How to save BIG on Blu-Ray box sets:

a wolf at fullmoon

CAGiversary!
1) I encourage everyone to browse through both amazon.com and amazon.co.uk. Search for some popular box sets on Blu, like Fast and the Furious, Spiderman, Mission: Impossible and The Bourne Trilogy. If you compare the two prices from both web sites, results come up like:

Spiderman: US - $62.99 UK - approx. $32.55
Fast and Furious: US - $54.59 (Fast and Furious 4 sold seperately) UK - approx. 23.93 (Fast and Furious 4 included)
The Bourne Trilogy: US - $65.99 UK - approx. $23.26
Planet Earth BBC: US - $37.99 (Goldbox DotD) UK - approx. $23.93

*Prices are current as of April 22, 2010 and are subject to change

2) The next step is figuring out which titles are region-free (can play on all Blu-Ray players around the world). All titles I listed above are completely region-free. For others, that's where this website comes in: http://blurayregioncodes.com/index.php?region=b
Here, all the titles that are region-free will be in green, and those that are not will be in pink. Note that some Blu-Ray's have a note next to the "yes" symbol, which could range from the extras not working (if they were shot in SD), or the disc not working on some Blu-Ray players (i.e. a PS3). If there's a simple "yes" there next to the title you're looking for, you're good to go.

3) Obviously, the shipping from amazon.co.uk is not free and the price incrementally goes up the more you add to your basket. However, with 3 box sets in my basket using the cheapest shipping option possible, the shipping came out to approximately $7.77, which obviously still makes ordering from amazon.co.uk the far better deal. Give it 2 weeks or so to get here, but I think in this case patience is certainly a virtue.

4) You can sign in to amazon.co.uk the same way you could with amazon.com, plus it has your account and shipping information stored there as well. No prime benefits, though.

5) The prices at the check out screen will be in both GBP and USD for your reference. I hope this was helpful.

Yea, I bought planet earth from Amazon.co.uk over two years ago (I think) for ~$30 shipped. It's actually weird why it costs so much more in the states for the edited version.

This is all well and good, and I'm waiting on my 2nd order from UK Amazon, but the first time I have a problem getting the goods I'm not looking forward to fighting for a resolution. It either has to be something I can't get here (Space: 1999 remastered) or something that is a heck of a deal (ST:TOS Season one HDDVD). Heck I've already ended up rebuying ST:TOS on BD because the stupid HDDVD quit playing in my HTPC.

I bought the Matrix Trilogy the other day for somewhere around $26 shipped. US version is $66 + shipping.

Deal? Also, it IS region free.

Only thing about buying from UK is the wait for it to arrive. I have Prime on the US site (which has paid for itself 5x by now), so the two week estimate is a little rough. But like I said $26 shipped = worth it.

Oh, the other thing about buying from UK is no tracking information, why they can't give you a number is beyond me but they can't/don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now if only someone would dare try LIFE since the PS3 3.30 update states that it has solved the problem with BBC's Life.

read the blu-ray.com thread, its got much more and better information along with which boxsets/blus are cheaper and are region free.

i posted a website that tells you the price after VAT removal. all amazon.uk prices go down since youre ordering it delivered to outside the EU.

bread's done
Back