How should online Achievements/Trophies be handled once the server is taken down?

nbballard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I know a lot of gamers hate playing games with online achievements/trophies because of their dependency on the online community. Last week, I was reading an article about the online servers for some older sports games being turned off, and today EA announced they were taking 9 of their games offline.

If a game has online dependent trophies, people who are late to the game can never 100% the title. Does anyone have any thoughts about this practice?

Part of me thinks that when the game goes offline the achievements/trophies should be adjusted, but I know that no one would really spend time to make changes for a game that is clearly past it's prime.

By the time the servers are offline for most of these games the achievements/trophies are probably already unobtainable due to the lack of any online players.

[quote name='Malik112099']By the time the servers are offline for most of these games the achievements/trophies are probably already unobtainable due to the lack of any online players.[/QUOTE]

that's true, but "probably" and definitely are 2 different things. There are sites that do boosting, and I know some CAGs have game nights on older titles periodically.

The achievements should just be available while the online game is available. It's too bad achievements were ever conceived of to begin with (just a way to get more sales) as they ruin the gameplay experience for other players.

they should have dealt with achievements you can't get due to glitches first before worrying about games no longer or line. Or games that will take a ridicules amount of time to get (FFXI)

[quote name='Magus8472']The devs shouldn't create online-only achievements in the first place.[/QUOTE]

This

[quote name='KingBroly']Patch it to give the online achievements to everyone[/QUOTE]

It's not really an achievement then is it, I think once the server is down then that's it, you're SOL.

Actually I wouldn't agree with the whole "no online achievements". It feels pretty good winning 100 matches and getting an achievement because of it. If people get in the game too late, well that sucks. But for those that had it when it was popular it makes the achievement even nicer to have.

Granted, the whole achievement/trophie fiasco is so insane. People whoring trophies by playing easy games? Or getting mad because they don't get 100%? I'll never understand that. xD. If anything, I see achievements, especially the tougher ones as rewarding. But getting those "Complete chapter 1" kind of achievements.. Ehh... I know someone on PSN that every week plays a new game to boost himself to the "Trophy League" or some bs like that. Games such as Hannah Montana, and all these other kid games.

If losing out on some online achievements from 3 year old sports games is going to keep someone up at night then I think they have some serious OCD issues.

I don't have a problem with online achievements. If you miss out on something, too bad, that's life. There's always more games to play if you want more points.

If you haven't gotten an online achievement by the time a game is taken offline you probably would have never gone back to get it. But I kinda agree with what other people said about how achievements should only be attached to the single player part of a game. I bet there are more people out there than you think that don't even have their game systems hooked up to the internet, so those people are kinda screwed over from the start as far as online achievements.

[quote name='Alex Murphy']I bet there are more people out there than you think that don't even have their game systems hooked up to the internet, so those people are kinda screwed over from the start as far as online achievements.[/QUOTE]
If your console isn't online, other people can't see your gamerscore anyway.

Achievements are one of the greatest things about this console generation! Acquiring them is like its own really fun meta-game, and they let you compare your exploits to your friends'.

Unless you are playing crappy license games, kids games or games you otherwise would never play to boost your points

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Achievements are one of the greatest things about this console generation! Acquiring them is like its own really fun meta-game, and they let you compare your exploits to your friends'.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a "trophie whore", but I do appreciate achievements. It gives you a good sense of accomplishment outside of simply beating the game.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Achievements are one of the greatest things about this console generation! Acquiring them is like its own really fun meta-game, and they let you compare your exploits to your friends'.[/QUOTE]

Achievements can be very frustrating though, especially multiplayer ones. It's not exactly uncommon to find someone on your team more interested in going for an achievement than helping, and your team suffers as a result.

On topic, I always wished any multiplayer achievements had two ways to complete them - one being through multiplayer, the other taking just as long to get in single player (assuming no MP boosting).

You know, another good option might be to ensure that any online multiplayer achievements are also possible to get in split-screen or system link. I can understand why devs would want to avoid that though, as it would make boosting trivial.

[quote name='Magus8472']The devs shouldn't create online-only achievements in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Some online trophies are just tedious (kill 1000 enemies) and don't really mean much.

They should make trophy/achievements that are online not count toward the 100% marker but just be additional.

Kind of like how fallout 3 had a platinum trophy for completeting 100% of the games trophies on the ps3, then when the game of the year edition came out you could still earn your platinum without having to have done all the trophies for the expansions.

Like say a game has 50 trophies. 40 are single player and 10 are multiplayer. Should make it so you only need the 40 single player trophies to get your platinum trophy and get 100% completetion and the other 10 are just for extra, bronze/silver/gold trophies to be added to your overall amount of them.

Achievements/trophies are friggin' tedious in many cases(see: Auf Wiedersehen Petrovic trophy in GTA IV), plus I get enjoyment out of playing the games and I don't need to 'brag' about my e-peen for having less of a life than my online friends.:razz:

bread's done
Back