How to handle a purchase of a pirated game on Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

daminion

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
So I purchased a copy of Electroplankton:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=120293687908

I suspected that I was taking a gamble, but it was worth it if everything worked out.

Well I received it today and as soon as I had the cart in my hand I suspected that it was a pirate. It's a well-done pirate, but the cart just didn't feel right to me and when I started looking online I realized that it was highly likely that this was a fake copy.

So I have three questions.

1. Anyone have a copy of Electroplankton for the DS that they would be willing to take a picture of the back of the cart and send it to me? I'd like to have a picture of a verified real copy before I move forward.

2. Does anyone have any experience in dealing with Ebay / Paypal in this regard?

3. Are there any tell-tale signs in-game that I should look for? It seems to work just fine. What is the risk in a pirated copy?

This sounds crazy, but I never bid on auctions where they don't tell you where they're located in the listing. It just seems really odd that you wouldn't want people to know where it's coming from. "Warehouse #3" is not a normal sounding location that I would purchase from.

The auction says you have 7 days for a refund, just send it back.

49 for a cart version is a lil ridiculous too. Send it back, bitch to paypal, get your money back and send the cart to nintendo with the persons information! you have lots of options

[quote name='mastagoalie']49 for a cart version is a lil ridiculous too. Send it back, bitch to paypal, get your money back and send the cart to nintendo with the persons information! you have lots of options[/quote]

it's a fully version, and as far as i can tell the manual and case are authentic. it's just the cart that is suspicious.

#
The most adorable - shortage game in the history of Nintendo
#
All people love this game .
#
We were looking here and there , we found 7 pcs
#
Shipping day : August 17
#
Estimated price for December : $ 120 + Up .

should email them asking for lotto numbers in Dec since they know this game is going to 120+ then LOL

if its so rare then why do they have so many without the boxes.... screams bootleg to even start

first sign you have a bootleg

NINTENDO IS SPELLED NINENODIO on the back of a game (no joke i once got a ds game that side this on the back. and the store wouldnt belive me it was a bootleg. They said it was a misprint LOL

[quote name='morphineseason']Have you checked out these articles?

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/DS/feature.asp?c=2191
http://forums.projectego.net/how-spot-pirate-fake-ds-game-7021/[/quote]

I'd seen the first one, but not the second. Thanks.

As for the rest, I realized it was a risk, but I've been trying to get a copy of this forever and finally just gave up and bought it.

The game actually isn't as rare / sought after in other countries, so I wasn't too put off by the pile o carts in the picture.

If anyone has a real Electroplankton cart that they can take a good picture of (the back) and send to me shoot me a PM. Thanks!

Here's a picture of the cart I received. Anyone have a real version that I can have for comparison?

pirate.jpg

Yep, it looks like a pirated copy.

1. Missing the black ink underneath "NTR PAT. PEND."
2. The digit code in cart insertion area should be full length, not halfway
3. Holes shouldn't be found in cart insertion area. This might indict it was self made.
4. Underneath the metal plating should be brownish gray color not green.

Hate to say it, but when compared to legit games, it looks fake. A good looking fake, but fake. The font is wrong on the text (looks too rounded); the green board inside looks wrong; the cartridge looks too textured; and as said, no printed characters.

Sorry man. Start filing dispute.

report his ass to nintendo. they take this issue very seriously.

Counterfeits

A counterfeit Nintendo product is an illegal copy of an authentic Nintendo product. These counterfeit products often originate from Taiwan, Hong Kong or China. The production, distribution, or sale of counterfeit Nintendo products is illegal. Nintendo has brought thousands of legal actions worldwide to stop counterfeiters. In addition, thousands of criminal actions have been brought against those found to be distributing, reproducing, or selling unauthorized, illegal copies of Nintendo video game products throughout the world, including criminal actions against on-line distributors.
For more information on piracy issues regarding the videogame industry, please visit the Entertainment Software Association's website at http://www.theESA.com/

heres a link to report it

[quote name='strikeratt']Please file a report on the guy from hong kong that has been selling hundreds of tetris DS's a day too on ebay[/quote]

link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back