How rare is ICO?

bil4l

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I just found about 10 sealed copies of ICO at my local K-Mart yesterday for $8 each. I was wondering if I should pick up a few more and hold onto them? EBgames doesn't even have the game listed anymore and Gamestop only has used copies.

Do you guys think Ico will become rare/valuable? :D

Most likely any game sold at K-Mart that is clearanced at $8 with multiple copies on the shelf is not rare - nor will it ever be. That said, if you've never played it definitely pick up a copy for yourself - it's awesome!

It's not rare. i think at one point it was becoming slightly difficult to find in areas but then they did a re-release of the game. You should definitly pick one up for yourself though. Great game.

Why is it that everyone seems to think games are "rare" just because the great EBgames and Gamestop don't sell them anymore? That makes no sense.

The game is not rare. It did not sell well in the first place. It is a good game, and worth 8.00, but in no way is it rare.

Like everyone said, not rare, just not played. Which is a shame, because it's a work of art and deserves to be experienced by a much wider audience.

Old video games don't really become rare, they usually become obsolete. Gaming population is pretty small and hardcore gamers who like to collect are even fewer.

I had one of the "rarest" PS2 games - Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and decided to sell it while prices are still high. Although it's gameplay is addictive (+), I couldn't see anyone who would want to play it or collect it after newer systems come out. There are plenty of hardcore fans of Street Fighter series (unfortunately they probably have their own copies already), but overall Capcom's fighters are becoming stagnant and people are starting to forget about Street Fighter. Arcades are dying and the "new" Capcom fighters with graphics from the 90's don't bring in fans like they use to.

My 2 cents.

Oddly enough, my local Wal-Mart back in the day had copies of Earthbound that they kept clearancing. I think it got less than $20. They couldn't get rid of it. And that game is extremely collectable. However, I don't think Ico will join Earthbound....

I can't find any sealed copies of this game anywhere but I did find a used one at gamestop. Would have picked it up but it looked like it was in bad condition.

This whole rare thing has gotten a little overboard. If it's on CD, then most likely it is not all that rare. There are shortprints, but nowadays...everything can be rather easily had if it is on a CD or DVD.

[quote name='lurknomore']This whole rare thing has gotten a little overboard. If it's on CD, then most likely it is not all that rare. There are shortprints, but nowadays...everything can be rather easily had if it is on a CD or DVD.[/quote]

agree

I may not be rare, so to speak, but overlooked games like this sometimes are hard to find later in a consoles life cycle, and even more so into the next gen.

I'd recommend getting one for yourself and one extra to keep sealed. Worst case scenario you use it for a trade-in deal when the next gen consoles come out.

[quote name='soulwish2003'][quote name='lurknomore']This whole rare thing has gotten a little overboard. If it's on CD, then most likely it is not all that rare. There are shortprints, but nowadays...everything can be rather easily had if it is on a CD or DVD.[/quote]

agree[/quote]

I wouldn't exactly agree with that...
Saturn, 3DO and CDi defy that logic.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='soulwish2003'][quote name='lurknomore']This whole rare thing has gotten a little overboard. If it's on CD, then most likely it is not all that rare. There are shortprints, but nowadays...everything can be rather easily had if it is on a CD or DVD.[/quote]

agree[/quote]

Saturn, 3DO and CDi defy that logic.[/quote]

wasn't there a Neo Geo CD ?

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='soulwish2003'][quote name='lurknomore']This whole rare thing has gotten a little overboard. If it's on CD, then most likely it is not all that rare. There are shortprints, but nowadays...everything can be rather easily had if it is on a CD or DVD.[/quote]

agree[/quote]

I think that it was implied that we were solely talking about this current generation of games. Obviously, we aren't talking about media that was around prior to DVD media.

[quote name='lurknomore'][quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='soulwish2003'][quote name='lurknomore']This whole rare thing has gotten a little overboard. If it's on CD, then most likely it is not all that rare. There are shortprints, but nowadays...everything can be rather easily had if it is on a CD or DVD.[/quote]

agree[/quote]

I think that it was implied that we were solely talking about this current generation of games. Obviously, we aren't talking about media that was around prior to DVD media.[/quote]

I don't think that was a safe assumption. People were discussing PS1 games, and even SNES games throughout the course of the thread.
Yes, in general, the discussion was focused on the current generation, but it wasn't obvious, or even clear, that that was the scope of the conversation..other posters went beyond that scope, making anyone's post following that well within the scope of the discussion.

bread's done
Back