How the PS3 Is Really Doing

Considering the casual base and mainstream approach, would niche titles and JRPG's really be at home on the Wii? Except for Nintendo's own Fire Emblem series and "Tales of" series, Gamecube did not get any strong RPG's. Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door was the only real contender and definitely the GC's best RPG. Baten Kaitos, Harvest Moon, those are all stretches. Quite honestly, the X-Men Legends series is the GC's second most legitimate attempt at an RPG.

I just don't see why developers would pick the Wii for these genre when the PS2 covers the gigantic 100 million PS2 install base, plus the growing PS3 base. You all have to remember, there was a moment in time where stories were going around, about moms and trendy, non gamer teenagers/20 somethings picking up Gamecubes for Animal Crossing addictions and Smash Brothers/Mario Party.

On the other hand, the only next gen DDR out is Universe on 360. With games like Viva Pinata, DOAX2, Guitar Hero, DDR, and the upcoming Blue Dragon, it seems that the 360 is an extremely likely candidate for uniquely Japanese games. The only "next gen" RPG's so far have happened on 360, even in Japan. Plus the one truly Japanese oddball title out in the next gen is only out on the 360: IDOLMASTER.

[quote name='sarausagi']Considering the casual base and mainstream approach, would niche titles and JRPG's really be at home on the Wii? Except for Nintendo's own Fire Emblem series and "Tales of" series, Gamecube did not get any strong RPG's. Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door was the only real contender and definitely the GC's best RPG. Baten Kaitos, Harvest Moon, those are all stretches. Quite honestly, the X-Men Legends series is the GC's second most legitimate attempt at an RPG.

I just don't see why developers would pick the Wii for these genre when the PS2 covers the gigantic 100 million PS2 install base, plus the growing PS3 base. You all have to remember, there was a moment in time where stories were going around, about moms and trendy, non gamer teenagers/20 somethings picking up Gamecubes for Animal Crossing addictions and Smash Brothers/Mario Party.[/quote]Tales of Symphonia sold better on the much smaller GameCube userbase than Abyss or Legendia on the PS2. The only worldwide million-seller in the series, in fact.

[quote name='sarausagi']On the other hand, the only next gen DDR out is Universe on 360. With games like Viva Pinata, DOAX2, Guitar Hero, DDR, and the upcoming Blue Dragon, it seems that the 360 is an extremely likely candidate for uniquely Japanese games. The only "next gen" RPG's so far have happened on 360, even in Japan. Plus the one truly Japanese oddball title out in the next gen is only out on the 360: IDOLMASTER.[/QUOTE]
Most Japanese developers aren't going to develop for a system that sells terribly in Japan. End of story. The only reason Blue Dragon got made was that Microsoft got behind it.

[quote name='botticus']Tales of Symphonia sold better on the much smaller GameCube userbase than Abyss or Legendia on the PS2. The only worldwide million-seller in the series, in fact.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, the PS2 suffered from too many RPGs. Since it's install base was 4X what everyone else had, developers/publishers were up against a wall: put out titles on systems with fewer games of similar genres (such as RPGs), or put out titles on the system with 4X as many users?

PS2 had Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Dot Hack, Xenosaga, Tales of the Whatever, the Nippon Ichi flavor of the month, Atlus' collectors' crap, and probably dozens more titles. Gamecube users were relegated with Tales of Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia, and perhaps 7 more individual titles at most.

Since nobody really expects the company who sells the most consoles this time around to have the massive advantage that Sony did, I likewise would argue that as a corollary the dynamics of putting out games on consoles will change. Some titles, as zerolens correctly pointed out, simply can't afford to put a game out on every console, so they'll focus on one. For the time being, I imagine we'll see some even distribution. Some companies think they'll have better chances on the Wii, others on the PS3, and yet others on the 360. It will be a regional dividing line separating the 360 from the PS3 and Wii, of course (Japanese developers catering to Japanese fans won't even consider the 360, and companies putting out titles like Bioshock probably think the 360 is the preferable console due to its concentration in the US and Europe (assuming, of course, that Bioshock stays on one console - which I think it will).

If there's anything for sure, it's that it's gonna be a fuckin' *mess* this gen. My only sticking point is that the Wii is going to die really fuckin' quickly if it continues to receive ports of older games with updated controls, which are sold at full retail price (for fuckin' real: I *know* RE4Wii sounds cool, but open your eyes, people).

[quote name='mykevermin']: I *know* RE4Wii sounds cool, but open your eyes, people).[/QUOTE]

I wish people did open their eyes. It's funny how something like Tomb Raider or Final Fantasy VII remake is so quickly looked down upon [IT'S JUST A GRAPHICS UPDATE!!!!" or THOSE GAMES ARE fuckING LAME] but you take a game that is already pretty much near perfect [RE4] and barely came out about two years ago, add some slapped on unresponsive Wii controls, and it's gold

Which is just as hypocritical, because when the PS2 version of RE4 came out, with different controls for the Dual Shock 2, additional side quests/modes, and widescreen/HD support, the Nintendo fanbase flamed it to no end and dismissed it as crap. I guess remakes and improvements are only good when they're for your own system? Right?

And that gets even worse, because these are the same people who want MGS, FF, DMC, and every single franchise to be on Wii and 360 and some even hope the PS3 doesn't get them at all, but if they all of a sudden saw NiGHTS or Crackdown on PS3, they'd be like "AWW! fuck no, why did they have to put it on PS3?!" and instantly dismiss anything good that comes of their PS3 port [besides the fact that if you sincerely LOVE a game and not a system, why wouldn't you want as many people as possible to experience it]

I'm not saying people shouldn't have their problems with the PS3..right now it's a console that only certain people need to have, there's nothing you NEED to play right now..but if blu-ray, web-browsing, and Virtua Fighter 5 make you happy, it's a good console to have..but why so much ill wishes? Nintendo fans got plenty of great games even with the PS2 and the Xbox around..but the way it is now..honestly seems lots of Wii60 lovers would live happily if our PS3s were shelved in a year.

[quote name='sarausagi']I wish people did open their eyes. It's funny how something like Tomb Raider or Final Fantasy VII remake is so quickly looked down upon [IT'S JUST A GRAPHICS UPDATE!!!!" or THOSE GAMES ARE fuckING LAME] but you take a game that is already pretty much near perfect [RE4] and barely came out about two years ago, add some slapped on unresponsive Wii controls, and it's gold

Which is just as hypocritical, because when the PS2 version of RE4 came out, with different controls for the Dual Shock 2, additional side quests/modes, and widescreen/HD support, the Nintendo fanbase flamed it to no end and dismissed it as crap. I guess remakes and improvements are only good when they're for your own system? Right?

And that gets even worse, because these are the same people who want MGS, FF, DMC, and every single franchise to be on Wii and 360 and some even hope the PS3 doesn't get them at all, but if they all of a sudden saw NiGHTS or Crackdown on PS3, they'd be like "AWW! fuck no, why did they have to put it on PS3?!" and instantly dismiss anything good that comes of their PS3 port [besides the fact that if you sincerely LOVE a game and not a system, why wouldn't you want as many people as possible to experience it]

I'm not saying people shouldn't have their problems with the PS3..right now it's a console that only certain people need to have, there's nothing you NEED to play right now..but if blu-ray, web-browsing, and Virtua Fighter 5 make you happy, it's a good console to have..but why so much ill wishes? Nintendo fans got plenty of great games even with the PS2 and the Xbox around..but the way it is now..honestly seems lots of Wii60 lovers would live happily if our PS3s were shelved in a year.[/quote]

I agree with you, however I think some people are worried that a remake of any game will not have as much investment and time put into it, will suck thus ruining the reputation of a game they love so much. And with Nintendo fans, it was one of the games for hte GC that was meant for a mature audiance and when it went to PS2 they no longer had that justification so I can understand their anger. However, I never played RE4 on PS2, and I am looking forward to playing RE4 for the Wii as long as Capcom isn't as bad at porting as Ubisoft is.

for those who havent seen it yet. I give you the ultimate ps3 ballin fanboy.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_19WR0CHz0[/media]

CHAD WARDEN!!!!

Why won't the niche titles just stay on PS2? PS3 users can still play them but there won't be the huge development costs. Don't forget that alot of great PS1 RPGs came out after the PS2 released. 100 million people aren't just gonna throw out their PS2s right away. Atlus, Nippon Ichi, and the rest of the RPG makers have at least two years to figure what the hell to do. At least by then, the race will be a little clearer.

Good video nice to see someone working on putting some real PS3 facts out there, LBP is looking sick cant wait for that badboy.

[quote name='sarausagi']I wish people did open their eyes. It's funny how something like Tomb Raider or Final Fantasy VII remake is so quickly looked down upon [IT'S JUST A GRAPHICS UPDATE!!!!" or THOSE GAMES ARE fuckING LAME] but you take a game that is already pretty much near perfect [RE4] and ``widescreen/HD support, the Nintendo fanbase flamed it to no end and dismissed it as crap. I guess remakes and improvements are only good when they're for your own system? Right?

I'm not saying people shouldn't have their problems with the PS3..right now it's a console that only certain people need to have, there's nothing you NEED to play right now..but if blu-ray, web-browsing, and Virtua Fighter 5 make you happy, it's a good console to have..but why so much ill wishes? Nintendo fans got plenty of great games even with the PS2 and the Xbox around..but the way it is now..honestly seems lots of Wii60 lovers would live happily if our PS3s were shelved in a year.[/QUOTE]

I was pretty pissed when I found out the PS2 version had WS support but that soon deflated after I found out it was fake and just stretched. I HATE that and if RE4 Wii has real WS, no bullshit LBX crap I'm interested. I won't pay $50 for it, more like $20.
As for BR you want to know how I feel look at my sig.

[quote name='Sarang01']I was pretty pissed when I found out the PS2 version had WS support but that soon deflated after I found out it was fake and just stretched. I HATE that and if RE4 Wii has real WS, no bullshit LBX crap I'm interested. I won't pay $50 for it, more like $20.
As for BR you want to know how I feel look at my sig.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure RE4 is real WS on PS2....I'll have to load it up again tonight...I don't remember it being fake like FFXII on PS2.

[quote name='sarausagi']I wish people did open their eyes. It's funny how something like Tomb Raider or Final Fantasy VII remake is so quickly looked down upon [IT'S JUST A GRAPHICS UPDATE!!!!" or THOSE GAMES ARE fuckING LAME] but you take a game that is already pretty much near perfect [RE4] and barely came out about two years ago, add some slapped on unresponsive Wii controls, and it's gold.[/QUOTE]

I haven't been on CAG the last two weeks, but my personal reaction was that RE 4 Wii is bullshit. Furthermore, I don't know a single person who plays RPGs (besides myself) that wouldn't give their right nut for FFVII on the PS3. The negative reaction to FFVII is strictly because of shit like Dirge of Cerberus. Tomb Raider.... I just don't know. It seems to be the most hated game series of all time until a new one is released and the press and gamers give it a collective pass as it becomes a multi million seller every time.

Cmon now, why is Wii now getting RE4? Again? Like godfather, Prince Of Persia, etc. Cmon honestly. These games have been out. You can get them for under 20 bucks, why would you spend full price all over again? Where is the new RE for the Wii? They should focus on that instead of yet another old game getting released again. The Wii still have some really good games out right now, with Paper Mario, Sonic, and stuff like that (others for me but I'll get flamed to high hell for mentioning them). All these old games and kiddy games are really already flooding the Wii, and it just came out.

I think the PS3 will do great once new titles came out. I mean when PS2 was coming out, it was all "I can't wait for the new Crash or Tomb Raider game), and those titles bombed and dissapeared and new titles came up. I'm excited for stuff like that.

Plus in a PSM there was a Indigo Prophecy like game coming for the PS3(not sure if it was also going to 360), I think it was called Heavy Rain. I loved IP and I can't wait for this game, which I know will be on PS3.

Godfather is a lot of fun on Wii. RE4 will be nice if it releases for cheap, because we'll have the PS2 extra content on a version that doesn't have blurry graphics and fewer enemies. I couldn't stand the PS2 version after playing the GameCube one. I'd re-buy it on Wii for $20-30.

By the way, PS3 got a version of Godfather too, not much enhanced from current gen.

[quote name='Blackout542']Cmon now, why is Wii now getting RE4? Again? Like godfather, Prince Of Persia, etc. Cmon honestly. These games have been out. You can get them for under 20 bucks, why would you spend full price all over again? Where is the new RE for the Wii? They should focus on that instead of yet another old game getting released again. The Wii still have some really good games out right now, with Paper Mario, Sonic, and stuff like that (others for me but I'll get flamed to high hell for mentioning them). All these old games and kiddy games are really already flooding the Wii, and it just came out.

I think the PS3 will do great once new titles came out. I mean when PS2 was coming out, it was all "I can't wait for the new Crash or Tomb Raider game), and those titles bombed and dissapeared and new titles came up. I'm excited for stuff like that.

Plus in a PSM there was a Indigo Prophecy like game coming for the PS3(not sure if it was also going to 360), I think it was called Heavy Rain. I loved IP and I can't wait for this game, which I know will be on PS3.[/quote]

I believe we should hold jugdement until we learn whether or not this game will be full priced or budget priced.

I'll buy RE4 if the game is not as blurry as the PS2 version. Considering that I bought the PS2 version for about $10, I don't mind paying $50 for a wii-make.

[quote name='jer7583']By the way, PS3 got a version of Godfather too, not much enhanced from current gen.[/QUOTE]
The "next gen" versions of The Godfather are only barely better than the previous gen versions. Some of the graphics on the 360 version (which is the one I have) are shockingly bad. "Worse than PS2" bad. It is higher resolution, but the faces, for example, look like crap.

[quote name='jer7583']Godfather is a lot of fun on Wii. RE4 will be nice if it releases for cheap, because we'll have the PS2 extra content on a version that doesn't have blurry graphics and fewer enemies. I couldn't stand the PS2 version after playing the GameCube one. I'd re-buy it on Wii for $20-30.

By the way, PS3 got a version of Godfather too, not much enhanced from current gen.[/quote]

Yeah I know, which is also dumb. Are people actually buying them up though? (either for the Wii or PS3).

$30 is a decent price I guess, but I wish instead of this we could get that RE Umbrella Chronicles (or whatever it was called).

[quote name='Blackout542']Yeah I know, which is also dumb. Are people actually buying them up though? (either for the Wii or PS3).

$30 is a decent price I guess, but I wish instead of this we could get that RE Umbrella Chronicles (or whatever it was called).[/quote]They're both coming out. RE4 is likely just a quick cash-in to make up the money they know they'll lose when people don't want to spend $50 (probably) on an on-rails light gun game in UC.

[quote name='botticus']They're both coming out. RE4 is likely just a quick cash-in to make up the money they know they'll lose when people don't want to spend $50 (probably) on an on-rails light gun game in UC.[/QUOTE]

Not likely. The Wii game is going to cost next to nothing to make, while the RE name alone is going to make money. It's probably to make up for the huge cash sink that is RE5 and DMC4.

March NPD just hit: Serious Business

Hardware Sales

Nintendo DS 508K
PlayStation 2 280K
Wii 259K
Xbox 360 199K
PlayStation Portable 180K
Game Boy Advance 148K
PlayStation 3 130K

GameCube 22K
Xbox n/a

Top 10 Software

PS2 GOD OF WAR II 833K
360 TOM CLANCY'S GHOST RECON: ADVANCED WARFI 394K
360 GUITAR HERO 2 W/ GUITAR 291K
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 273K
PS3 MOTORSTORM 199K
NDS DIDDY KONG RACING 189K
NDS SPECTROBES 165K
360 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K7 165K
PS2 MLB '07: THE SHOW 164K
360 DEF JAM ICON 148K

So now that we're done with VF5 and Motorstorm moving PS3s, lets move it up to Lair.

I saw 2 or 3 PS3s at BB a few days ago . . . they looked sad . . . like no one wanted them.

I think the price is just too steep.

I'm going to NEED a 360 or a PS3 . . . GTA IV is looking like a must play.

PS3 doing well it seems to me for something at that price. Being outsold by a media friendly $250 Wii by 2 to 1 is pretty good in my book.
Let's hope the price drop is true, I want this install base to grow!

Gosh, and that PS2 is a killer.

jeezus, i know it's now a cliche but seriously, who doesn't own a ps2?

lol @ the PS3 numbers. each game that comes out just a moves a couple systems, I guess. Lair and NGS should move a couple more. Wouldn't be surprised if the April numbers are even lower.

I think the PS3 will really pick up steam when 2 things happen:

1) It gets a price drop. $599 is too much for a "no occasion" purchase. IOW, no Christmas nearby.
2) Better games come out.
2a) Rumble. Games just feel too "quiet" without rumble. It really takes away from the experience
2b) Games that use some of the unique aspects of the system are available. Why a PS3 over a 360 or a PS2? That's hard to answer. Why a Wii or DS over [insert name of competitor here]? That's a really easy question for anyone to answer.

Unfortunately, I don't see any of those things happening in the next 6 months. I'm really digging on my PS3. I love the fact that it's a no compromise system. But not everyone can appreciate (or afford) one right now.

[quote name='torifile']I think the PS3 will really pick up steam when 2 things happen:

1) It gets a price drop. $599 is too much for a "no occasion" purchase. IOW, no Christmas nearby.
2) Better games come out.
2a) Rumble. Games just feel too "quiet" without rumble. It really takes away from the experience
2b) Games that use some of the unique aspects of the system are available. Why a PS3 over a 360 or a PS2? That's hard to answer. Why a Wii or DS over [insert name of competitor here]? That's a really easy question for anyone to answer.

Unfortunately, I don't see any of those things happening in the next 6 months. I'm really digging on my PS3. I love the fact that it's a no compromise system. But not everyone can appreciate (or afford) one right now.[/QUOTE]

you're definitely right w/ 1 and 2... people can't afford ps3... there's more people that can afford 249.99 than 599.99 so of course, if the wii doesn't outsell the ps3, then that makes it an absolute failure.

In terms of games, you're right.... but ps3 needs more than just "more games" they need games that aren't ports from 360 titles. Its up to heavenly sword, and lair... have to keep those games exclusive, and they have to be good.

The two things have to happen simultaneously. I have my doubts that better games alone will do it.

Motorstorm sold very well, but to the existing base.

Look what happens to the 360 in Japan. A would be killer game comes out, hardware sales spike, then level off. Even AAA great games arent $600 good to most people.

Few people will spend $600 to play one particular game, but if they're already interested in the system, it often only takes one or two really good games to push them over the edge. The PS3 just doesn't have that yet. I think sales will also pick up as more high profile Blu-ray titles show up.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']The two things have to happen simultaneously. I have my doubts that better games alone will do it.

Motorstorm sold very well, but to the existing base.

Look what happens to the 360 in Japan. A would be killer game comes out, hardware sales spike, then level off. Even AAA great games arent $600 good to most people.[/quote]

It takes more than a couple games for most people to spend that much.

Not everyone is like us early adopters who know what's coming, and what they have to deal with at launch.

I think it's a safe thing to say that we won't be seeing another $600 console from Sony next generation. They certainly pushed the market to the limit with that pricing.

bread's done
Back