How religious are you?

[quote name='zionoverfire']Athiest but damn me if I don't love goodie goodie christian girl tail.[/quote]

Is your girlfriend a BAC - Born Again Christian? :)

Mine is and she used to try and convert me at first, but she gave up on that a long while back :p

[quote name='"pumbaa"']I'm sorta religious. I feel that it an important part of my life and that its formed who I am and how I make my deiscions to some extent. It never seemed to me like it was possible that the complexities of reality were all just some big cosmic mistake. In many ways I feel like it takes more faith to believe it was a conicidence. As far as people who don't like organized religion, I understand that completely. Some churchs, temples, and religions out there are pretty shaq-fued up. Sorry bout that, I promise not all religious people are like that. Yeah, end rant I suppose. Just kinda typing thoughts as they come. Feel free to flame...[/quote]

I am Catholic as well, but as with Pumbaa I would say that I am more "sorta religious" than a diehard devout follower now. I don't go to mass as often as I should (sometimes I am better than others), and have become a bit cynical due to some of the other things which are going on in my life at the moment.

I definately agree that life was not some "big cosmic mistake." The probablity of this is next to zero. I am a scientist and buy into evolution theory to some extent, however I can't believe that the first life form came about because the correct molecules just happened to be available and react by chance. Trying to make an organic compound of a significant complexity is usually not a trivial undertaking.

I have mixed feelings about the church. It is hard to see people going to mass every week and you know that they are going home and screwing their live in partner, for example. (The Catholic church teaches people not to have sex until they are married, and that sex is to be used for the creation of new life. Birth control is also not to be used if you strictly follow their teachings, and even a condom could be considered birth control since it prevents fertilization. That is why there used to be so many huge Catholic families.) It was hard to go to Catholic schools when I was growing up and be treated like I was worthless because my parents didn't have the money that some of the other families did. People can be hippocrites, to say the least. Sometimes it felt like people that I knew were only there to "put on a show" and "politic" since their colleagues and friends were there.

Again, argue away if you feel the need. Maybe you can help me get over some of my cynacism.

[quote name='daria19']I definately agree that life was not some "big cosmic mistake." The probablity of this is next to zero. I am a scientist and buy into evolution theory to some extent, however I can't believe that the first life form came about because the correct molecules just happened to be available and react by chance. Trying to make an organic compound of a significant complexity is usually not a trivial undertaking.[/quote]

So, as a scientist, you feel that "magical man in the sky made the earth as we know it in 6 days" is more probable than "chemicals slammed into each other for millions and millions of years and combined into higher forms as time went by?"

I go to church every weekend, but I tend to miss holy days of obligation. I would assume that I am very religious.

I am very religious. My religion is Hinduism. I try to go to my temple around 2 times a month. I am Brahmin, so I do my sandhyavandanam (it’s a type of prayer thing) twice a day.

I would consider myself spiritual more then religous. I feel religion is more of a cultrual thing nowadays.

I think believing in fate (if everything is predetermined) should have a factor in you faith.

I don't believe in fate.... and that in turns doesn't make me religous. Cuz when I think of it... the only reason I have a religion is where i grew up with, who my parents are..culture etc. If i was born somewhere else,,, my religion would be totally different.. so i look at it as a matter of chance. Just think most people are what their parents bring them up as. (not everybody... but many)

I just take the message of religion.. and all major faiths say the same thing... just be a good person... and i go with that.

Born catholic but I dont believe any of the stuff related to jesus or any superpowers. It is funny how all these miracles about turning water into wine, parting the Red Sea, Talking burning bushes, healing of criples, resurrection, etc. happened in a time where there were no Camcorders or cameras to record such events. All religions were created to promote some kind of order (thru fear or guilt) and to help explain our origins and purpose in life. My son goes to Sunday school in order to keep my relatives happy.

I think it's sad that you don't support something you believe in. You realize that because of your efforts to create stability in your family instead of taking your son down the path you feel is right might cause him to be brainwashed? Of course everyone is different, and to each their own, but I would take a stand, and tell my family how I felt (that wouldn't be hard cuz my mother agrees with me) and I would raise my son the way I see fit.

I'm sorta religious. I feel that it an important part of my life and that its formed who I am and how I make my deiscions to some extent. I am Christian, but I definitly try to study other religions and traditions and try to form a more universal concept of a higher power. For me, I;m Catholic because I was born Catholic. I feel like my religion is my religion because it fits me. If Bhuddism fits you, then by all means... I think we're trying to get to the same goal. Atheism... thats a concept that I'm not sure I'll ever be fully comfortable with. It never seemed to me like it was possible that the complexities of reality were all just some big cosmic mistake. In many ways I feel like it takes more faith to believe it was a conicidence. As far as people who don't like organized religion, I understand that completely. Some churchs, temples, and religions out there are pretty shaq-fued up. Sorry bout that, I promise not all religious people are like that. Yeah, end rant I suppose. Just kinda typing thoughts as they come. Feel free to flame...

Yaknow, they say God works in mysterious ways... Basically that is the excuse for the sheer complexity of the universe. Although I agree with you, it's very difficult to assume the universe is a cause of chemical reaction. But aren't you giving yourself quite a burden? I mean, you're just one dude.. and you're trying to explain the universe? You have no right. The universe existed LONGGGG before humanity. So... logically, we can never know about the creation of the universe, we can guess (god, big bang) but all those guesses are pointless, it's just above us... or... I suppose "Before us" is a more proper term. The only way we can know how a universe is created is by simulating or possibly creating a new universe.

So, as a scientist, you feel that "magical man in the sky made the earth as we know it in 6 days" is more probable than "chemicals slammed into each other for millions and millions of years and combined into higher forms as time went by?"[/quote]

Stated like that, neither one sounds very likely. But somehow we are here.

I am slightly religous, as in I believe, but don't practice any specific.

But to each his own. I respect most people's belief's. Not too big on Catholicism(sp?), but yeah once again, I keep my mouth shut so I am not shunned by my fiances entire family.

[quote name='pumbaa']...If Bhuddism fits you, then by all means... I think we're trying to get to the same goal...[/quote]

I think your intentions are good, but I would be careful when comparing religions.

Buddhism's essential message is that earthly life is impermanent and full of suffering. The cycle of birth, death, and rebirth can be ended through enlightenment, which is achieved through Buddhist faith and practice

The Catholic church, while recognizing the suffering on this earth (as told in the "Passion of the Christ" and many other stories of saints and martyrs) has the ultimate goal of salvation through faith lived out through good works. Enlightenment while alive on this Earth is not a major goal of the Catholic Church, instead they teach that by having faith in God and Christ, and performing good works (aka good karma) in this world, you will be granted salvation in the next world.

I'm sure that there are many other differences in the goals of these two religions, I just wanted to give one example.

I was raised Catholic but the last several months I have been attending a Christian church with the family every Sunday. I agree with a lot of the stuff they talk about but not everything. I just try to raise my family with good morals and values.

to all you Athiests... were you born that? were your parents that?

Its nice to see that atleast some people here have some religion...

[quote name='daria19']I definately agree that life was not some "big cosmic mistake." The probablity of this is next to zero. I am a scientist and buy into evolution theory to some extent, however I can't believe that the first life form came about because the correct molecules just happened to be available and react by chance. Trying to make an organic compound of a significant complexity is usually not a trivial undertaking.[/quote]

Scientists have performed rudimentary studies where they showed that in the conditions that prevailed during the early stages of life, it is in fact possible for organic precursors to form something more complex. In my mind, it's much more realistic that this happenend a few hundred more times, than it is that some all-powerful being created it all.

As for the individual who said it's pointless to guess about the big bang. While I'll admit that what is being done is guessing (seeing as how this happened billions of years ago...but then again, isn't all science just guessing), a great deal of research has, in fact, gone into scientifically exploring and providing evidence for the big bang.

Let me share a story with you about the levels to which the Catholic Church goes to protect the idea that everything was God's will. I went to a private Catholic High School were, naturally, every semester we needed to take a Theology class. So one day we got on the topic of evolution and how it can co-exist with the Bible's teachings. The teacher (a priest), was pressed about how humans (who were supposedly created by God) were evolved from more primitive primates... do you want to know what his response was, "That it was God's will that humans evolve from apes."

I'm all for the good morals and camraderie one can find as a member of the church, but religion and God have little, if any, place lying side by side with science. The writers of the Bible were human. The writers of the Koran were human. The writers of the Talbut were human. Religion is a man-made entity and humans were the ones who created the that idea of an all-powerful sentience(s) formed and governs the universe. I just don't buy it. If the teachings allow you to be a happier man or woman, then that's fantastic, but it was science that created this universe, and if you wish to call that science under the name of "God", remember, it's still just science.

[quote name='help1']to all you Athiests... were you born that? were your parents that?

Its nice to see that atleast some people here have some religion...[/quote]

My mother is devoutly Catholic. My father was Jewish for much of his life, but life has made him a bit of a cynic about these things.

I guess I became an athiest partly as a result of my dad's influence, but more so, just by taking science classes and reading books that left me unable to believe in what amounts to a glamorous imaginary friend.

I am very religious. I have actually had an out of body experience where I was clinically dead from a lethal drug overdose

As i write this, I'm am listening to A Perfect Circles: Judith, if that gives you some idea of how much I believe.

I swear to your god that this topic is pointless.

Why is it accepted for some athesist to complain that followers of organized religion are short-sighted, prejudical and tyranical, yet exhibit those exact same traits in thier own words and actions?

This is a definite minority, just like religious fundamentalists and radicals, yet, just like the aformentioned group, they seem to be the loudest as well.

[quote name='Spawn Of Hell']As i write this, I'm am listening to A Perfect Circles: Judith, if that gives you some idea of how much I believe.

I swear to your god that this topic is pointless.[/quote]

Actually it has a point, but its sucks... I dunno how this topic got over 70 posts.... the point is that we are seeing how religious CAGS are...

[quote name='help1']to all you Athiests... were you born that? were your parents that?

Its nice to see that atleast some people here have some religion...[/quote]

I think I've always been an atheist, but I was 12 when I first said it out loud.

My mom's Catholic, my dad ... I don't really know. He's never talked about it so I'm not sure if he believes or not.

[quote name='camoor'][quote name='pumbaa']...If Bhuddism fits you, then by all means... I think we're trying to get to the same goal...[/quote]

I think your intentions are good, but I would be careful when comparing religions.

Buddhism's essential message is that earthly life is impermanent and full of suffering. The cycle of birth, death, and rebirth can be ended through enlightenment, which is achieved through Buddhist faith and practice

The Catholic church, while recognizing the suffering on this earth (as told in the "Passion of the Christ" and many other stories of saints and martyrs) has the ultimate goal of salvation through faith lived out through good works. Enlightenment while alive on this Earth is not a major goal of the Catholic Church, instead they teach that by having faith in God and Christ, and performing good works (aka good karma) in this world, you will be granted salvation in the next world.

I'm sure that there are many other differences in the goals of these two religions, I just wanted to give one example.[/quote]

I don't mean "the same goal" in that sense. It seems that almost all religions have 2 core goals. Achieving a finality with a higher being (thus achieving peace) and also being the "best person" you can be on earth. What a "good person" is may differ a bit from religion to religion... but its still a goal. Thats what I meant.

to all you Athiests... were you born that? were your parents that?

Its nice to see that atleast some people here have some religion...

I was raised Jewish.. but eventually I thought about the things that my parents and rabbi told me.. Needless to say I rejected it.

As for the individual who said it's pointless to guess about the big bang. While I'll admit that what is being done is guessing (seeing as how this happened billions of years ago...but then again, isn't all science just guessing), a great deal of research has, in fact, gone into scientifically exploring and providing evidence for the big bang.

Look dude I agree with you. Science is in essence: observe, create theory, test theory. And obviously the beginning of time/universe whatever you wanna call it is more than worthy of exploration. But the difference is, scientific theories like theorities of physics (gravity, etc) can be tested. The theory of relativitiy can be applied to a situation and event. But how can theories of existance such as the big bang theory be tested? How can that theory become law? Maybe one day we can test it... but really I'm too short sighted to see that happening.

[quote name='bfg9k']The Force is just a believable as any other religion if you ask me ;)[/quote]

Funny you should mention that. On the last national census, when asked what religion they were, 8% of the people who chose "Other" filled in the blank as "Jedi."

Whether they were joking or if they're some very obsessed Star Wars fans is unknown. :wink:

[quote name='Maverick CRV'][quote name='bfg9k']The Force is just a believable as any other religion if you ask me ;)[/quote]

Funny you should mention that. On the last national census, when asked what religion they were, 8% of the people who chose "Other" filled in the blank as "Jedi."

Whether they were joking or if they're some very obsessed Star Wars fans is unknown. :wink:[/quote]

The force is actually based on the Hermetic philosophy that all is mind (with alot of Jungian psychology thrown in for good measure).

So the underpinnings of it's philosophy was actually born a long time ago, I guess the galaxy part depends on who you believe. :wink:

Well, I believe that there is a god. And I believe in the teachings of the bible when looked at as a set of moral guidelines. But I don't believe in the bible as anything more than that.

Edit- I also believe in a clockmaker god. I believe that there is some supreme being that created the universe. But humans being the chosen ones I doubt. I also don't believe in an ever present god watching over us and controlling our lives in mysterious ways.

Edit 2- One must also remember most of the people on this board are mid-teenagers, and you have to remember that most teenagers think it is cool to be an atheist.

I'm a very logical and analytical person, so I'm on the brink of totally giving up on religion. Right now, I'm pretty unsure, and I do insult how funny the faith system is. I definitely have my doubts and have done some pretty stupid things against God on purpose. I probably just need someone to talk to about my doubts that would know a lot about religion. IDK, it's just such a confusing subject, my opinion changes a lot.

I would consider myself very religious, as I am a Christian, but there are people that make me look ignorant and almost non-religious. There is a big difference in being a Christian and being religious though, but maybe we shouldn't get into any discussions about that here.

I'm a born-again Christian, but I know I've back slidden a bit.

Truth be told, I'm just very lazy and immature, and I know I will regret it if I don't get my life back on track soon.

I have seen what God has done in my life, and without him, I'd be a complete mess.

When I was younger, I'd question whether God existed or not, but I still read the Bible quite a bit. Once I got saved, which was when I was 15, I knew there was a God and that Jesus was the answer.

I know the life I should lead and how I should go about it, but there always seems to be something in my life keeping me from getting on the right track or staying on it like I should.

[quote name='pumbaa'][quote name='camoor'][quote name='pumbaa']...If Bhuddism fits you, then by all means... I think we're trying to get to the same goal...[/quote]

I'm sure that there are many other differences in the goals of these two religions, I just wanted to give one example.[/quote]

I don't mean "the same goal" in that sense. It seems that almost all religions have 2 core goals. Achieving a finality with a higher being (thus achieving peace) and also being the "best person" you can be on earth. What a "good person" is may differ a bit from religion to religion... but its still a goal. Thats what I meant.[/quote]

However Buddhism doesn't have the goal of "Achieving a finality with a higher being". It has the "goal" of Nirvana, which can be described as "the enlightened condition of utter detachment, in the sense that all desires - the source of suffering and delusion - have been extinguished. May be loosely equated, therefore, with an absolute state (or perhaps more accurately, a non-state) of emptiness" That's very different from the typical Christian depiction of heaven.

[quote name='camoor'][quote name='pumbaa'][quote name='camoor'][quote name='pumbaa']...If Bhuddism fits you, then by all means... I think we're trying to get to the same goal...[/quote]

I don't mean "the same goal" in that sense. It seems that almost all religions have 2 core goals. Achieving a finality with a higher being (thus achieving peace) and also being the "best person" you can be on earth. What a "good person" is may differ a bit from religion to religion... but its still a goal. Thats what I meant.[/quote]

However Buddhism doesn't have the goal of "Achieving a finality with a higher being". It has the "goal" of Nirvana, which can be described as "the enlightened condition of utter detachment, in the sense that all desires - the source of suffering and delusion - have been extinguished. May be loosely equated, therefore, with an absolute state (or perhaps more accurately, a non-state) of emptiness" That's very different from the typical Christian depiction of heaven.[/quote]

You got me with the finality with a higher being. Perhaps that should be reworded to "finality beyond human understanding". I suppose that would just mean infinity, but it seems like it fits better.

[quote name='Tromack']Well, I believe that there is a god. And I believe in the teachings of the bible when looked at as a set of moral guidelines. But I don't believe in the bible as anything more than that.

Edit- I also believe in a clockmaker god. I believe that there is some supreme being that created the universe. But humans being the chosen ones I doubt. I also don't believe in an ever present god watching over us and controlling our lives in mysterious ways.

Edit 2- One must also remember most of the people on this board are mid-teenagers, and you have to remember that most teenagers think it is cool to be an atheist.[/quote]

Intresting last comment. Most of the atheist I've met have been between the ages of 16-21. Although, Atheism seems like it has a strong base in rebellion, so I guess the teenager thing makes sense.

[quote name='pumbaa'][quote name='Tromack']Well, I believe that there is a god. And I believe in the teachings of the bible when looked at as a set of moral guidelines. But I don't believe in the bible as anything more than that.

Edit 2- One must also remember most of the people on this board are mid-teenagers, and you have to remember that most teenagers think it is cool to be an atheist.[/quote]

Intresting last comment. Most of the atheist I've met have been between the ages of 16-21. Although, Atheism seems like it has a strong base in rebellion, so I guess the teenager thing makes sense.[/quote]

Yeah, atheism is sort of the teen boy's wicca..

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']I'm a born-again Christian, but I know I've back slidden a bit.

Truth be told, I'm just very lazy and immature, and I know I will regret it if I don't get my life back on track soon.

I have seen what God has done in my life, and without him, I'd be a complete mess.

When I was younger, I'd question whether God existed or not, but I still read the Bible quite a bit. Once I got saved, which was when I was 15, I knew there was a God and that Jesus was the answer.

I know the life I should lead and how I should go about it, but there always seems to be something in my life keeping me from getting on the right track or staying on it like I should.[/quote]

Rock on brother.

Hope this helps you out.

I'm not religious at all.

However, I do see the practical side of religion and appreciate that it's there. I see the Bible as a compilation of stories that should help serve as a guide on how to act. However, I can't see myself taking these stories literally.

I don't feel that I need religion in my life, as I am happy and comfortable. If I need guidance, I'll look towards religion as my guide...

I am anogstic. I don't have a problem with religious people. But I do have a problem with judgmental people - people who believe THEIR way is the only way to believe. I believe religious stories were created to scare people in to doing the right things and MOST people are brainwashed in some way (most likely by their family). Most people feel they need to know all of the answers to sleep comfortably. If that is what helps you through the night, then more power to you.

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='pumbaa'][quote name='Tromack']Well, I believe that there is a god. And I believe in the teachings of the bible when looked at as a set of moral guidelines. But I don't believe in the bible as anything more than that.

Intresting last comment. Most of the atheist I've met have been between the ages of 16-21. Although, Atheism seems like it has a strong base in rebellion, so I guess the teenager thing makes sense.[/quote]

Yeah, atheism is sort of the teen boy's wicca..[/quote]

And religion is the weak man's crutch.

It's pretty conceited that in the expanse of the universe, god gives a crap about you. If there were a god and he created the splendorous mind of man, his heart aches from the knowledge that his creation cowers like a child afraid of his own existence, clings to a belief in the return to nothingness as ideal, and shuns his own life as unworthy, repeatedly begging for forgiveness.

It's not rebellion, it reason.

[quote name='Isles Guru']I am anogstic. I don't have a problem with religious people. But I do have a problem with judgmental people - people who believe THEIR way is the only way to believe. I believe religious stories were created to scare people in to doing the right things and MOST people are brainwashed in some way (most likely by their family). Most people feel they need to know all of the answers to sleep comfortably. If that is what helps you through the night, then more power to you.[/quote]

Yes, religion is Santa Claus for older people.

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='pumbaa'][quote name='Tromack']Well, I believe that there is a god. And I believe in the teachings of the bible when looked at as a set of moral guidelines. But I don't believe in the bible as anything more than that.

:rofl:

I strongly disagree with you, but that's damn funny.

I do believe there is some force so to speak (like in Star Wars) that binds the universe together but I am not in the majority that belives there is a man with a cape and magic wand controlling my destiny.

[quote name='bmulligan'][quote name='jmcc'][quote name='pumbaa'][quote name='Tromack']Well, I believe that there is a god. And I believe in the teachings of the bible when looked at as a set of moral guidelines. But I don't believe in the bible as anything more than that.

It's pretty conceited that in the expanse of the universe, god gives a crap about you. If there were a god and he created the splendorous mind of man, his heart aches from the knowledge that his creation cowers like a child afraid of his own existence, clings to a belief in the return to nothingness as ideal, and shuns his own life as unworthy, repeatedly begging for forgiveness.

It's not rebellion, it reason.[/quote]

A call for reason from an unreasonable man. Nice.

"Organized religion is a sham and a crutch for weak-minded people who need strength in numbers."

-- Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

[quote name='rockhero']"Organized religion is a sham and a crutch for weak-minded people who need strength in numbers."

-- Jesse 'The Body' Ventura[/quote]
:lol:
There actually is some truth to that for some religions.

[quote name='bmulligan'][quote name='jmcc'][quote name='pumbaa'][quote name='Tromack']Well, I believe that there is a god. And I believe in the teachings of the bible when looked at as a set of moral guidelines. But I don't believe in the bible as anything more than that.

Assuming she's still alive, your mother is wringing her hands in distress. Mission accomplished.

[quote name='jmcc'][quote name='bmulligan'][quote name='jmcc'][quote name='pumbaa'][quote name='Tromack']Well, I believe that there is a god. And I believe in the teachings of the bible when looked at as a set of moral guidelines. But I don't believe in the bible as anything more than that.

Assuming she's still alive, your mother is wringing her hands in distress. Mission accomplished.[/quote]

wtf?

bread's done
Back