How to clean stickers off games

b3b0p

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
On topic, off topic. Could not figure out where this question goes.

Anyone know a sure fire way to clean them blasted stickers off of games? Maybe not when they are on the front of the sticker that is part of the game, but when they are on the cartridge or box/case?

I have this stuff. Called goo gone. It takes off stickers/stickum no sweat, but the stuff smells like something citrus! I don't want my blasted games smelling like citrus! They should smell like the sweet air from Circa 1986.

Anyway, solutions, suggestions, home grown recipes appreciated.

Or do I have to live with this blasted silver holgram sticker "Void" on the back of my new used game?

I always use goo gone, but I don't mind it smelling funny for a week or so. One of my friends swears by WD-40 for some reason, but I think that would be an even worse smell.

I've used Gasoline but it tends to eat the plastic on game cases I learned that the hard way. Also where can you get goo gone at ?

If you don't like the smell of Goo Gone spray a case with Windex or glass cleaner when you're done. It eliminates the citrus. I do it anyways to get rid of the "greasy" feeling Goo Gone leaves.

I read that gun oil/lubricant works. I haven't tried it myself but it I can find the bottle I've got left over from the military I'm gonna try it.

It doesn't always work... but something I've done frequently that seems to work in the majority of cases is start by taking the sticker off slowly. Trying to get the gum to come up with the sticker.

AFter that, if it's a fairly durable sticker I often use that same sticker I just pulled off to try and get the rest of the gunk off. hold it by a corner and dab and pull... dab and pull... etc... the glue left on the back of the sticker will usually grab the glue remaining on the case....

sometimes if you have a thin sticker it will only leave more of itself on your case than when you started. in those cases I use fairly sticky packing tape to get the rest of the stuff off...

But there are times when even that doesn't work...

it's hard to describe so I hope this helps someone...

Yes I normally use some of the above things.

i normally make the case cold therefore the sticker seems to stay together better. Then i slowly remove it if the sticker starts to seperate from its glue part i then stop in that area and pull the sticker up in another area. Repeat this process until you cannot startsomewhere else.

Then use the same sticker and dab it on the leftover glue it generally pulls it right up with it. Again repeat this process.

I then use Rubbing alcohol to remve the rest I have found that its not as harsh as Goo Gone and generally wont discolor or "fog" any other plastic.
Depending on the stickiness I might have to use something slight rough like (300 grit sandpaper J/K) a rough sponge or something of that nature.

good luck

[quote name='nelsed']It doesn't always work... but something I've done frequently that seems to work in the majority of cases is start by taking the sticker off slowly. Trying to get the gum to come up with the sticker.

AFter that, if it's a fairly durable sticker I often use that same sticker I just pulled off to try and get the rest of the gunk off. hold it by a corner and dab and pull... dab and pull... etc... the glue left on the back of the sticker will usually grab the glue remaining on the case....

sometimes if you have a thin sticker it will only leave more of itself on your case than when you started. in those cases I use fairly sticky packing tape to get the rest of the stuff off...

But there are times when even that doesn't work...

it's hard to describe so I hope this helps someone...[/quote]

I do that too somewhat, but first I soak the box/CD in running water until it gets mushy and I scrape it off carefully. Then I apply that dab technique either with another sticker or scotch tape.

There is another thread on this.

If its on a dvd box, sometimes its better just to replace it if possible. I use hot breath to sorta steam paper stickers off. If GooGone works, use it :)

[quote name='Theenternal']There is another thread on this.

If its on a dvd box, sometimes its better just to replace it if possible. I use hot breath to sorta steam paper stickers off. If GooGone works, use it :)[/quote]

Hot Breath?! Kinda like the stuff you wake up in the morning with? Hahaha!

It just so happens that I removed a hideously yellow sticker from a used GameCube game. I peeled off what I could by hand, and then I used an Isopropyl Alcohol Wipe (a.k.a. Wet Nap) to remove the leftover adhesive gunk. It worked really well without the leftover stench. A great place to find these are computer stores or even KFC! (I wonder if baby wipes would work...)

The other problem with goo gone is it is greasy as hell! I hate it. I don't want grease up my box. What if it's on (Gasp!) a NES or SNES box :O

The Goo Gone will leave it's mark.

I've always used the goo gone myself, you could always lose the smell with some glass cleaner

I discovered a sure way of removing the blockbuster stickers though, the ones on the disc

you'll need a hairdryer and a knife

blow dry the label until you notice the label begin to bubble a little bit, take the knife and begin to pick at the center of the disc, not the outside, it will begin to tear

SLOWLY start peeling the label in a circular motion, if you begin to feel too much resistence, apply more heat. If you pull too hard on an area that isn't hot enough you can tear off the print on the disc

i mostly use blood, it doesnt have to be your's but i believe it does have to b a human's. although it might stain the box a little, but it works wonders and does not stain the disc. you'll need about 300cc so be prepared to sit down for a bit if you decide to drain your own. drink plenty of OJ and prepare a way to stop the blood before you start.

edit: typos

[quote name='rimsforsale']i mostly use blood, it doesnt have to be your's but i believe it does have to b a human's. although it might stain the box a little, but it works wonders and does not stain the disc. you'll need about 300cc so be prepared to sit down for a bit if you decide to drain your own. drink plenty of OJ and prepare a way to stop the blood before you start.

edit: typos[/quote]

LOL! :D

[quote name='st0neface']I always use goo gone, but I don't mind it smelling funny for a week or so. One of my friends swears by WD-40 for some reason, but I think that would be an even worse smell.[/QUOTE]

I realize this is an old thread, but I did a Yahoo search for how to get those blasted stickers off of my beloved Gamecube cases (EB Games went overboard) and the WD-40 actually worked very well. It's best to use an alternative method to remove the sticker itself (water and scraching is fine) but for the goo, spray some WD-40 on, rub it around, wash it off, and let it dry. There really isn't much of a smell. The only real problem is getting too much WD-40 on your hands and smearing it around on the case while it's drying. The WD-40 doesn't stick much to the wet plastic, but dry plastic will leave smears.

bread's done
Back