How to make a good DIY touchscreen protector?

maguszxz

CAGiversary!
I am a cheap person and like things to work good for less. After hearing alot of horror stories about scratched touch screens (and having bought EBA the scratch master), I need a good protector. One problem, they are too darn expensive for two sheets of plastic. I know the CAG community is creative and I was wondering if there are ways to make one without dropping the cash for expensive plastic. If not, i'll bite the bullet and get one. Please assist.

the only way i think you could reasonable trim the cost is by buying a pda screen protector which are sometimes pretty cheap and trimming to fit. it's not ideal, and i think it's worth dropping the cash. if you care about protection your DS, $6-8 is not much to spend on a $130 system.

[quote name='banpeikun']the only way i think you could reasonable trim the cost is by buying a pda screen protector which are sometimes pretty cheap and trimming to fit. it's not ideal, and i think it's worth dropping the cash. if you care about protection your DS, $6-8 is not much to spend on a $130 system.[/quote]

Seconded.

you can get hori screen protectors pretty cheap and theyre top of the line when it comes to protecting the ds screen. someone pointed me to an mtv site that sold them cheap and i got a good deal on them at frys. you should judt buy some hori ones since i have yet to see anyone complain about them not working. pluss the last thing you want to do is try and make your own only to have them mess up your screen anyway.

The super cheap way to do it is to get vinyl from your hardware store. It is very near the same material as the screen protectors are, and is insanely cheap. You can buy enough vinyl to make probably 20 protectors for like $1.

I did this a long time ago with a PDA and the protector worked great. It fit on great and did not degrade the screen quality at all. When it came time to sell my PDA, I peeled off the protector and the screen was in pristine condition.

The 2 drawbacks to this are
1) You have to be pretty exact with your cutting else it may not fit perfectly
2) I recall it being more difficult to apply the homemade protector to my PDA screen than it was to apply my Pelican DS screen protector. Maybe it was a different material, maybe there was some kind of coating on either the protector or the DS screen itself, but I remember it was a little trickier to get a good application on my PDA screen. The benefit is that once you put it on right, you don't ever need to take it off again.

Ruahrc

P.S. Post #100. W00t! Now when do I lose my CAG-In-Training status? Is it a post count thing or a time-registered thing?

[quote name='Ruahrc']Now when do I lose my CAG-In-Training status? Is it a post count thing or a time-registered thing?[/quote]

From the FAQ:

CAG Newbie: 0-29 days (cannot use signature or create threads in Trading Forum)
CAG in Training: 30-269 days
CAG Veteran: 270-364 days and/or 250+ posts
CAGiversary!: 365 days and beyond and 50+ posts (can create custom titles)

-HM

I bit the bullet, and bought some Hori protectors from Amazon. I had to admit that i do love my DS Lite (I calls it Black Beauty) and I need to protect my screen at all costs. It was cheaper to get from Amazon and the shipping was good. I got for 6.13 with ship. Anyway, thanks for all the CAGs that set me straight.

Whoops, I'm a little late to this party, but you can get some supposedly/possibly fake Hori screen protectors (they work great, I have it on mine now) for $1.30 shipped from Dealextreme.com.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4086

these look like the hori ones, including the hori name on the box, but many have said there are slight differences from the actual hori product.

bread's done
Back