How serious is a copyright infringement email from you ISP?

erehwon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
My mom just showed me an email from comcast about copyright infringement. It said that someone here had downloaded Bioshock 2 off of Bit torrent. I didn't do it since I haven't even installed a bit torrent client on this new computer. I have the Bioshock 2 CE version sitting in my room, which is likely getting returned due to cost and not enough interest.

I'm thinking:

1. My brother downloaded it.
2. Someone broke into our wireless network and downloaded it.
3. Wrong IP address was reported

The only stuff I ever download is game soundtracks, since they don't usually get released over here. I'm wondering if this is a serious issue?

Not really. They send an email saying to delete the copyrighted file(s) and dont do it again.

What is weird about that is Comcast sent me one of those emails a few years back and said I downloaded some MS Flight Simulation which I nor anyone else would even want to download. At the time we didnt have wireless so doubtful that someone else was using my connection.

I wouldnt worry about it though.

Is it serious? Yes. Are you looking at jail time and a fine? Not unless you keep violating copyright.

1. It doesn't matter who downloaded it if it occurred behind your modem.
2. See 1.
3. The copyright owner reported an IP address. Comcast and other ISPs keep track of who leases what IP address and when. The companies employ people just to track and verify this information so the wrong party isn't blocked.

Here's what you do: secure your router and kick anybody off who shouldn't be there.
If you get dinged again, either you, your brother or another authorized party have the file on their computer. Find it, remove it and you'll stop getting dinged.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']Is it serious? Yes. Are you looking at jail time and a fine? Not unless you keep violating copyright.
[/QUOTE]

If you are worrying about jail time or a fine dont. Unless some new bill is passed in the future (not likely) you do not have to worry about this with regards to the email from Comcast. The worst thing that could happen if you continue to download copyrighted material is Comcast will close your account. Comcast will not press charges against you for these actions, they are not the RIAA or the MPAA.

So again, I wouldnt worry about this unless you continue receiving them. I would check to make sure your connection is secure and all that but dont get too excited over it.

[quote name='musha666']If you are worrying about jail time or a fine dont. Unless some new bill is passed in the future (not likely) you do not have to worry about this with regards to the email from Comcast. The worst thing that could happen if you continue to download copyrighted material is Comcast will close your account. Comcast will not press charges against you for these actions, they are not the RIAA or the MPAA.

So again, I wouldnt worry about this unless you continue receiving them. I would check to make sure your connection is secure and all that but dont get too excited over it.[/QUOTE]

Comcast will most likely cancel the account permanently after the fourth time. The copyright owner, however, can press Comcast for your personal information. The copyright owner usually won't ask for the personal information, but it isn't guaranteed.

Our wireless router is secured using WPA. I know WEP can be cracked, but I'm not sure about WPA. I checked the router's log, but it doesn't go back to the 23rd, which is when the email said this happened. So, those aren't any help.

I just wonder if we should send a response to comcast asking for more information? I'm not sure if this is the first notice we've received, but it is the first that I can remember, and we've had comcast for at least 10 years.

Comcast doesn't care about anyone who might be bogarting your connection. All they know is that their IP lease table has you as having the IP address in question when the issue happened. They'll be going after you, if there's any follow-up issues with it.

Downloading of copyrighted materials like this is an out they have to dump you from their service and not give you service in the future. Unless they get a subopena from a law enforcement agency for your information, don't expect anything more than Comcast possibly dumping you from their service to happen. If the copyright holder decides to take legal action, then anything could happen.

It's not usually "I downloaded one game and that's it" people that end up getting arrested/hauled into court, it's the chronic ones that repeatedly do it, or they try to resell the copyrighted material they download. I'd make sure the file(s) are gone from any and all PC's on your network, without question.

[quote name='erehwon']Our wireless router is secured using WPA. I know WEP can be cracked, but I'm not sure about WPA. I checked the router's log, but it doesn't go back to the 23rd, which is when the email said this happened. So, those aren't any help.

I just wonder if we should send a response to comcast asking for more information? I'm not sure if this is the first notice we've received, but it is the first that I can remember, and we've had comcast for at least 10 years.[/QUOTE]

When somebody gets dinged for copyright infringement by our company, we usually turn off their connection and force them to call us.

I know they're trying to automate the process, but that strikes me as the wrong direction to go.

If you still have access to the Internet, is the email possibly a phishing attempt?

[quote name='klwillis45']You might wanna try MAC filtering just to be safe.[/QUOTE]

MAC filtering works unless the person on the other side knows the MAC address of a connected computer or until the owner of the router upgrades hardware for a connected computer.

It is a good step, but it isn't foolproof.

Lol really? I've never received an email from Comcast. Besides, I've never even heard of comcast sending C&D letters via email, they always send it through snailmail.

My tip: don't use public trackers. EVER.

About 8 years ago, Cox Communications (Wichita, KS) sent me a nice letter saying that my IP was tracked downloading "MTS3K: The Movie." I found it hilarious since I didn't subscribe to Cox Internet or TV. I went to their office and asked them if they just pull random accounts and send them letters regarding this. The secretary (or CSR) just snatched the letter from my hand, shredded it, and gave me a free month of HBO (eventhough I don't have Cox as my cable provider).

Comcast definitely has sent S&D letters before. As others said, secure your router, put passwords on it, use MAC filtering.

Regarding Comcast taking actions.. I've heard that the first time is a warning, the second time they limit your account speed wise, and the third time they kick you off their service for a full year. Dunno if that's true or not, though.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']MAC filtering works unless the person on the other side knows the MAC address of a connected computer or until the owner of the router upgrades hardware for a connected computer.

It is a good step, but it isn't foolproof.[/QUOTE]If WPA and MAC filtering don't stop someone from slipping onto your network, you have a very determined individual. That should take care of 99.9% of the casual idiots out there from trying to get on to your network.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']You can always call and find out. The notes SHOULD be on your account.[/QUOTE]
I guess that's what we'll have to do. I know I didn't download it and I doubt my brother did, and my parents definitely didn't.

I got one of those letters from Cox once, saying I was accused of "downloading the game software 'Guitar Hero'". It freaked me out a little, but I also found it funny because the closest thing I had downloaded was a compiled soundtrack of all the songs from Guitar Hero, not the actual game. Anyway, I just made sure it wasn't accessible through BT anymore, and that was the end of it.

My friend downloaded a few movies before and they got a call from their ISP and they temporarily halted their internet for about a few days. The second time he was caught downloading they lost internet for about two weeks.. they're getting pretty serious about this stufff now.

[quote name='Scorch']Comcast definitely has sent S&D letters before. As others said, secure your router, put passwords on it, use MAC filtering.

Regarding Comcast taking actions.. I've heard that the first time is a warning, the second time they limit your account speed wise, and the third time they kick you off their service for a full year. Dunno if that's true or not, though.[/QUOTE]

There's a local setup here in my small town and surrounding areas called Mediacom. They are very similar to Comcast, as I dealt with them in college (well, Insight...until Comcast bought them).

I can speak for Mediacom; three strikes, and you're out. They send out those warnings via snail mail for first offenders, limit your bandwidth the second time, and completely close your account on the third. I've had a few people come to me and tell me their services were shut off. (I work in the IT department).

The one time they sent me a letter I was getting subbed Naruto off of Narutofan. Quit doing it for a while, but then I started using a proxy server addy for BitTorrent...haven't received a letter since.

It turns out it wasn't a security issue. My brother did download it. He said he wanted to demo it and there wasn't a demo available.

Eh I had my internet shutoff one morning because lionsgate said I downloaded a movie and reported it to my ISP.

I called the ISP and the guy was obviously reading me stuff off a checklist about how secure I have my computers and precations I can take in the future and they turned it right back on. He just said "oh yeah well make sure you password protect your router as someone may have jacked it blah blah blah have a nice day your internet will be back on in less than 5 minutes thank you".

Its not a big deal really, its just protocol for them to send you a letter.

bread's done
Back