How the HELL Do You Get System Link to Work with Gears of War???

dman1869

CAGiversary!
Feedback
85 (100%)
I cannot for the life of me get a system link to with 2 360s in the same house. I tried wireless at first and that was a no go. Then I tried a direct connection to each system with a CAT6 Patch Cable and neither one of us can find our local game. I don't believe the cable is a crossover if that makes a difference. The wireless setup I had was with a Linksys B-Game Adapter to a Netgear game adapter. I read the Linksys manual but I still couldn't get it to work. So I thought there would be no way we couldn't do a system link with a direct conncection. I guess I was wrong. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

[quote name='Mattte']You need a crossover cable if your going to do direct connections.[/QUOTE]

Oh, okay. I thought that might be the problem but I figured it was an ethernet cable and that would suffice. I'm still not familiar with crossover cables, IP addresses, MAC addresses, and all this new technology. It might not even be new, but I still don't know much about it.

What about a wireless connection between 2 game adapters, different brands though?

[quote name='zewone']You don't need a crossover. I think the problem is that you're using a CAT6 maybe? Try a CAT5E.[/quote]

For a direct connection between console console you need a crossover cable.

You can use the CAT6 cable and plug each 360 into the switch and it will work (you'll need two cables).

no i run lans with cat 6......ok your wireless router has wirred ports right? just run an ethernet cable from you r router to each console, then try, ive never had this not work....

no i run lans with cat 6......ok your wireless router has wirred ports right? just run an ethernet cable from you r router to each console, then try, ive never had this not work....

The difference between cat5e and cat6 is that cat5 will do gigabit with half duplex where as cat6 will do full duplex. It's shielding spec has been improved to allow for higher transfer rates and I'd assume lower ones over a longer distance. It's backward compatible and works just like cat5e.

the only thing i can think of as stated before by others is that you're not using a crossover cable

use that and you should be set

[quote name='hx214']^^^ ya you don't need a crossover cable, a normal one will work, something else is wrong[/QUOTE]

Well what is it? :wall: I thought if I just plug the ethernet cable into each system it would work. I don't have my router here but I could get it from my mom's house. I'll try the router thing and post if that works. I still don't get why a direct connection wouldn't work. Unless it's just the crossover thing. But some of you guys said you got system link to work without it so I don't know.

[quote name='radjago']So system link doesn't work over wireless? Or does it only work in infrastructure mode and not ad hoc?[/QUOTE]

It doesn't work with a direct connection with an ethernet CAT6 cable, or with 2 wireless game adapters. The netgear has a Ad hoc/Infra switch, but the Linksys doesn't. The Linksys has channels to select from.

[quote name='zewone']Can they both connect to Live? Maybe one of them has a busted ethernet port?[/QUOTE]
I have to concur. Wired system linking isn't rocket science. It's either your cable or one (or both) of your 360s. Cat 6/5e/5 or crossover cables should all work fine. If you're not connecting through a router, you may have to got into your network settings on your 360 and set your IPs manually.

[quote name='radjago']I have to concur. Wired system linking isn't rocket science. It's either your cable or one (or both) of your 360s. Cat 6/5e/5 or crossover cables should all work fine. If you're not connecting through a router, you may have to got into your network settings on your 360 and set your IPs manually.[/QUOTE]

How would I know which IPs to assign? Or what the numbers are exactly?

[quote name='dman1869']How would I know which IPs to assign? Or what the numbers are exactly?[/QUOTE]
Okay, I take that back. If things are working well, then it's not rocket science. If you have to troubleshoot the network settings, it could be a bit more involved.

That said, if all your settings are all default and your equipment is working properly, then it should just work.

If you use a cable between both devices you will have to assign IPs to the 360s. There is no dhcp server. If you use a router it will assign the ips for you.

[quote name='radjago']I have to concur. Wired system linking isn't rocket science. It's either your cable or one (or both) of your 360s. Cat 6/5e/5 or crossover cables should all work fine. If you're not connecting through a router, you may have to got into your network settings on your 360 and set your IPs manually.[/quote]
That would be my guess as well. Either that or a bad cable.

There is something else wrong. Once a month we have BYOX Tourneys at my house and we use all of those different types of connections. Wifi and Lan into the same router or direct connection to each 360. Check the cables man.

Now I have my router over here and it still won't connect. Do I have to switch my game adapter to Ad-Hoc or Infra since it's going to a router now? I tried both but neither worked.

[quote name='Indiana']Do both 360s have IP addresses?[/QUOTE]

I have it on automatic IP addresses, but I tried to set one of the 360s to the other IP address the other system has, but no go.

[quote name='dman1869']I have it on automatic IP addresses, but I tried to set one of the 360s to the other IP address the other system has, but no go.[/QUOTE]
Pfffff!

Sorry, but I just couldn't hold that one in.

Each 360 needs to have a unique IP address. Set one to something like 192.168.1.101 and the other to 192.168.1.102. Make sure they're using the same subnet mask, usually 255.255.255.0

Here is a pretty straightforward guide from the Xbox.com forums.

[quote name='radjago']Pfffff!

Sorry, but I just couldn't hold that one in.

Each 360 needs to have a unique IP address. Set one to something like 192.168.1.101 and the other to 192.168.1.102. Make sure they're using the same subnet mask, usually 255.255.255.0

Here is a pretty straightforward guide from the Xbox.com forums.[/QUOTE]

Alright, I'll give that a try and post my results. BTW, if both systems are going wireless to a router would I put the game adapter to Ad-Hoc or Infra? Or do I just use the Ad-Hoc mode when there is a direct connection to each system? Thanks for the help radjago and others. As you can tell I hardly know anything about this stuff. :lol:

Still NOTHING!!! :hot: I connected both systems to a router with cables and without. I still couldn't get anything. I set the IPs and the Sub Mask, then I did an automatic setting, nothing. :cry:

[quote name='zewone']You never answered me if they both can connect to Live.[/QUOTE]

Well only one of them has a Live account, but the other one when a Live test is run, it passes. So I guess the answer is yes. I don't know what the problem could be. I tried the suggestion radjago had by giving each system its own IP, changed everything manually described in the Xbox.com forums but still nothing. I think I've tried every possibility that there is. :(

bread's done
Back