How to copy .mp4 videos from Mac to PSP?

purduealum91

CAGiversary!
Hey gang,

I have a few handbrake created videos I would like to upload to my PSP slim. I can't for the life of me figure out why the videos aren't playing on the PSP once they are uploaded to it. The PSP doesn't even acknowledge that they are there. I am using Leopard.

Can someone point my in the right direction? Do the files need to be named in a certain way and placed in a specific folder?

Thanks for any help!

Kill, outside of the two .ind files, am I to create a folder named VIDEO in the root directory? and then place the movies inside of it?

Thanks!

My apologies, I thought you had a modded psp. In your case just create a new folder in the root directory named MP_ROOT, and then make a folder called 100MNV01 in there. So your .MP4 files should go into E:\MP_ROOT\100MNV01, where E:\ is the drive letter of your Memory Stick.

[quote name='purduealum91']Thanks Kill! I will give it a shot. No modded PSP here, just a basic slim with the latest firmware[/QUOTE]

I think you can just create a Video file. Hook your PSP up to your MAC and look at the memory stick in Finder. See what the other folders are called. I am at work, and don't have mine with me right now, or else I would look. I think there is a game, pictures, music, etc, etc. If there is already a video folder, just drag your movie into that folder and you should be good to go. If there is not a video folder, you will need to create one. Then just drag your movie to the folder and you should be good to go.

With the newer official Sony FW, you don't need to use the funny file names listed in the post above yours.

Hope that makes some sense...

This may help too - from Sony's site:

link: http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/PSP/Movies/s_psp_mv_SA.html

First import or download movie/video files to your computer:
Make sure your computer contains software that supports the file format you are using and that the files formats are supported by your PSP®. For details, see Compatible Movie/Video Formats.
Save video files to your computer from other sources, such as digital cameras and website downloads.

Then save the files to a Memory Stick Duo™ using a computer:
Make sure there is enough available space for the files on your Memory Stick Duo™. For more information, see System Check.
If this is the first time you've used the Memory Stick Duo™, you must format it or use your computer to create the proper PSP ™ folder structure. For more information, see Formatting a Memory Stick Duo™ and About Memory Stick Duo™ Folder Structure.
Connect your Memory Stick Duo™ to a computer using one of the following methods:
Insert into the Memory Stick™ slot on the computer or use a Memory Stick Duo™ Adaptor.
Connect a Memory Stick reader/writer with a USB cable.
Connect your PSP®, with the Memory Stick Duo™ inserted, with a USB cable.
If you connected the Memory Stick Duo™ with a USB connection, you must activate the connection on the PSP®:
Select (USB) under (Settings) in the home menu.
Press .
Your computer will indicate that it detects the Memory Stick Duo™/PSP®.
Note: The computer might recognize the Memory Stick Duo™ /PSP® as a "Removable Disk Drive" or "Removable Storage" or as "Memory Stick Media".
Browse to the Memory Stick Duo™/PSP® on your computer.
Copy the movie/video files from your computer into the VIDEO folder on your Memory Stick Duo™.

You can create subfolders inside the VIDEO folder.1
Note: Folders within subfolders are not recognized by the PSP® and can not be viewed on the PSP®2

[quote name='kill3r7']My apologies, I thought you had a modded psp. In your case just create a new folder in the root directory named MP_ROOT, and then make a folder called 100MNV01 in there. So your .MP4 files should go into E:\MP_ROOT\100MNV01, where E:\ is the drive letter of your Memory Stick.[/quote]

Yeah unfortunately this info no longer applies with the latest firmware. If you already had old movies on your psp under the MP_ROOT directory they will still play when you update your system to newer frimware but you won't be able to add any new videos to that folder. From this point on movies and videos have to be placed into the VIDEO folder.

Thanks gang! It works now. I was seeing the video folder because I didn't format the mem stick prior to connecting it to my macbook. It's all good in da hood. :)

Tom

I'm considering picking up a PSP with movies being a pretty big factor in my purchase. How big are movie files when you convert them to be played on the PSP? I want to see what size memory stick I should get and how many movies I can fit on there.

Thanks!

[quote name='kenbo506']I'm considering picking up a PSP with movies being a pretty big factor in my purchase. How big are movie files when you convert them to be played on the PSP? I want to see what size memory stick I should get and how many movies I can fit on there.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

It all depends on the compression size and the size of your memory stick. You can stick a ton of movies on a 1gig stick that are really low quality or you can stick 3-4 movies at high quality on a 4gig stick.

[quote name='Nobi-Wan']It all depends on the compression size and the size of your memory stick. You can stick a ton of movies on a 1gig stick that are really low quality or you can stick 3-4 movies at high quality on a 4gig stick.[/quote]
Cool thanks! That helped give me a better picture.

I encoded my movies into what a high quality format such that the video files look pretty much identical to a UMD movie. At this setting, it runs just under 400MB per hour. So I can fit 3 or 4 videos onto my 4GB card, depending on the length of each movie.

If you are really looking after video, IMO you may want to consider an alternative device like the iPod touch. It has a higher resolution screen (also the screen does not ghost as much for dark colors? This effect is pretty noticeable on the PSP.) and also comes ith 16 or 32GB of memory. Also has superior internet browsing capabilities as well. When you buy up 16GB worth of memory sticks, the cost of the PSP + 16GB of storage is probably very comparable to the iPod.

Ruahrc

If you're doing a lot of encoding/transcoding, you may want to look at VisualHub to help with the process. It's $25 (I think), but it's a fantastic piece of software. The icon looks like ass, but it does the job.

[quote name='Ruahrc']I encoded my movies into what a high quality format such that the video files look pretty much identical to a UMD movie. At this setting, it runs just under 400MB per hour. So I can fit 3 or 4 videos onto my 4GB card, depending on the length of each movie.

If you are really looking after video, IMO you may want to consider an alternative device like the iPod touch. It has a higher resolution screen (also the screen does not ghost as much for dark colors? This effect is pretty noticeable on the PSP.) and also comes ith 16 or 32GB of memory. Also has superior internet browsing capabilities as well. When you buy up 16GB worth of memory sticks, the cost of the PSP + 16GB of storage is probably very comparable to the iPod.

Ruahrc[/quote]
Thanks for the additional info on the file sizes.

Good tip on the iPod Touch too. I didn't know the screen was better. Ultimately though, I still want to play games on the PSP. I guess what I meant to say was that I could never justify getting a PSP until I got on the portable video bandwagon. :)

I really like the program moviesherlock. I can easily listen to my favorite music on the iPhone. This
program downloads the music and automatically stores it on iTunes. It is very convenient and easy.:applause:

bread's done
Back