How should I get a PS3?

DrinkMonster2323

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Hey guys need your feedback here, my xbox is getting ready to give out on me, and I'm looking to switch over to PS3 mainly for The Show. Any way you guys could reccommend any deals for me, I don't want to spend more that 250, and want to spend as little as possible, I would appreciate the help, Thanks!

Somebody posted a deal that Gamestop has right now for a 160GB "Summer Bundle" model for $250. Seems like a good deal in my opinion; it comes with Gran Turismo 5 XL as well as a code for the Sly Cooper collection (three PS2 games ported to PS3 in HD), plus a 30-day trial of PS+.

Downside: the hard drive is a bit small, considering 320GB is the largest you can buy, and if you ever intend to get a PS+ subscription (I'd highly recommend it; just over $4/month gets you a very full library for as long as you hold that subscription). However, you can very easily upgrade that hard drive to 1 TB for about $100, so that's not a huge downside after all.

P.S.. you mentioned MLB The Show. Just to put hard drive capacities in perspective, The Show's full installation takes up about 10 GB.

-guess right now gamestop has the better deal
-if u get a ps3 i recommend getting a yr of psn+ there is 12 games u can download right now
-idk if u care but new model of ps3 should be coming soon and maybe price cuts?
-bb has the system for $250 u get $30gift card but no games

or wait till black friday

Thanks for the advice both of you, good points, I'm really looking to get it sooner mainly for the show, and then get assassin's creed and a few other games on it later down the line. I'd much rather pay the 4$ a month for the plus than the cost of Xbox Live for essentially nothing in return.

[quote name='DrinkMonster2323'] I'd much rather pay the 4$ a month for the plus than the cost of Xbox Live for essentially nothing in return.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. :applause:

One other tidbit of advice: many PS3 games you buy new on Amazon (including some that are only $20, like Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection) also include the codes for a 30-day free trial of PS+, so be sure to scout out those deals when you start looking around for your first game purchases, and you'll really get a lot of bang for your buck. I think they only are valid before you have purchased any paid subscription of PS+, but I'm not 100% sure on that, so plan ahead with that before you subscribe.

My ps3 went out recently, and am looking for a good deal as well. I suggest you wait until August 14th, Sony is holding a Playstation conference at gamescom. They will likely announce a new slimmer ps3 model, maybe even a price cut. So try to hold on if u can. Also I don't recommend the 160g model, mainly if ur getting ps+, installing the current 12 games for free is close to 75gb of space. Try togo with 320gb.

Just my thoughts

$249.99 160GB/1 controller plus $30 Gift Card @ Best Buy.

If you're going to get PS+, the 320GB should be meaningless. Well, if you don't mind re-downloading or adding games for downloading later, you should be fine.

I haven't, yet...but, when I get the courage(lol) to mess around in my PS3, I will upgrade to 1tb. I know people say it's easy and doesn't void the warranty. Blahhhhh, blah, BLAH.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you dont mind waiting til Assasins Creed 3 drops they have a pre order bundle at gamestop for $300 (oct 30th) Comes with AC3 and a 320GB ps3 system, i got mine pre ordered a while back, plus gives you a couple months to fully pay it off before its out

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mgorsi']My ps3 went out recently, and am looking for a good deal as well. I suggest you wait until August 14th, Sony is holding a Playstation conference at gamescom. They will likely announce a new slimmer ps3 model, maybe even a price cut. So try to hold on if u can. Also I don't recommend the 160g model, mainly if ur getting ps+, installing the current 12 games for free is close to 75gb of space. Try togo with 320gb.

Just my thoughts[/QUOTE]

If you purchase at Best Buy, you will have 30 days after your purchase of price drop protection. If the price drops right after Gamescom, that would only be a few weeks from now and you would have time to bring your receipt in to Best Buy and be refunded the difference from the price drop.

Just an added push for PS+, I never considered subscribing until recently. Free games are a major incentive. I am enjoying InFamous 2, a game that I've wanted to get to for a while, and I'm really excited to start playing Just Cause 2, a game that I was always interested in but it kept slipping on my purchase list. A critical part of PS+ that I didn't know right away is that you can buy games that have a PS+ discount and you get to keep them even if you don't resubscribe. Having said all that, I recommend it if you do end up getting your PS3 soon.

I personally don't expect an official MSRP price drop from Sony on the PS3 in August, but retailers will try to offer incentives to unload the older PS3 bundles once the ultra-slim model comes out. I would go with the GS summer bundle if u have some credit built up. It's a great deal...enjoy your summer now!

bread's done
Back