How old do you have to be to work at Best Buy or Circuit City?

X-plicit

CAG Veteran
Well, they're building both of these near me and I'm about to turn 16 in a few months. So, my question is how old do you gotta be to work in these places? Sorry if this thread is in the wrong forum.

[quote name='zewone']16 I'm pretty sure, I used to know a couple of chicks that worked there before they were 18.[/QUOTE]
pics pleaze :drool: :drool: :drool:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If you manage to get a job at Circuit City would you be hated by everyone that survived the recent layoffs? It seems like now would be a bad time to apply there.

Well, the Circuit City near my home isn't even done being built yet same for Best Buy. So there's no employees to hate me? But, which should I still work at?

I would apply to the closer one and if it's your first job,you probably won't get hired.Try going for a fast food restaurant and get experience and then apply there.

It's 16, but if you don't have any previous job experience, it may be bit difficult. Anyway, even though not many seem to like working there, at 16 (and possible your first job) there aren't many better places you can work. Retail sucks, but much better than fast food in my opinion.

For everyone saying that he should not work at CC or BB, do you know any other better places that hire 16 year olds? Yes the job does suck, but it's something most people have to go through. To be honest, I would've loved a job at either of those places at that age. I was working fast food at 16, which was even worse. It wasn't until a year later when I was a bit older and had some experience when I was able to get a job in retail.

Thanks guys. Well the reason I wanna work there is for employee discount on games and electronics. There is discount right? And what makes working at Best Buy and Circuit City so bad? Thanks.

I don't believe the discounts on games are much--from what I hear, it's around $5, and nothing on hardware.
Two of my friends from college got shitcanned from Best Buy, on two separate occasions, for using their employee discount too much. They got accused of buying things for their friends, and were asked to leave. Might be something to consider.

[quote name='msdmoney']You must have the mental capacity of a 5 year old to work there.[/QUOTE]

Wow, thats news to me. Tell that to the many college students I work with, and myself include this being my senior year and Ill be graduating with a 4.0. I guess there is just slim pickings around your area.

I have zero bad things to say about working at Best Buy. I work in the Home Theater department, and I really enjoy it. There are just some people that don't want to do any actual work and get paid for it so they complain about working at BB because *gasp* it involves actual work.

I think the worst part about it is how you are forced into pressuring every customer to buy extras like magazine subscriptions and warranties, and if you don't sell enough of them then you will get in trouble or possibly fired. Its really a sales job, not a basic retail job.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Wow, thats news to me. Tell that to the many college students I work with, and myself include this being my senior year and Ill be graduating with a 4.0. I guess there is just slim pickings around your area.

I have zero bad things to say about working at Best Buy. I work in the Home Theater department, and I really enjoy it. There are just some people that don't want to do any actual work and get paid for it so they complain about working at BB because *gasp* it involves actual work.[/QUOTE]

You don't need to be intelligent to be a college student, and clearly you don't need to be intelligent to graduate high school with a 4.0 (I kid). In fact, the frat-clown type that usually works at Best Buy is exactly the problem--they know more about hair gel, cologne, and Abercrombie clothing than anything they're trying to help customers with.

I worked at best buy, was pretty fun for a while. I dont think itll be that hard to get a position even if its your first job...people are acting like its a much bigger job than working at a fast food place.

Ive never worked at Circuit City but choose best buy because the discount is pretty awesome and the pay is good too.

btw i always thought the basic retail job was a sales job. Then again i dont recall anyone doing any sort of sales at any walmart.

[quote name='defiance_17']You don't need to be intelligent to be a college student, and clearly you don't need to be intelligent to graduate high school with a 4.0 (I kid).[/QUOTE]

While that is true, you do have to be in order to graduate. Also, I am not a high school student (wish I still was though :D ). I will be graduating with a degree in general finance in May, but will probably stay for another semester and get a double major in economics.

I guess it all come down to work ethic, management, and the department a person works in. The store I work at people are held accountable and have to show great knowledge in the products they sell. We have to memorize model numbers of products and their specs (including what they actually mean). A couple weeks back a guy was let go because he failed to grasp/learn the technology.

I just think its demeaning to all of the people who work hard and really do care about doing their job well to make statements like the ones posted. But I guess I'm preaching to the choir here because the same thing goes for EB/GS employees, but most people here assume they are all slackers that know nothing about their jobs.

Well now it's time to decide whether I should work at CC or BB. Best Buy opens on May 4th and they've already hired many but I'm still 15. Circuit City is only halfway built and I'll probably be 16 when it or before it opens. And so should I be careful about using my discount if I do get hired? And do they usually put you in the department you're good at? (Video games)

[quote name='X-plicit']Well now it's time to decide whether I should work at CC or BB. Best Buy opens on May 4th and they've already hired many but I'm still 15. Circuit City is only halfway built and I'll probably be 16 when it or before it opens. And so should I be careful about using my discount if I do get hired? And do they usually put you in the department you're good at? (Video games)[/QUOTE]

It depends. With a new store they may hire certain people to fill certain departments they have interest in. When I worked at Best Buy a couple years ago they asked us what department we wanted to work in, some got what they wanted, others didn't. I got put into Digital Imaging (cameras & camcorders) not my first choice but whatever.

At least when I worked, they didn't care "too" much about you using the discount...However I'm pretty sure you had to work for at least 30 days to use it. Just don't go stupid with it, if you don't understand by me saying "don't go stupid with it" then you probably should be careful. I only ever bought 1 big ticket item and that was a receiver for my dad. Everything else was pretty small, and usually a videogame or DVD to get a couple bucks off. Overall, I'm pretty sure I didn't use it as much as I thought I would.

[quote name='defiance_17']You don't need to be intelligent to be a college student, and clearly you don't need to be intelligent to graduate high school with a 4.0 (I kid). In fact, the frat-clown type that usually works at Best Buy is exactly the problem--they know more about hair gel, cologne, and Abercrombie clothing than anything they're trying to help customers with.[/QUOTE]

While it may be true that you do not have to be intelligent to graduate from high school (sometimes they push you through if you are good at sports or just to get you through) once you get to college its another whole ball game. So yes this post is demeaning to those that actually stuck it out and made it through college.

You can be in college and be the frat boy type however you will not graduate unless you have some sort of work ethic and the drive to get a degree and graduate. You cannot just be there for the social experience, you have to be there for the whole package. If you are there solely for the social experience and to be in a frat, then you are there for all the wrong reasons, and eventually this will come to haunt you later on.

College forces you to take responsibility for yourself, and if you do not study and don't do the work then its no one's fault but your own if you fail, and with college costs nowadays its probably a good idea if you choose to go to college that you actually study because your professors will not be afraid to fail you like in high school. There is always a way to pass your classes in college, however you must be willing to take the time to attend class and do the work, there is help available if you don't understand things, but again you have to be willing to make the effort to get help with the work if you need it.

College is all about getting what you can out of the experience and if you take the time to learn and study you will get a lot out of it. If you are good at time management yes you will have time to do the stuff you enjoy and yes you will be able to socialize as well. I am not saying that while you are in college you have to do nothing but study, yes you can do other things, but getting your work done has to be priority over other things. Yes you can be in a frat and be able to get all your work done, you just have to be able to manage your time properly. I know A LOT of people who have dropped out of college, some did not finish in their last year for whatever reason but some people just don't have the drive and work ethic to finish.

If you can mindlessly mimic "Customer want a warranty?" much like a parrot would say "Polly want a cracker!" you are perfect for the job.

bread's done
Back