How to find the eBay average selling price.

fatherofcaitlyn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
82 (100%)
I get asked this a lot and nobody has posted a thread for it.

Here's how you get the eBay average selling price for a game.

0. Don't have your info saved at eBay.

1. Go to www.ebay.com.

2. Click the "Sell" button at the top of the page.

3. Click the "Sell Your Item" button.

4. Log in with your username and password and click "Sign In Securely".

5. Select "Sell item at Online Auction" and click "Continue".

6. On the category selection page, click the "Video Games" radio button and click "Continue".

7. On the next category selection page, select "Games" from the listview and click "Continue".

8. On the "List with Pre-Filled Information" screen, type in the UPC (preferably) or the keywords of the game. Accented words like Pokemon usually screw up this step. For this example, let's pretend we're trying to selling Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner. Type in "Enders".

9. On the "Sell Your Item: Select Your Game" screen, click the "Sell one like this" button to the right of the game that matches your game the closest.

10. On the "Sell Your Item: Describe Your Item" screen, type some gibberish into the "Item Description" textview field and click "Continue".

11. On the "Sell Your Item: Enter Pictures & Item Details", locate both the "Average Starting Price" and "Average Sold Price" fields. The "Average Sold Price" IS the eBay average selling price.

One thing to note about doing it that way. Ebay does not filter out new and used copies, they're all bunched in to calculate the average. Current generation used games typically get 15-25% less, new 15-25% more.

Also, I still advocate the Completed Listings Search over Fatherofcaityn's method. Just my personal preference.

Nice Tutorial, fatherofcaitlyn.

Guess my personal preference is similar to briansraregames , I don't use ebay's average price due to outliers. I just look at the completed listings and get a range. If I'm buying something, I want it to be below the average. It is the other way around if I want to sell something. And briansraregames made a good point, you can filter out the prices for new/used games by looking at the completed listings.

Hopefully, this will be a sticky and we will be seeing a reduction of posts that read "How much is this worth?", "Is this a good price?"," Did I get a good deal?" (It drives me nuts when people ask this question when they paid next to nothing for a great game/system. Is it not freaking obvious that you got an awesome deal? If you want to brag, this is fine. There is no need to rub it in.).

Outliers can definitely warp a value.

For example, Vitura-On: Ontario Tanagram or something had an average selling price of over $20. Looking at the completed listings, most were ended for $5 or less. However, somebody had sold an arcade machine for $200 under the video game listing.

For another example, sets can warp prices. The .hack series is a perfect example. Part 1 typically gets $10 or less by itself. However, people using the Part 1 listing when they sell an entire set or a partial set.

I can't remember what game it was, but it had an average starting price of $11 and an average sold price of $10. Apparently, somebody has been accepting a lot of best offers.

bread's done
Back