How should I insulate this pipe?

optimusprime8062

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Hello again,

You may remember me from such classic threads as "3 prong into 2 prong outlet." You guys were so good about answering the last question I figure you'll be able to answer this one as well.

I'm in an apartment building (Pre-War), the 5th floor, and a have a pipe about 5" in diameter running up through my room (floor to ceiling - about 12ft). The problem is that this pipe emits A LOT of heat, is dangerously warm to the touch, and keeps my room way too hot. I'm wondering if wrapping insulation foam around the pipe will keep the heat from seeping through?

Do you guys have any suggestions?

well, it cant hurt, for the price of insulation id say go for it...i'm reasonably sure that you will see some sort of difference, although it sounds like you can save some money on heating during the winter months (depending on where you are located)

You can find some insulation (water heater, pipe etc.) at the depot/lowes. Any insulation that is rated for heat will probably work. Finding a 5" diameter pipe insulation might prove to be tricky so you'll more than likely have to wrap it with insulation rather then finding a pre-fit one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a thick pipe or thin wall pipe? My only concern is if its so hot and its thin wall it could be the draft pipe off the boiler in the basement??????????
If you insulate that the insulation can catch fire and then you will have bigger problems.

[quote name='joey791']Is it a thick pipe or thin wall pipe? My only concern is if its so hot and its thin wall it could be the draft pipe off the boiler in the basement??????????
If you insulate that the insulation can catch fire and then you will have bigger problems.[/QUOTE]

:lol: The point of insulation is to use something like fiberglass (or asbestos) that WON'T catch fire.

Also, I've been insulating at work for about two years now. I can say that using pipe insulation is very easy (put on, pull tape, stick), but it's, unfortunately, expensive. This is what I'm talking about:
a20791a12912668486203f_m.png

You could also buy some thin wall insulation, which is slightly cheaper, and wrap that around it too. It doesn't look very good though, so if it's an open area, that's a negative. But, it will keep you from burning yourself.

But in my opinion, I would leave it. (Unless you do burn yourself on it often.) Think of all the money you save on heat. And if it get's too warm, crack a window.

The other option is to ask your landlord to insulate it for you. Chances are the maintenance can get a hold of the pipe insulation you need. And it's most likely the landlord's job to do that anyway.

Yeah this is probably something the landlord should handle, especially since somehow you could damage the pipe and put liability for damages on you. If you're liable to burn yourself on an exposed pipe, its some kind of hazard and I'd bet there's something under state or local law that says your landlord has to secure that pipe from burning you, whether its in the building code or in the laws that govern landlords.

Hm, yeah I might go the landlord route. Today it has been okay actually, for whatever reason it hasn't been very hot. I think it MIGHT be connected to the apartment above me. Meaning, its an old boiler, so maybe when they turn their heater on, the pipe gets hot.

In the meantime I'm just going to use a fan to keep myself cool. I prefer to keep the window closed, because when it's open it's a bit too noisy with all the ambiance outside (in NYC) and I'm afraid I'll catch a cold with the cold air blowing on me.

Thank all of you for your input

[quote name='Access_Denied']:lol: The point of insulation is to use something like fiberglass (or asbestos) that WON'T catch fire.

Also, I've been insulating at work for about two years now. I can say that using pipe insulation is very easy (put on, pull tape, stick), but it's, unfortunately, expensive. This is what I'm talking about:
a20791a12912668486203f_m.png

You could also buy some thin wall insulation, which is slightly cheaper, and wrap that around it too. It doesn't look very good though, so if it's an open area, that's a negative. But, it will keep you from burning yourself.

But in my opinion, I would leave it. (Unless you do burn yourself on it often.) Think of all the money you save on heat. And if it get's too warm, crack a window.

The other option is to ask your landlord to insulate it for you. Chances are the maintenance can get a hold of the pipe insulation you need. And it's most likely the landlord's job to do that anyway.[/QUOTE]

Uh yeah I've been doing commercial HVAC work for 17 years, insulate a flue pipe and see how well that goes.

BTW thats the older style chill water pipe insulation, currently the local insulators have went back to hard foarm.

OT: Why is the white stick man owning the black stick man?

RACIST!

"Excuse me, can you help me insulate this pipe?"
*zzzzzip*
"Oh my!"
"Don't burn yourself now, baby."
*bow chicka wow wow*

+1 on telling the landlord to insulate it for you.

Would suck during the summer but awesome in the winter! I remember my first apartment that was "temperature controlled" it had free baseboard steam heat and I couldn't control the temp. Lived top floor and I baked all winter, it would be snowing outside and I had my windows cracked. Baked all summer as well as the wall AC didn't cool the place worth a damn. lol

[quote name='strongpimphand']OT: Why is the white stick man owning the black stick man?

RACIST![/QUOTE]

Because the white stick man is a Jedi and the black stick man is a Sith

bread's done
Back