How often do you use the backwards compatibility features on your current consoles?

ananag112

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
This summer I used the bc feature quite a bit on my Xbox 360 since my Live Gold subscription ran out. I played through Halo 2 and Ninja Gaiden Black and tried to play Time Splitters Future Perfect and Oddworld Strangers Wrath, but sadly the latter two games do not work on the 360 :(. Thus I had to play them on my Xbox instead.

Besides that, the only time I have ever used BC on a console was to play Um Jammer Lammy on the PS2. On my DS, I play GBA games quite often with games like Warioware Twisted and Advance Wars.

I don't think BC is a very important feature for consoles mMostly because, the older systems can be had for very cheap and you can play it on those if you ever need to. I think bc is more important on handheld systems as you don't want to be carrying multiple systems with you all the time.

not often. Will play through God of War 2 before 3 comes out. ICO & Shadow of Colossus before The Last Guardian releases.

Rarely on my 360 (I own 2 Xbox games) and sometimes on my PS3; basically whenever I get to a PS2 game in my backlog

I used it a lot when I first got my Wii at launch. I have never used it on the 360 which is why it didn't bother me so much when I had to get a PS3 without it. In my opinion, it is something that should be expected in the systems but, since I keep all of mine, it is not a must have for me.

Extremely rare -- I'd get rid of my 60GB PS3 (which has since been upgraded to 500GB) and get a PS3 Slim, but I don't want to lose any money on the deal.

I use it sometimes and its nice to now its is available since I have a pretty good collection of games from last generation.

Hardly ever on the 360. Considering they haven't updated BC in a very long time, this is no real surprise either.

On the PS3, I use it to occasionally play an old PS2 game, but even that's rare.

PS2 on 60gig PS3? All the damn time. I only use my PS2 for Guitar Hero Rocks the 80s and Time Crisis: Crisis Zone because those games are among the few that don't work well on the 60gig PS3.

XBOX on XBOX 360? Depends on the game, depends on how well the game runs.

I don't have a Wii, but I barely play my GCN to begin with.

GBA on DS? Yes. I wish Nintendo put in Game Boy/Game Boy Color compatibility and link cable compatibility, too. That would have made the DS the ultimate portable console.

Not at all. There wasn't much I wanted to play on the Xbox when I had it last gen, and thus I've not put any Xbox discs in my 360.

When I had a Wii at launch I did use it some as I had a couple Gamecube games I still needed to finish, and I used the VC some for a few months before ditching it as there were hardly any Wii games that interested me after Zelda, Mario and Metroid were done.

But basically I just stick with current gen games. BC is a nice feature to have, but it's one I can do without as I'd pretty much only use it the first 6 months to a year after buying a new console when I may have a couple last gen games still on the shelf to play. After that, I stick with the latest and greatest AAA games in the genre I like and forget about any old unplayed games as I couldn't care less if I play every good game out there.

60GB - havent play any ps2 or ps1 games. Havent even use it to watch a dvd
Xbox 30- havent play any xbox 1 game on it
DS Lite - never play a GBA game on it
Wii - never try any gamecuube games.

I use BC on my Wii quite a bit. I have a few GC games that I like to go back and play once in a while. And I picked up Wave Race: Blue Storm and Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat really cheap recently since they were a couple games I wanted to play and never got around to.

On my DS I basically never use it. I didn't own a GBA and games stick out on the DS Lite and I've never had a shortage of games to play on the DS. And I do most of my gaming at home so I don't have as much time for the DS as the Wii.

I pick up any used Xbox games I see for my 360, since I didn't have the OG xbox. Just finished Psychonauts on it a little while ago.

Don't have a Wii and my PS3 is not BC.

whenever i feel like it. most of the ps2 games i own are games that i love and dont mind playing over and over so i switch it up when i feel like it. bc was important to me so i made sure to get a bc system. been thinking about playing kh1 again as well as finishing jaws.

I completely missed out on the past two generations. Therefore, I use BC a lot.

On my Wii, I play Gamecube games all the time. I've picked up quite a few through Goozex, and they are pretty damn good.

I don't have a 360/PS3, but I have a PS2 which I don't really use a lot. Just the fact that I get a lot more games for the Wii/GCN than the PS2. I would use it for PS1 games, but I don't have a PS1 memory card and don't plan on getting one soon.

As for my Dreamcast, well, that doesn't have BC. :(

I have a 60gb PS3. I rarely use it. If I could get a decent price on it, I would sell it in a heartbeat and get a slim ps3 and ps2 for those days I might actually play a ps2 game.

Never owned a GameCube, but built up quite the library of GC titles before getting a Wii at launch ;) There's still a few I haven't gotten around to yet, and one or two more that I want to pick up sometime. As for the 360, its backwards compatibility never gets used.

Lately, I've been playing a handful of GBA games on my DS (as well as a GB game on my GBA). There's also a PS1 game in my backlog... which I will eventually play on my PS2.

I use BC on my ps3 A LOT. I still play my ps2 collection of fighting games on my ps3, as well as other new ps2 games i buy recently. and thats on top of me using my actual ps2 still for ps2 games as well.

on my wii i played quite a bit of gamecube 1st patry games back when there was a dry spell of good wii titles... lol i feel another dry spell happening

A few times a month on different systems. Given my current setup, it allows me to play six system libraries worth of stuff for only the space required for three small consoles. Considering I still have a 40+ game backlog for those previous generations, BC tends to be very handy to have at any given moment. Less stress on the old switch box as well.

360 - Barely any at all what so ever. The backwards compatability sucks mandelorian jesus balls.

PS3 (60GB) - All the time. Play more earlier generation games than I do PS3 games on it and it's not from lack of PS3 games.

DSLite - Use to be 50/50 or more in favor of the GBA games, but it's probably about 30/60 in favor of DS games right now. (Granted I use my DSi to play DS games)

Wii - Don't really use it for that much outside of Virtual Console. Although I'm tempted to pop in Skies of Arcadia Legends once I finish a run of Grandia on my PS3 which I'm in the middle of.

PC - Although this doesn't quite count, a majority of the games I play on it lately have been older games. I'm currently going through Arcania on it and went through Diablo 2 on battle.net with a friend not too long ago.

Once and awhile on XBox but overall hardly use it.
On the Wii? Never.

I just like having systems backwards for the first year or so they are out because everyone knows the launch years of systems USUALLY suck.

After that it isn't much of an issue but It's always a plus to have, especially with the XBox considering how much space that sucker took up.

I used to for GC games on the Wii, but haven't used any BC since.

I'm interested in playing current gen games and I was fortunate enough to own a PS2 for several years, so I don't have any real backlog to speak of.

I found I haven't used it at all. I still have my original xbox set up, but I did try to load halo 2 in my 360 once, and I know they get loud sometimes, but jesus, it was like a fucking jet engine going off.

It helps me out because I don’t enough room to have all of my consoles out at the moment.

PS2 - I’m catching up on all the games I missed out on in the PSX era and I switch between playing PS2 and PSX games often.

Wii – I have a good size collection of GC that I still play and, like I said before, I don’t have the space for both consoles to be out.

DS – I still play my GBA games often. But the thing is I only have the old GBA and not a GBA SP. I just can’t play games on that thing anymore (I still want to get an SP someday).

:360:: I've never played an original Xbox game.

:wii:: So many great GameCube games! Wave Race, F-Zero, Skies of Arcadia, Twilight Princess, and more. I don't think the Virtual Console really counts as BC per se (no more than ports like Ikaruga on XBLA), but in case it does, I think I play more TurboGrafx games than Wii games.

:ds:: Mostly for the GBA Final Fantasy ports.

Basically what everyone else has been saying so far...

I use the PS3 to play PS2 games all the damn time, 360 very rarely, and sometimes the Wii for Gamecube games.

Just too many good games on the PS2 for me to completely ignore BC.

I never get rid of my older systems. Bit of a collector. So backwards compatability is not necessarily a deal-breaker for me. At the same time, it is a very convenient feature that I enjoy having. I went out of my way to acquire the 80-Gig MGS4 bundled PS3 because of its backwards compatability support. Now that they've announced that BC for the PS3 is AWOL, I'm glad I did.

Of the three current consoles, the Wii is easily the best for BC. The 360 is now better for BC than the PS3. The PS3 isn't out of the running entirely, as it still fully supports PS1 games. Given the nature of BC in previous console genarations, I suppose we should all consider ourselves lucky.

One of my favorite examples of BC is the GameBoy Player for the Gamecube. It is arguably the very best way to play classic GameBoy titles. It fully supports every game with the word "Gameboy" on it. From the original Gameboy, through the Gameboy Color, to the Gameboy Advance. It will play them all, and on a large screen with the maximum number of colors for each game. The only way to get a better experience is by going the illegal emulation route. The only real probelm with the Gameboy Player is the %*(*! D-Pad on the Gamecube controller. (that D-pad is crap, and so is its placement on the controller)

When I use to own a Wii all I played on there was Gamecube games. Then I sold it and got a Gamecube and more Gamecube games. I play a lot of PSOne games on my newer PS3. I hope to get another PS2 one day.

I chose rarely because when I first got my Xbox 360 I was still addicted to Halo 2. Other than that my 360 has never been used for backwards compatibility.

Never on the Wii. (The only thing I would've used it on was Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4.)

Never on the 360. (I still have my modded Xbox.)

Almost never on my PS3. (I've popped in maybe three PS2 games total.)

I don't bother, I buy the new systems to play the current games not to play the "old" ones. I play PS3 games on my PS3 and I kept my ps2 it's still hooked up just not plugged in, with about 30+ games waiting to be played.

I use the BC on the Wii a lot. I don't have enough room in my TV stand to house a Gamecube, so being able to play those games on the Wii is a big plus.

Other than that, I play PS1 games on my PS2 all the time. But that's not a current console.

I use BC on Xbox 360 and PS2 quite a bit. I play Star Wars Battlefront and SWB II on Xbox 360 alot, and I'm presently working through the Tomb Raider series (original, 2, and 3) 0n PS2.

Not often, I tried playing Half-Life 2 on the Xbox 360 and it lagged horribly, so I gave that away. But if I had the Playstation 3 with BC, I'd definitely use that, since my PS2 library is pretty extensive.

Of course, especially with the Ps3, nothing has exceeded the quality of Ps2 Gaming for me.

Gems like SotC and GoW for example still look and play great by any standard. The generation of now hasn't really felt like a jump in the quality of gaming or graphics, beyond appearing more shiny, HD, and including neat motion control gimmicks. Not bad, but by no means the next level. Maybe that's because gaming has come so far, that it's getting harder to top as the generations come by. Who knows.

I just don't think I'd be as quick to purchase a next gen console as I usually am if there wasn't a BC incentive.

bread's done
Back