How noob friendly is Universe at War?

mattyice11

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
I'd like to give the RTS genre a try and I keep seeing deals posted for Universe at War. I assume some of you have picked it up - any feedback? Any recommendations for other noob friendly RTS games - really only looking for single player.

I don't know about the PC version, I have it for console. It seemed pretty simple though.
Have you ever played any type of RTS before?

There really aren't any very complex RTS games recently(except Supreme Commander), if you're only looking for single player.
Might wanna try command and conquer 3 as well, if there's a deal on it.

Sup Com was tough, as long as you stay away from the expansion, C&C 3 might not be bad to cut your teeth on, consider Company of Heroes, it's dropped in price by now, and has done away with all of the building of typical RTS's, instead you generate supplies from each control point you control, giving the game a Risk like feel, and adding strategy by which you can cut off enemy supply lines(or they can turn the tide by doing that to you).

Sorry to break the double posting forum rules, but just realized, World in Conflict was another great RTS that foregoes the builing resource hog and amps up the action, awesome game!

I haven't gotten around to Universe at War (despite owning it), but as far as "noob friendly" RTS go, you really can't go wrong with the two long-time genre leaders: Starcraft and Command and Conquer (I recommend C&C 3 from that series).

Those two games will introduce the basics of resource management, which some games take a step further (such as Supreme Commander - a very good game, but not very noob friendly) while also learning and understanding the basics of unit upgrades and creating a strong and balanced attack force. Not to mention the games themselves kick all sorts of ass.

Company of Heroes is another good RTS (although a bit too advanced to be considered a noob RTS in my opinion) if your PC can run it well. I'd recommend trying that one after you give Starcraft and/or C&C a shot.

Universe at War is fairly Noob heavy (then again, just about any rts designed for a console will be). It's been awhile since I've played it, but from what I remember, it's incredibly simple.

Resource management is really simple - only one resource, one of the races generates theirs, while the other two has drones that will seek out new sources automatically.

Only the hero units have indidual actions or moves they can perform - all the other units may have different forms, but that's it. Makes micro-management of units a relatively small concern.

It's probably a good RTS if you're just learning RTS's, but if you've played them before, you may find it a little simple and boring.

Honestly, the most noob friendly RTS games I've seen are the Battle for Middle Earth games. People complained about how in the first one you could only build in certain areas, but that seems like the kind of thing that would be helpful for new players. You can get the two games for $10 each anywhere.

Also, Age of Empires 3 has a good tutorial and an easy learning curve.

I thought C&C was a lot of fun, but I thought it got really difficult about 2/3 of the way through. Lots of action and very entertaining, though.

Don't go for newb friendly... jump straight into something hardcore like WC3 and just work at it. Or find a friend to get it at the same time as you, then play newb vs newb until you're better.

Newb friendly RTSes are shallow and have no micro emphasis... deep strategy and intense micro is the entire point of RTS, shallow RTSes that only focus on macro are boring as hell.

RTS just isn't a genre for newbs, but they're insanely fun once you get good.

Edit: Of course I'm referring to skirmish (online / LAN) play -- I must've missed the single-player part. Micro never really matters in single-player modes. Although IMO RTSes are boring single player...

UaW is fairly noob friendly.... however it gets boring pretty darn quickly and I like the whole campy B movie feel to it.

I suggest, Starcraft, Age of Empires 2, C&C3, Company of Heroes and World in Conflict for good single player RTSes.

bread's done
Back