How the heck do I register my used copy of Half-life/Team Fortress?

facemeat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I bought a copy of the Half-Life "Best PC Game Ever" edition a couple of months ago and finally got around to installing it. Now, there's a problem: I bought this game used, and you need a verification code. I have the code, but it's already been registered. Any ideas as to what I should do?

You'll need to get the e-mail address/password from the previous owner and use it as your account. Either that or you'll have to contact Valve and pay them $10 to reset your key I believe.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I bought it from a game store, so there's basically no way that I can get the e-mail/password. :bomb:
If only Valve wouldn't be so over-protective...

I bought Half Life/Opposing Force/Team Fortress Classic from a thrift store last summer. I couldn't register them either, but since they were pre-Steam versions I can play Half Life. I haven't tried the other two yet. But since Team Fortress Classic is online multi-player, I doubt I can use it.

Basically fuck Valve and Steam. People wonder why PC game sales are declining, Steam is a wonderful example of why. Without being able to sell off older games people are less likely to buy new games. They will just spend more time on already purchased games.

[quote name='mogamer']I bought Half Life/Opposing Force/Team Fortress Classic from a thrift store last summer. I couldn't register them either, but since they were pre-Steam versions I can play Half Life. I haven't tried the other two yet. But since Team Fortress Classic is online multi-player, I doubt I can use it.

Basically fuck Valve and Steam. People wonder why PC game sales are declining, Steam is a wonderful example of why. Without being able to sell off older games people are less likely to buy new games. They will just spend more time on already purchased games.[/quote]

Blame the pirates. I have no problem with Steam, but I can see where you would like to buy/sell used games.

[quote name='Bretts31344']Blame the pirates. I have no problem with Steam, but I can see where you would like to buy/sell used games.[/quote]

There are other protection schemes available that other publishers use. If piracy is so common, why doesn't everyone force you to use Steam or something like it?

Developers don't like the used game market, they admit it all the time. Steam is just a way eliminate that market.

Steam is fantastic. I can't see not implementing such a great system just for the sake of 7 people who want to buy 10 year old games for $5 and have them work. If you want Half-Life 1 that badly I'm pretty sure you can buy it for like $9.95 without even having to leave your house:

http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=game&AppId=70&cc=US

...and you will get automatic patches to Steam games, a spot to view/launch all your games (even non-Steam ones) as well as a sweet overlay that allows you to view your friends, see what they are doing, join them if they are doing something joinable, message them, etc.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']Steam is fantastic. I can't see not implementing such a great system just for the sake of 7 people who want to buy 10 year old games for $5 and have them work. If you want Half-Life 1 that badly I'm pretty sure you can buy it for like $9.95 without even having to leave your house:

...and you will get automatic patches to Steam games, a spot to view/launch all your games (even non-Steam ones) as well as a sweet overlay that allows you to view your friends, see what they are doing, join them if they are doing something joinable, message them, etc.[/quote]

I admit that Steam is a great service. But it still doen't change the anti-consumer aspect of making it hard to play a used game. And it doesn't really matter how many people want to buy used games. They should still be able to play them. I can buy 30 year old console games for $1 and still play them.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']Steam is fantastic. I can't see not implementing such a great system just for the sake of 7 people who want to buy 10 year old games for $5 and have them work. If you want Half-Life 1 that badly I'm pretty sure you can buy it for like $9.95 without even having to leave your house:

...and you will get automatic patches to Steam games, a spot to view/launch all your games (even non-Steam ones) as well as a sweet overlay that allows you to view your friends, see what they are doing, join them if they are doing something joinable, message them, etc.[/quote]
I actually just want to play Team Fortress. I already have HL on the PS2, so there's really no need to play it. And yes, I realize that TF is also $9.95, but who wants to pay that kind of money for a dated game that is worth no more than $3? It's not a huge deal, but these are the kind of things that make me hate PC gaming. And how is this a great system? Entering a 30-digit code and having to get online to play offline games is a great system? Doesn't really sound like it to me. Maybe there are some good features about Steam, but I didn't see them.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']But having to sign online every time I want to play an offline game is ridiculous.[/quote]

Exactly! If I buy a single player game, I expect it to be able to go offline without having to sign on to steam. Very annoying, what happend to the offline mode that was originally setup?

bread's done
Back