How to get rid of a Gamecube?

B

Blackout

I have a platinum Gamecube with 2 official wired controllers. I haven't played it in ages and have no desire to keep it around. I threw it up on CL but got no offers. Gamestop only gives $15 for it. What are my options here? I figure I can sell it and put the money towards a new game or something.

Bundle it with some games and you might increase its value? The console isn't worth much now and never will be, and you missed the boat on trade-in bonus credit at GS a year or so ago. A bundle might sell on CL-- if you include some games, you might fetch $30 for it. Earlier this year, I think GC controllers (mostly Wavebirds, but some wired controllers too) went up in price due to people wanting them to play SSBB, but those prices have receded...

Have you considered a donation instead of a straight sale? There might be some local hospital/ day care/ youth center who'd love a game system, and the tax write-off could be worth more than whatever you could sell it for.

(I also wonder- think that GC still worked after getting hucked? It didn't look like it broke that much...)

I gave one of my four Cubes to my seven year old cousin. She thinks it's the greatest thing ever.

Of course, she would probably trade it for my Wii system instead, but I haven't been committed to a sanitarium yet.

Haha nice video. Donation? I don't pay taxes (haven't had a job yet). Does anyone CAG want it? LOL. Maybe I will give it to a hospital or something.

[quote name='georox']I want a gamecube... but I'll admit, I wanted to do what that video did, on a slightly more extreme level.[/quote]

Stuff it with firecrackers and M-80s and film the resulting series of explosions? I annihilated a couple things(including some vintage Star Wars toys back in the 1980's)just by repeatedly smashing them with LARGE(25-30 lb) rocks. Han Solo never saw that large meteorite coming. :D

I have a slim PStwo that's brand new that I stupidly bought using the credit they gave me for my Xbox from my PRP last year at Best Buy. I've been trying to sell it sans any games with 3 extra controllers(one sealed) and a sealed multitap for about $140-150 to no avail.

I may take it back to Best Buy during the after Christmas lenient period when they take in stuff w/o a receipt, if it doesn't sell prior to Christmas.

[quote name='Blackout']Haha nice video. Donation? I don't pay taxes (haven't had a job yet). Does anyone CAG want it? LOL. Maybe I will give it to a hospital or something.[/QUOTE]

I was going to suggest this, giving it to a hospital.

The GC doesn't have much value and while destroying stuff is probably fun, honestly, I think it's messed that so many people actually suggest destroying perfectly good electronics. I'm no saint or moral soldier but come on, do all of you have money trees in your back yard and lack any sense of reality?

I could understand if this was a PoS system but it's not. It's a good console that would probably be fun to some kids out there.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Stuff it with firecrackers and M-80s and film the resulting series of explosions?
[/quote]

I was thinking something with slightly more burning, less explosions. Possibly smashed while on fire, too. Make things more... interesting.

Of course filmed :D What else is youtube for?

Look, it's getting close to the holiday season, and I'm sure that if you didn't want it, rather than destroy it, give it to some kid who doesn't have any game system.

Another good place is your local children's home. We have one around here that is always looking for good stuff, including gaming stuff.

[quote name='DuelLadyS'](I also wonder- think that GC still worked after getting hucked? It didn't look like it broke that much...)[/quote]

That's actually quite likely; it's built like a purple tank. I suspect a panel or the lid broke off, but I'd put good odds on it still working.

I'm going for the "donate" option as well.

Well, donating is always good, but when I was in your situation, I modded it into a lunchbox. Doesn't do much though since it is so small, but having the pop up cover still working makes for good bragging rights.

I'd probably agree with donating it to a children's hospital or something at this point. I won't get rid of my Gamecube because A) It's modded with a region switch and B) I have a GB Player, but if I was going to just get rid of it, the warm feeling of knowing that it's getting put to good use would probably outweigh the pittance I'd get for selling/trading it in at this point.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I also wonder- think that GC still worked after getting hucked? It didn't look like it broke that much...[/QUOTE]
When the GameCube was still in its prime, a video worked its way online where somebody tied it to a rope and towed it in their car for over a mile.

Miraculously, it still worked when they took it home and tried to start it up. They ended up taking the easy way out and smashing it with a baseball bat.

With a few notable exceptions, Nintendo products are fairly solid. The original Game Boy made its way onto Cnet's list of the Top 10 most durable devices, and EGM flushed a white Game Boy Advance down the toilet without killing it. (They nicknamed it "Jesus".)

I like to spray paint my extra worthless consoles so that I have a customized system in the house. You could also get significantly more on ebay than it would cost to spray paint the system if you have good weather where you live and some time on your hands.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Have you considered a donation instead of a straight sale? There might be some local hospital/ day care/ youth center who'd love a game system, and the tax write-off could be worth more than whatever you could sell it for.

(I also wonder- think that GC still worked after getting hucked? It didn't look like it broke that much...)[/quote]

G4 Xplay did a take on the ps2/xbox/gc and found that the GC was the only one that lasted through all the brutal drops and poundings.

Xbox was the first to go, and I think the ps2 couldn't handle a 10ft drop.

I would definately donate it! Hospitals might name a ward/wing after you!

[quote name='SaraAB']I like to spray paint my extra worthless consoles so that I have a customized system in the house. You could also get significantly more on ebay than it would cost to spray paint the system if you have good weather where you live and some time on your hands.[/quote]
That reminds me of the one listing someone posted a while back in the Craigslist stupidity thread, where someone had wrapped an N64 in gold tinfoil or something.
[quote name='xycury']G4 Xplay did a take on the ps2/xbox/gc and found that the GC was the only one that lasted through all the brutal drops and poundings. Xbox was the first to go, and I think the ps2 couldn't handle a 10ft drop. I would definately donate it! Hospitals might name a ward/wing after you![/quote]
See, I would've thought it would've been the other way around on the first two systems, since the Xbox was built like a tank versus the PS2 whose laser would be knocked out of alignment with the slightest of bumps.

Mind you, I'd still much rather PLAY a game system than destroy it. However, I've seen many stories about people who donated stuff, only to have some asshole steal it for either their own kids or to resell.

If I ever donated something like a game system and some assclown stole it, if they ever caught em I'd like to shove said game system up their ass, then cement it shut.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL Well, when I read about the asshole who stole something that someone else donated for the kids to use, it just irked me that someone could be such an asshole. Even if they were stealing it for their own kid(s) to play, it's still wrong and they have programs where those who can't afford such things can ask for such things(Toys For Tots for one).

What I did with my old gamecube was gut it and just keep the case. I then gave it to my little brother to use as a lunchbox (screwed around with the open button a bit to make it work again). He had the most bitching lunchbox in school

[quote name='SaraAB']I like to spray paint my extra worthless consoles so that I have a customized system in the house. You could also get significantly more on ebay than it would cost to spray paint the system if you have good weather where you live and some time on your hands.[/quote] That's a cool idea. I might spray paint my extra genesis with a wiggly power cord slot (no one will buy it.)

Do you take the case off or just tape over the stuff you don't want painted?

[quote name='MikeHoncho']What I did with my old gamecube was gut it and just keep the case. I then gave it to my little brother to use as a lunchbox (screwed around with the open button a bit to make it work again). He had the most bitching lunchbox in school[/quote]
When I did it, I had to use a lighter to seal some of the parts together tightly. It doesn't work well as a lunchbox either, it can barely fit a sandwich and bag of chips :/

[quote name='Filler2001']When I did it, I had to use a lighter to seal some of the parts together tightly. It doesn't work well as a lunchbox either, it can barely fit a sandwich and bag of chips :/[/QUOTE]
Crazyglue is your best friend

Adhesive wasn't the problem, just that the cube is so small. I mean, try using the wii as a briefcase after strapping a handle on it and gutting it.

[quote name='Filler2001']Adhesive wasn't the problem, just that the cube is so small. I mean, try using the wii as a briefcase after strapping a handle on it and gutting it.[/QUOTE]
True but you got to admit, it looks badass.

bread's done
Back