how to get rid of a misdemeanor?

Abdullah2

CAGiversary!
I was wondering if anyone knows how to get this off my record, a 'posession drug paraphernelia' misdemeanor. The cash bond waiver says that I can post an appeal bond within 30 days, if not then the conviction 'guilty' will be final. Would someone still post an appeal bond if they knew they were guilty? and is there another way to get rid of it if I didnt do anything about it for awhile. thanks

The best way to not have convictions on your record is to not do bad things.

Other than that, depending on the circumstances, I wouldn't bother appealing. You were probably convicted for a reason. Maybe that reason is as simple as you pleading no contest, but there has to be a reason.

[quote name='Abdullah2']I was wondering if anyone knows how to get this off my record, a 'posession drug paraphernelia' misdemeanor. The cash bond waiver says that I can post an appeal bond within 30 days, if not then the conviction 'guilty' will be final. Would someone still post an appeal bond if they knew they were guilty? and is there another way to get rid of it if I didnt do anything about it for awhile. thanks[/QUOTE]

I'd need more information. Did you plead guilty or was there a trial? No contest plea? Also, the law on removing criminal offenses varies from state to state. If it's in Illinois, I can you several basics (too in depth and it would be considered giving legal advice and I don't think my boss wants me doing that for free :) ).

Also, in most states, an appeal is to challenge some defect in the proceedings, not to relitigate whether or not you are guilty. Just another thought before you go and post an appeal bond.

Shoot up the police station, Minion style. Nobody'll be around to arrest you then and you can steal a police car for personal use. :D

[quote name='zionoverfire']I didn't realize owning drug paraphernelia was illegal anywhere.[/quote]

They arrested Cheech for selling marijuana smoking paraphernelia online.

Some lady in Texas got arrested for selling sex toys, even though she tried to shield herself by claiming they were "novelty items"

There's alot of kooky stuff going on these days.

[quote name='greatscot']I'd need more information. Did you plead guilty or was there a trial? No contest plea? Also, the law on removing criminal offenses varies from state to state. If it's in Illinois, I can you several basics (too in depth and it would be considered giving legal advice and I don't think my boss wants me doing that for free :) ).

Also, in most states, an appeal is to challenge some defect in the proceedings, not to relitigate whether or not you are guilty. Just another thought before you go and post an appeal bond.[/QUOTE]

I pled guilty by paying the small fine ($167) to avoid going to jail. So probably an appeal bond isnt for me. I just heard that a misdemeanor was easy to get off your record through a lawyer somehow. It was in Galveston, and I got extremely lucky, he could have easily given me a felony with all the stuff I had , riding dirty etc.

[quote name='Abdullah2']I pled guilty by paying the small fine ($167) to avoid going to jail. So probably an appeal bond isnt for me. I just heard that a misdemeanor was easy to get off your record through a lawyer somehow. It was in Galveston, and I got extremely lucky, he could have easily given me a felony with all the stuff I had , riding dirty etc.[/QUOTE]

You screwed up. Just move on and don't get caught doing it again and you'll be fine. I think you are stuck with that misdemeanor since you plead guilty.

Sometimes if you go to your court date instead of pleading guilty and paying the fine, and you don't have anything else on your record, you can go through something called a pre-trial diversion program. Basically you pay a set fee (which is more than the ticket fee), and you go to classes. Usually with that it can get wiped off your record.

But, you've already plead guilty by paying your ticket. You may be able to contact the prosecutor and ask about it, but I doubt they can do anything now.

[quote name='Abdullah2']I was wondering if anyone knows how to get this off my record, a 'posession drug paraphernelia' misdemeanor. The cash bond waiver says that I can post an appeal bond within 30 days, if not then the conviction 'guilty' will be final. Would someone still post an appeal bond if they knew they were guilty? and is there another way to get rid of it if I didnt do anything about it for awhile. thanks[/QUOTE]

Shoot the cop that pulls you over and carry a lot more drugs then it becomes a felony, misdemeanor gone. Your welcome for the advice.

[quote name='magikman']Where's javeryh? There's an expunge process... but I don't remember how it works...[/QUOTE]

It's easier if you are a minor, I remember that.

According to Texas Statute 481.125, it should have been a C Misdemeanor. I just found this Texas bill that should have gone into effect this past September that might help:

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlo/79R/billtext/HB02664I.HTM

Of course you won't be able to take advantage of it until 5 years after you receieved the misdemeanor, but it's better to get it off of your record 5 years from now than never at all. Oh, and you have to not have any more charges filed against you until then.

If you contact the prosecutor's office of that county and they say that there's no pre-trial diversion or classes or programs or whatever that you can take to get if off of your record soon, then you'll have to wait the 5 years and make a petition.

Can anyone else find anything better?

[quote name='camoor']They arrested Cheech for selling marijuana smoking paraphernelia online.[/QUOTE]
i believe that was chong, not cheech. tommy chong bongs if i'm not mistaken.

I think almost every state has a process for filing for the expunction of your record, usually there's period between when your last offense was and when you can file and it usually needs to go through an attorney IIRC. I know some states still automatically expunge your record when you turn 18 if you were a minor, I dunno if that's a common practice in your state or not though (or if it even applies to you).

Edit: GuywithGun apparently found more precise info, seems like you may have a waiting period of 5 years or so.

[quote name='Tiphireth']Shoot up the police station, Minion style. Nobody'll be around to arrest you then and you can steal a police car for personal use. :D[/QUOTE]

hey that happened to a local police station like 10 minutes from my house, damn goth kid came in and started shooting up the police station and cops. The bastard killed two cops but got gunned down himself like 2 weeks ago. I knew one of the cops that died and the fact that I was going to pass that place less than 45 minutes before it happened on the way to another school but had the feeling not to as i would have been stuck in a lockdown :O

[quote name='camoor']They arrested Cheech for selling marijuana smoking paraphernelia online.

Some lady in Texas got arrested for selling sex toys, even though she tried to shield herself by claiming they were "novelty items"

There's alot of kooky stuff going on these days.[/QUOTE]

Theres a store down the street from me that sales pipes and stuff like that. Been there for years. Damn Hippies!

[quote name='ITDEFX']hey that happened to a local police station like 10 minutes from my house, damn goth kid came in and started shooting up the police station and cops. The bastard killed two cops but got gunned down himself like 2 weeks ago. I knew one of the cops that died and the fact that I was going to pass that place less than 45 minutes before it happened on the way to another school but had the feeling not to as i would have been stuck in a lockdown :O[/QUOTE]

Was this imaginary precent 34? If that really happened it would have been all over the news. Unless you can dig up an article for it, lets just say its all make believe for now.

[quote name='danny-o']Was this imaginary precent 34? If that really happened it would have been all over the news. Unless you can dig up an article for it, lets just say its all make believe for now.[/QUOTE]

Try a google search before you stick your foot in your mouth up to your knee. He even has his location in his profile to use on the search.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/08/virginia.shooting/index.html
http://www.examiner.com/a-102559~Fairfax_police_officers_shot_in_attack_outside_station.html
http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=65476&paper=0&cat=109
http://www.timesdispatch.com/servle...TD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1137835943418
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/30/AR2006053001264.html

I live in the area and it was all over the local news, and I'm pretty sure it would have been mentioned nationally, just maybe not week long cover story stuff.

One surprising fact that came out from this was that (barring traffic accidents) these were the first Fairfax County police officers killed in the line of duty. Might be a factor of just how many Fairfax County police there are out on patrol at any given time.

[quote name='wubb']Try a google search before you stick your foot in your mouth up to your knee. He even has his location in his profile to use on the search.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/08/virginia.shooting/index.html
http://www.examiner.com/a-102559~Fairfax_police_officers_shot_in_attack_outside_station.html
http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=65476&paper=0&cat=109
http://www.timesdispatch.com/servle...TD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1137835943418
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/30/AR2006053001264.html

I live in the area and it was all over the local news, and I'm pretty sure it would have been mentioned nationally, just maybe not week long cover story stuff.

One surprising fact that came out from this was that (barring traffic accidents) these were the first Fairfax County police officers killed in the line of duty. Might be a factor of just how many Fairfax County police there are out on patrol at any given time.[/QUOTE]

Thanks wubb , I forgot about this thread... our local fox news was obessed
with his myspace page for awhile....man wtf is fox news doing looking up peoples myspace site. Sad to see that the truth behind these murders will never be known :(

[quote name='magikman']Where's javeryh? There's an expunge process... but I don't remember how it works...[/quote]

I doubt javeryh would be able to help as he's a corporate lawyer, usually dealing in murders and executions... I mean mergers and acquisitions. :lol: It's not the same as a trial lawyer.

No one is going to care about that being on your record since it's a misdemeanor. Just stay clean or don't get caught for a year or two and it will be like it never happened.

[quote name='manofpeace20']No one is going to care about that being on your record since it's a misdemeanor. Just stay clean or don't get caught for a year or two and it will be like it never happened.[/QUOTE]

not unless you work for the public education system......they check everything :O

[quote name='ITDEFX']not unless you work for the public education system......they check everything :O[/QUOTE]

I know they do b/c I used to work for them, but no one really cares unless you did something involving children.

[quote name='danny-o']Theres a store down the street from me that sales pipes and stuff like that. Been there for years. Damn Hippies![/quote]

There's 2 stores in downtown toronto like that too, they also sell some new age stuff (incense and such). One I think sold pot as well, because there were 2 people talking and laughing with the guy working there, all huddles real close, but when I walked in everyone went silent and the 2 guys walked away.

In harvard square they have drug stuff in store windows some times, though it's pot related. Hell, I once saw newbury comics (a major record store chain in new england) selling drug paraphanalia at the newbury street location in boston, though again it was for marijuana, so maybe no one cared.

Its a misdemeanor, so hopefully, you won't have too much trouble with it.

For my current job, I had to fill out a form for government clearance and I was told to list any and all convictions, even if they had been expunged from my record. My guess is that in the post 9/11 world, nothing is ever really "gone" anymore.

TBW

[quote name='Abdullah2']It was in Galveston, and I got extremely lucky, he could have easily given me a felony with all the stuff I had , riding dirty etc.[/QUOTE]

So, erm... Have you been "scared straight" by this?

I mean, seriously kids, wtf is wrong with good old fashioned cigarettes and alcohol? They're legal and help you escape as well as anything else.

1. In order to get away with selling bongs, you have to call them "Decorative glass pieces".

2. Cheech never got arrested for selling the bongs, that was chong.

[quote name='TheBlueWizard']Its a misdemeanor, so hopefully, you won't have too much trouble with it.

For my current job, I had to fill out a form for government clearance and I was told to list any and all convictions, even if they had been expunged from my record. My guess is that in the post 9/11 world, nothing is ever really "gone" anymore.

TBW[/quote]

My guess is that the "even if they had been expunged" part was a bluff. You'd only have a problem if you listed something they found problematic, they probably wouldn't know if it was gone.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']My guess is that the "even if they had been expunged" part was a bluff. You'd only have a problem if you listed something they found problematic, they probably wouldn't know if it was gone.[/quote]
Your guess is incorrect. :) It's still on your record even if it is expunged. Everything stays on your record, it just gets a nullification later on. It will say you had a misdemeanor for whatever, then under that it will say expunged and the date it was expunged, but all the information that was ever there is still there. There's just an addition that says that all the previous information was expunged.

BlueWizard, you would have been in some shit if you had falsified those. Good move on not doing that. ;)

bread's done
Back