How to get a PS3 at Compusa.

When I saw the ad, I was thinking get a PS3 free with the purchase of the T.V., but if I have to buy the T.V. just to reserve it forget it. :(

Wtf? It says reserve it. Does that mean reserve or a vague meaning of you get one with your 40+ Sony TV. Even though I don't want a PS3, this could be convienent on the verge of getting a Sony 40 XBR2.

Actually, this isn't a bad deal if you're in the market for a new tv...you can easily recoup a large chunk (or maybe even the full amount) of the tv's price by dumping the ps3 into the secondary market.

Only question is when will the ps3 be available to actually purchase from CUSA?

[quote name='lmz00']Not a bad deal by any means.[/quote]ummm... i hope thats sarcasm. making you buy a 3000 dollar tv just to PREORDER a system is ridiculous. this makes eb's bundle's look like a bargain.

[quote name='lmz00']Not a bad deal by any means.[/QUOTE]

I agree - IF you are intending to buy a TV anyway. So the question is, what is the cheapest TV that qualifies? Too bad it isn't 36 and up, as I was looking for a new TV for the bedroom (to replace our 12 year-old 27" tube model :D). 40+ might be a bit too much for that. I already have a 51" Sony HDTV downstairs.

It's actually a GREAT DEAL if your looking for a HDTV. By buying the PS3 at CompUSA, you effectively wipe out 99% of your competition (most hardcore gamers already have HDTV and eBayers aren't going to get a TV just to get a PS3, so to get a PS3, your only competing with a small percentage of people). If your already in the market for a 40 incher, this is probably the easiest way to get a PS3 without having to deal with overwhelming odds (camping out 36 hours, etc.).

well that's not so bad, I was expecting some comment like "If you suck the Manager's Dick".

I mean if you were planning on getting the TV, why not. You can sell the PS3 and make the extra profit pay off 500 bucks at least from your tv.

Zoglog, good point. The deal at CompUSA isn't "Pre-order a PS3 with the purchase of a HDTV." The deal is more like, "Buy a HDTV and get $600 to $1000 off the TV."

I don't know if any of them are Sony (it's too bad it's brand specific though it makes sense) because I know my local CompUSA has a decent selection of clearance HDTVs. So someone MAY be able to make this work well.

I don't get it.

Isn't that the same price the PS3 is listing for? So basically, its buy a TV and reserve (not immediately get) the PS3 for the price it is selling for? How is this a deal? I'm obviously missing something.

[quote name='Lou-Dawg']I might do this. I need an HDTV anyway. Anyone know if Sony makes good ones?[/QUOTE]

The SXRDs aren't bad at all, check them out. I nearly went for one before deciding to go flat.

The only one worth considering is the 1080p one. At $3500, it's an awlful lot to drop for a tv, knowing it will probably drop in a month or so. The way I look at it, you have to make up for the deal you could have gotten on the tv elsewhere. For example, most of us would probably buy this from BB when their tvs are on sale for 10% off, then use the 12% off rewards coupon. Even if the tv wasn't on sale, the 12% rewards coupon on a $3500 tv is a $420 savings...

IMO, almost all Sony HDTV's (LCD, SXRD) are among the best, if not the best, in picture quality, but price and reliability are always concerns.

I was actually seriously considering a KDL-40V2500 or 40S2010.

The ad makes it seem like you will get one on the 17th, but I bet they won't even keep track of how many they presell and just put you on the waiting list without knowing it.

When's this deal start? Maybe it means you can reserve the PS3 now, and get it Nov. 17... it's just badly worded.

The XBR2's are not so bad. However the Thing is unless you really need an HDTV Tuner, the Westinghouse LCD monirots are VERY Comparable at 50% of the cost.

With Sony you're mainly paying for Brand Name

if your in the market for an HDTV, its not too bad of a deal...BUT

it has to be SONY brand and the cheapest SONY i see on there is $1800

im not spending that much on a tv...... :/

[quote name='Zoglog']The XBR2's are not so bad. However the Thing is unless you really need an HDTV Tuner, the Westinghouse LCD monirots are VERY Comparable at 50% of the cost.

With Sony you're mainly paying for Brand Name[/QUOTE]

I used to think that about Sony up until their recent HD LCDs and latest SXRD's. Westinghouse is very good for the price, but doesn't compare. Not VERY Comparable at all. Go look at them side by side at an electronics store.

i work in tv's and the sony bravias and sharps newest models are by far the nicest on the market..
Westington house and polaroid are lusly
You can't compare a ford and a bmx.. Both are cars and both have 4 doors but theres a differnce....
In tv's you have to look at alot of things cable cards, hdmi inputs, 1080p, contrast ratio, response time..

[quote name='toper']Actually, this isn't a bad deal if you're in the market for a new tv...you can easily recoup a large chunk (or maybe even the full amount) of the tv's price by dumping the ps3 into the secondary market.

Only question is when will the ps3 be available to actually purchase from CUSA?[/quote]

I like the way you think.

[quote name='scottman']I used to think that about Sony up until their recent HD LCDs and latest SXRD's. Westinghouse is very good for the price, but doesn't compare. Not VERY Comparable at all. Go look at them side by side at an electronics store.[/QUOTE]

I'll grant you they are higher quality slightly, but it's really not worth the extra cost at all. You're mainly paying for the brand name markup. For the Equvalent Sony LCD TV you're looking at paying about $1000 more (for a 40") than you would for the westinghouse 42". That's almost twice the cost, and those new Sony HDLCD Tvs definetly don't look that great. As For rear projection technologies they still suffer from problems with a larger frame, lamp replacement, and horrible viewing angles.

For your bang for the buck the Westinghouse TVs are better leaps and bounds. But if you want a tv with a "floating glass frame" to impress friends when you bring them over, by all means go buy a sony for the added cost. But the picture quality is definetly not $1000 better.

[quote name='tsg2005']i just checked my local compusa ad.....this wasnt advertised in So Cal i guess[/QUOTE]

Sorry, this starts Nov. 12th through the 18th.

I just bought a 40'' samsung 1080p from best buy (assholes), maybe I should return it and get one from compusa AND GET MY PS3. (wonder if they would match a cheaper price somewhere else).

i'm using last year's model, the 50a10. it's a RP LCD, but the picture is great, and for price vs. performance, there aren't many that beat it. i shopped online and demo'ed in stores for over a month before deciding on this one. say what you will about Sony (i know i do!), but their TVs have an excellent picture, almost across the board.

[quote name='Lou-Dawg'] Anyone know if Sony makes good ones?[/QUOTE]

I think I read somewhere (Tom's Hardware?) that Sony makes some of the poorer LCD TV's. Horrible responsetimes.

Edit: NM, I'm thinking of LCD Monitors, not TV's. Dunno how the TV's rate.

As a Sony TV hater, they have made me change my opinion because of their 2 lines of HDTV. The LCD "Bravia" and the RPTV "SXRD", both look incredible. I love the Bravia LCD, it is wonderful and you won't be disappointed. Likewise, if you need something bigger than 40 inches and don't mind alittle more width, the SXRD is an incredible value for 50+ inches of HDTV goodness.

If I didn't buy a JVC HDILA 2 years ago, I would have bought the SXRD. So I highly recommend these 2 lines if you are looking to buy an HDTV.

OTOH, I would not buy from BB. You can save $$ buying somewhere else, and you are only reserving a PS3 (not sure if they will even guarantee you one, but I would hope so considering you are spending that much on a TV).

[quote name='djinni']The only one worth considering is the 1080p one. At $3500, it's an awlful lot to drop for a tv, knowing it will probably drop in a month or so. The way I look at it, you have to make up for the deal you could have gotten on the tv elsewhere. For example, most of us would probably buy this from BB when their tvs are on sale for 10% off, then use the 12% off rewards coupon. Even if the tv wasn't on sale, the 12% rewards coupon on a $3500 tv is a $420 savings...[/quote]

Wait, how's this you save 12% off with reward zone? I thought you just got like 5 dollar certificates with that thing after spending a ton.

[quote name='kev097']Wait, how's this you save 12% off with reward zone? I thought you just got like 5 dollar certificates with that thing after spending a ton.[/quote]
as a reward zone member, (usually) coupons are sent out every month or so that offer a 12% discount on any one item. i used just such a coupon to buy my 50" TV last year, and also bought it during a sale. this effectively brought the price of the set down from $2499 to $1979. that coupon was WAY handy. however, i just read in another thread here on CAG that the most recently-issued 12% coupon excludes TVs over 36" in size (or something along those lines). and that's just lame.

and for the record, i'm aware this is a thread about CompUSA.

Any chance someone saved the ad and can repost?
I'm interested in checking out my options at CompUsa.

Thanks-

bread's done
Back