamers enjoying something with little effort that the guitarists themselves worked very hard to achieve. Of course, the game and the instrument are different, but how dare they think they are having fun?! Guitarists: Guitar Hero does not detract from your hobby any more than Gran Turismo detracts from the profession of a race car driver, Madden detracts from that of a football player, Tony Hawk detracts from that of a skateboarder, or GTA detracts from that of a homicidal maniac. Guitar Hero is a video game, and just because it has a unique controller to more closely emulate the activity it is mimicking, it is no more a threat to that activity than any other video game, and it is no less a video game than any other. Guitar Hero is not popular because it lets the unwashed masses really play the guitar, it is popular because it is accessible, challenging, rewarding, and unique (in this market). And maybe it even gives us a peek at that world of musical creation, even if is only crude mimicry at this point.

[quote name='Harmonixmusic.com/'] Alex and Eran formed Harmonix initially not to develop videogames, but rather to create new ways for non-musicians to experience the unique joy that comes from making music.[/quote]

Those bastards.

If people put down the game and picked up the guitar, practice would make perfect. Instead, practice makes achievement points, which unfortunately can't be exchanged for a record contract.[/quote]

As much as I hate these quotey-post arguments, let me get this straight: Did you just ridicule people for being inspired to try the guitar after playing Guitar Hero, and then suggest that instead of playing Guitar Hero, people should play the guitar? In the same post?

guitar.jpg

Harmonix art director Ryan Lesser has told GamesIndustry.biz that the company is doing everything it can to ensure forthcoming title Rock Band is affordable for consumers, he came out and said exactly “There’s no way we’re going to make a game that people are not going to be happy about buying. We scrutinize every little piece that goes into every peripheral to make sure that it’s affordable and still really high quality.”

I can see the whole set (drums/guitar/mic) being around $200-$250 or so, but who knows, I just wonder if being with Mtv is helping or hurting what the companies next game as far as how the finished product will look/play.

[source]

nevermind affording it...i just don't want all that crap clogging up my room.

I think this game will be overkill.

[quote name='Apossum']nevermind affording it...i just don't want all that crap clogging up my room.

I think this game will be overkill.[/quote]

Ditto on the clogging up my room comment. I don't see this title making it.

The game is to have network support. In other words, you don't HAVE to buy every peripheral yourself, the people you're playing with (friends? anyone?) would buy the game & a peripheral too.

I really don't get why people assume that they have to buy every single piece themselves if they buy this.

[quote name='argyle']The game is to have network support. In other words, you don't HAVE to buy every peripheral yourself, the people you're playing with (friends? anyone?) would buy the game & a peripheral too.

I really don't get why people assume that they have to buy every single piece themselves if they buy this.[/quote]

Doesn't it just come in one big package? or can you just get like the game and buy the guitar and drums seperately? The cost shouldn't really be a problem as if you and your friends want it, you can split the cost four ways for the game, unless you got some freeloading friends.

[quote name='argyle']The game is to have network support. In other words, you don't HAVE to buy every peripheral yourself, the people you're playing with (friends? anyone?) would buy the game & a peripheral too.

I really don't get why people assume that they have to buy every single piece themselves if they buy this.[/quote]

It's not a matter of having to buy anything it's just that if I buy the game and feel like playing some drums or something I don't want to shell out $60 more dollars or whatever they end up costing. It sounds like it is going to be a really great game - like Guitar Hero on steroids or something - and I think everyone wants to play everything it has to offer without spending an arm and a leg.

[quote name='Thongsy']Doesn't it just come in one big package? or can you just get like the game and buy the guitar and drums seperately? The cost shouldn't really be a problem as if you and your friends want it, you can split the cost four ways for the game, unless you got some freeloading friends.[/QUOTE]I dunno, personally I get antsy about spending money on a pricey peripheral that I can't even use unless I'm at my friend's house. Plus you end up with situations like that episode of The Simpsons with the Radioactive Man comic book.

What are all the different instruments anyway? Just a guitar, bass (same peripheral as guitar), drums, and a mic/headset of some sort? A lot of people already have two GH guitars on them, so it might not be so bad.

Like I said in another thread. They need to release the game for $50-$60. Then have the peripherals available separately for about $20-$30 a piece. Then you can pick and choose what you want.

The bottom line is that if they sell it with all 3 instruments. Then they're pretty much limiting the customer base to people who could get a group of friends or family to come over, and "rock out."

Well they aren't going to say you CAN'T afford it...affording it isn't the issue anyway...the issue is having zero interest in the game, similar to how I feel about GH

[quote name='BustaUppa']I dunno, personally I get antsy about spending money on a pricey peripheral that I can't even use unless I'm at my friend's house. Plus you end up with situations like that episode of The Simpsons with the Radioactive Man comic book.

What are all the different instruments anyway? Just a guitar, bass (same peripheral as guitar), drums, and a mic/headset of some sort? A lot of people already have two GH guitars on them, so it might not be so bad.[/quote]

That's what came to mind too, like who would get to keep the set, and how often would people have to come over to play to make it even worthwhile. That's the only logical way to justify the $200-250 dollars for it. I like the idea somebody else said, $50 for just the game and sell all the guitars and drums seperately.

The way I see it is that if I can use my current guitar (as Harmoix stated) then I'd be in for $100 for the drum version of the game. I do not need all the instruments and I think that EA will package this as different SKUs, one with the guitar, one with the drums, one with the microphone, etc. Of course what would be great is if, the current GH2 guitars work for the guitar and bass parts of the game and the headset worked for the microphone (just like Madonna), then some of the target market for this game would only need to pick up the drums.

bread's done
Back