How precarious is the legal line between satire and defamation..

strayfoxx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
As a side project, myself and a friend are starting a satirical website run in the vein of The Onion. In terms of format it is admittedly derivative, yet the website will be more of a surrogate for a campus humor newspaper, similar to Penn State's Phroth. Its more of a platform to aid in my own comedy writing, and if I can perhaps garner enough attention, to occasionally help foster awareness of the town and universities (Morgantown and WVU's) rather questionable policies.

Now here is the question: I've noticed the Onion gets away with rather controversial satirical articles on celebrities, athletes, politicians, companies, etc. They seem to have legal refuge because of legal protections regarding parody. My question is how much is too much? For instance, if I take aim at the West Virginia Young Republicans, and insert words in a actual persons mouth (as The Onion as done in the past) is that defamation, or should I make up fake, but similarly named people and organizations? Also, where would photoshopped pictures of actual people fall in this mix? I realize I'm rather naive about this, and am asking rather complex and/or ignorant questions, but I'm consistently amazed with the advice that comes out of this forum and figured I'd start here...

Seems like you should be pretty okay. Something Awful does something like that as well, and I've never heard of any serious legal problems. At worst, they'd send you a cease and desist and you could just mock that (read the story about drugs on 27b/6!)

bread's done
Back