how to get ring of death

soxfan4525

CAGiversary!
My 360 went out of warranty 2 months ago, and now it just started overhearing. I get the normal green lights when i start the console but there is no picture on the screen. I have tried different cables and different tv's.

I called microsoft and they said that the new warranty only covers the ring of death. The lady told me to basically keep it running so that somehow my console will break down and get the ring of death.

I tried this and it didnt work. Is there any way to force my console to get the ring of death.

[quote name='javeryh']That's crap because I was/am having audio problems and they are fixing it for me free of charge.[/quote]

Is it because you've only had your 360 for a year before then? If so, MS covers anything in the first year of purchase, and then 3 years after the purchase is only red rings

[quote name='Zackattack33']Is it because you've only had your 360 for a year before then? If so, MS covers anything in the first year of purchase, and then 3 years after the purchase is only red rings[/quote]

^he's right^^

[quote name='javeryh']That's crap because I was/am having audio problems and they are fixing it for me free of charge.[/quote]Probably because they want to dissect it and see what happened with your console.

cover all the vents and leave it on.

or you could hit the guide button when receiving a game invite-- that seems to overload the system :roll: jk

[quote name='mykevermin']Call them back and tell them you got the RROD. That's what you should be doing anyway.[/quote]

This is the best advice. Just tell them you get the rings and they will send you a coffin. They should make sure it's working completely before shipping it back to you.

My console was purchased in December 2005 and replaced in November 2006. I'm not sure if that resets the year or not.

i just went to their website and clicked that i got the rrod and my coffin was on the way. Had mine for a year and a couple of days. :(
Didnt have to talk to anyone

1113346900_625da37364.jpg

[quote name='Milkyman']i just went to their website and clicked that i got the rrod and my coffin was on the way. Had mine for a year and a couple of days. :(

[/QUOTE]

I don't know why, but that is an awesome picture.

Do you figure they check if it has the RROD consistently before shipping out a new system? I've heard mixed reports that sometimes they just ship it back to you if they found nothing wrong with it, but others say that they just ship out a refurb regardless.

I got all the freezing and clicking problems (Madden 07, Gears, NBA2k7, etc) but only the RROD once...it was when I first plugged in my Play-Asia VGA cables. I just restarted it and it worked okay.

Mine RRoD'd Sunday night when we had a power flicker or two when it was in LP DL mode downloading the Bioshock demo. Found it Monday morning, power-cycled it, finished up the DL in normal mode that morning. Played through the demo more than once on Monday without any issues.

Tried to run the demo last night, locked up in the demo. Power-cycled it, and then it locked up in bootup with the red checkerboard pattern. RRoD'd a couple more times with a power-cycle each time. Booted it one more time, came up OK, booted it again, RRoD.

I was told on the phone line that since my system was out of the 1 Year period if the fixer-uppers over in Texas felt that it wasn't an RROD problem they would contact me by e-mail and ask if I would pay them $100 to do the unwarrantied repairs or if they should just ship it back broken.

Of course, no one here at CAG (myself included) would ever leave it at that but I just wanted to give you a heads-up in case you request the box and they pull that on you. I have half a feeling they may pull it on me since 5% of the time it comes up as an AV Connection problem even though the system gets RROD the other 95% of the time, cannot establish any signal to the TV, and cannot run any discs. Oh, and the system says the GPU is dead.

In the meantime while you wait for your box might I suggest leaving your 360 on as much as possible and keep it in an enclosed area? That should get the little bugger up to over 100 F in less than 30 minutes. Just take off your HDD, though. No need to let that little guy suffer for his older brother's ills. :lol:

My 360 show me the RROD last sunday while playing the DVD movie. I haven't really play much game on it (no time :( ), but use it as a dvd player for our living room. After I pop out the dvd, the machine still gave me RROD a few times that night, but afterward I pop in the game and it has been working fine.. is my problem permanent or just the case that the 360 drive didn't like the dvd brand that I put in? After that I pop a few games in there and the machine start up fine (green) but still haven't try it over a long period of time? Thanks for any advice...

I know my perfectly fine working 360 got the right of death by using a DVD lens cleaner on it (it even said compatibile for Xbox and Xbox 360 on the cover of the cleaner) Might want to try that.

Mine happened while I was downloading the bioshock demo. I was also worried that mine wouldn't be consistent. After it cools it will turn on again but a few minutes of play with a graphically intense game will kill it again.

At least I got a nice picture out of it.

[quote name='Milkyman']i just went to their website and clicked that i got the rrod and my coffin was on the way. Had mine for a year and a couple of days. :(

[/quote]
that looks like a professional promo shot there. you take that? did you also take the one in your sig? :bouncy:

MS better start fixing this problem if they want to get the "one-the-fence" crowd in the game.

I'm not going to buy just to be pushed into some nightmare situation where the console is bricked but I'm SOL because the warranty doesn't cover my consoles way of dying.

[quote name='velvet396']that looks like a professional promo shot there. you take that? did you also take the one in your sig? :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

Haha I'd like to see Microsoft put out promo shots featuring the rrod.
Photography is my other expensive hobby and I really wish I was the guy who took the photo in my sig.

[/QUOTE]

Thats a great picture of the RROD. The lighting, the drama, pain, and suffering that picture describes it all so well. Thats art :lol:

i would say to just run it while wrapped in a towel. You're bound to get the ring of death after a while. It really doesn't matter if you abuse it, it's not like you'll be getting the same one back, regardless.

[quote name='Milkyman']Haha I'd like to see Microsoft put out promo shots featuring the rrod.
Photography is my other expensive hobby and I really wish I was the guy who took the photo in my sig.[/quote]

How expensive is your camera, that pic is like super high quality.

my camera is a rebel xt, if you shop around you should find it for about 4-500 bucks, i had a 70 dollar lens on it. I turned off all the lights in the room, set the camera on the floor in front of the 360, set it to open the shutter for a couple of seconds to get a good saturation of the red lights and then fired a flash off from camera right before the shutter closed.

[quote name='Milkyman']my camera is a rebel xt, if you shop around you should find it for about 4-500 bucks, i had a 70 dollar lens on it. I turned off all the lights in the room, set the camera on the floor in front of the 360, set it to open the shutter for a couple of seconds to get a good saturation of the red lights and then fired a flash off from camera right before the shutter closed.[/QUOTE]

Cool, I'm content with my Canon a540 for the moment.

[quote name='Graystone']Cool, I'm content with my Canon a540 for the moment.[/QUOTE]

you should give it a shot, you've got the control you need with that camera, and if you don't have an off camera flash you can use another camera, maybe a old film camera you don't use, a disposable or someone else's camera. we can turn this thread into RROD art thread!

anybody want my picture as a wallpaper? haha

[quote name='Milkyman']you should give it a shot, you've got the control you need with that camera, and if you don't have an off camera flash you can use another camera, maybe a old film camera you don't use, a disposable or someone else's camera. we can turn this thread into RROD art thread!

anybody want my picture as a wallpaper? haha[/QUOTE]

yes...so I can set it as wallpaper on my PS3 :p jk

I would like to know the name of the girl in your sig though.

[quote name='Apossum']yes...so I can set it as wallpaper on my PS3 :p jk

I would like to know the name of the girl in your sig though.[/QUOTE]

she's a japanese model named Waka Inoue, enjoy!

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I don't know why, but that is an awesome picture.[/quote]
I was just about to post it, but NWGamer666 beat me to it:

It looks like HAL 9000's red eye. Well done. That's impressive.

And as for the OP:

This could be fun, not-getting-to-play-360-factor aside.

Remember that digg story a while back about how someone broke theri PS3 by putting duct tape over the vent to keep out ambient secondhand smoke?

You should try that. The story probably wasn't true, but it would work, I imagine. Just be careful not to leave any residue on the hardware. That might look suspicious.

Another thing to try, probably in addition to sealing the vent: wrapping the whole thing in saran wrap. Or heck, aluminum foil. And, for that matter, why not do both, and then wrap it in a quilt or two for good measure.

But a few words of caution:
  • Pay attention to the console at all times. Do not leave it unattended for an extended duration. If you leave this alone for too long, and it shorts and causes a spark, starting a fire, you don't want to be gone when it happens. Don't have it on if you're out of the house or asleep. Keep a fire extinguisher on hand if you have one (which you really, really, should), and make sure the plug is easily accessible if you need to pull it. The key point is, you don't want to leave it on overnight. That could be dangerous.
  • On a lighter note, if you can run a game on it, that would definitely make things go faster than just having it plugged in, standing by. But it sounds to me like you can't get anything to load without a picture. In any event, don't put any disk in there while you're cooking it that you aren't willing to part with. Using Bioshock might fry the console like an egg, but if it breaks the disk, you will be probably be sad. If you can run anything, a virtual console game or, better yet, a demo of something system intensive, like Bioshock, would be perfect.
  • You'll probably want to make sure you can see the console lights while you're doing this. You don't want to go overboard and do something ridiculous, like melt components. It wouldn't look good if MSoft cracks open your 360 and sees a scale model of Krakatoa.
In any event, remember I don't really know what I'm talking about more than the rest of these guys, so feel free to ignore the part about the saran wrap. I mostly joking a bout that. But I was dead serious about the safety points. We don't want a CAG MIA.

Keep us posted, so we too can know the most expedient way to toast a 360.

I got RROD 3 days after launch day.I played Tony Hawks latest borefest and it crashed 3 times then overheated and got the RROD.I sent it off to be repaired and when I got it back I threw it on E-bay sharpish .I will never buy a Microsoft Console again ,My Original Xbox Got disk read errors after 18 months .I don't know what to say but I gave them a shot at earning my respect and they blew it so Back to Sony and Nintendo i went.Unfortunatley I have a 2 year subscription to OXM, doh!!!!

[/QUOTE]

I would love to mod my future 360 to have this!

hal.jpg

I was just about to make the 2001 reference myself..

Go buy one of the Intercooler units from Kmart that are currently on clearance. Hook it up, leave the 360 on for a couple days, and viola! Red rings of doom. Basically.. pay a few bucks, get a new system. Don't tell them that you even own the Intercooler though... they've flagged it as an unlicensed and defective accessory.

[/quote]that reminds me of the giant robot tower thing from the batman cartoons called HARDAC.

I get the normal green lights when i start the console but there is no picture on the screen. I have tried different cables and different tv's.

You made sure that the part that goes into the 360 wasn't switch onto "HDTV", didn't you? I had the same problem then I noticed that the switch was up

[/quote]
I didn't think that seeing the RRoD would ever be cool, that that just changed it.

[quote name='Milkyman']she's a japanese model named Waka Inoue, enjoy![/QUOTE]

Misaki-chan is pretty cute I think. Sato-san is quite beautiful. Kirina onna. ^_^

[quote name='Milkyman']she's a japanese model named Waka Inoue, enjoy![/QUOTE]

and with that, I learned of the wonderful world of gravure...thank you sir! :)

[quote name='Milkyman']you should give it a shot, you've got the control you need with that camera, and if you don't have an off camera flash you can use another camera, maybe a old film camera you don't use, a disposable or someone else's camera. we can turn this thread into RROD art thread!

anybody want my picture as a wallpaper? haha[/QUOTE]

It does have manual settings. I could always give it a try.

bread's done
Back