How to shop for a new mattress?

Dead of Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
All my fiance and I have right now is a shitty futon that is really starting to bother me when we sleep. One time I slept on my side and my hip hurt for days. We didn't get a mattress right away because we weren't sure if we were going to stay in the area for very long. Now that we are, it's time to get a real mattress. Does anyone on CAG have any good tips or guidelines or links about shopping for a mattress? I've read that the same mattress can have many different names depending on the store to prevent competition, so it's hard to comparison shop. Other than that we are basically clueless. We are thinking of a full or queen size and definitely not a waterbed. Thanks.

Go to a factory that makes them and have them built to your specs. Ordering one online is asking for trouble, and even "trying" them in store can cause a problem. Having one custom made is the way to go.

[quote name='Dead of Knight'] I've read that the same mattress can have many different names depending on the store to prevent competition, so it's hard to comparison shop. [/QUOTE]We didn't shop around much for our mattress, but just in the couple stores we went to, this was definitely the case. A lot of stores have price matching or will beat competitor prices, so just make sure to write down all the specs for the mattress you like so you can compare properly.

One of my friends recently got a mattress and was able to price match this website (which is supposed to be reputable) at one of the stores:
http://www.us-mattress.com/
He did a lot of research and was talking to me about coil density. He said that more coils doesn't necessarily mean it's more dense... or something like that. Anyway, both my friend and I end up getting Beautyrests, if you're curious. (He got his recently; I've had mine for a couple years.)

If I am not mistaken mattress clearance events should be coming around soon. We are all cheap these days and there should be some sales going around soon. I forget the store that has an actual bed you lay in that judges your body and tells you what type of mattress you need. either mattress giant or sleepy's.

but take your fiance there and take the test and they will give you mattress options that will help the both of you.

My wife and I just bought a Serta memory foam (queen size) from big lots for $450 dollars. (no box spring or frame- used our old queen one) and we have had it for 2 months or so. If you are thinking of going temperpedic....look into the serta....same material at less than 1/2 or more of the temperpedic price.

Temperpedic - $1300 to $1600 - 10 inch foam ( could have went thicker, but price goes up)
Serta - $450 - 11 inch foam

(both prices before tax)

And that was for just the matress for both. We love the new matress and could not go back to springs.

Also the serta has a 15 year warrenty...the temperpedic had 20 years. I sacraficed 5 years of warrenty for less than half price and had to drive the matress home myself from big lots.

We shopped arround for a couple of months before buying..and I was hesatent to bu a matress from big lots..but it was the best decision I had made in awhile. Also we live in Vermont so there was not an over-abundance of stores to shop at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah driving it home would not be an issue at all with my dad's giant Toyota Tundra. I guess we'll just keep shopping around and shit, and I'll see if there's a factory nearby me.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']I say jump on all of them, which ever one gives you the most air time,Buy it.[/QUOTE]

That's how I picked mine!

Actually I just found it out next to a dumpster.

When i bought a mattress last year, Sams Club CRUSHED the matttess stores in price. I got a Serta for less than $200 and it's been great. Plus, I didn't need a box spring and didn't have to fight with a salesperson trying to push a bunch of extra crap on me.

So I'd suggest checking out the Club stores like Sams, Costco and the like IF you have a way to get it home yourself.

Go check your local stores. Lay on them a while. Talk to the sales people.

I bought mine recently at Macy's. They had plenty of beds to sample. I ended up getting a Serta perfect sleeper, pretty firm (since I sleep on my back). They delivered it to me a few days later.

I tried shopping at Sams, but they only carried 1 king sized mattress and it was no where near as firm as I wanted it to be.

[quote name='FloodsAreUponUS']Lucky, yours was next to the dumpster.

Mine was in it. :([/QUOTE]

Makes sense. After all, it's where you
sleep at night
:hot:

"I've been in the furniture and bedding business since birth.... yes birth. (33 years) I hope this info is useful. I know it is long but you do spend 1/3 of your life in bed a good mattress and box spring set is worth the investment. However it doesn't have to break the bank. An excellent quality comfortable name brand set can be had in the neighborhood of $500-750. When looking at a $3000 set one has to ask "what could possibly be in that to make it so expensive???"
When buying a mattress one needs to do some research. Mattress are like anything else. There are a lot of bells and whistles that a person really does not need: Kasmire damask cover, 8 way hand tied box spring, etc. Ask yourself "do I really need this stuff?" Pay attention to the gauge of wire, not just the coil count. And remember that the smaller the # gauge the heavier the wire ie. 13 gauge is better than 15.
When buying a mattress always alway always replace your box spring!!!!! I cannot stress this enough!!!! The set is made to work together. The box springs are located in position to to support the mattress springs. One brand does not match another. Always buy the set!!! Even though your old box spring "looks fine" it has had just as many years of wear and tear as the mattress and is worn out. Without proper support for your new mattress you can expect 50% life out of your mattress. Do not buy a set with a foundation. That is a solid box with no springs. Again 50% mattress life. Always use a bed frame. Preferrably a heavy duty one with proper center support.
Do not buy a mattress from a department store. They are higher priced and are made specially for the stores specifications to meet a price point, meaning they have had things taken out that the local independant's mattress of the same brand will have. Again this is done to reach a desired selling price.
When trying out a mattress it is important to lay fully on the bed. Head to foot. Yes, feet up. Plan to spend a good 10 to 15 minutes laying on the beds that feel good to you. Don't just bounce up and down on your rump on the edge and don't lay sideways across the mattress with your feet dangling down unless this is the way you plan on sleeping!!!
Stick with a name brand. Some are better than others. Do your homework. Higher price does not mean a better product. You may be buying things you do not need. If you are interested in a pillow top mattress, keep in mind that all pillow tops (unless it is a latex topper) will get body impressions. Buy a name brand mattress with a non pro rata warranty of 10 years. ALL MATTRESSES HAVE A LIFE OF 7-10 YEARS ONLY unless they are a solid latex core (no springs at all)
Don't buy at the first store you go to because they claim to have the lowest prices. Remember, the more a store advertises the higher it's costs and the higher the price you pay. Add up all of the free items from one store vs. add on costs at another, ie. free frame, free delivery, free sheets. Most times you will find you pay less at a store that adds these costs on at the end. Remember there is no such thing as free anything. It was added into the cost of the mattress.
Do not buy a "rebuilt" or "reconditioned" mattress. That consists of putting a new cover over the old soiled one. Nothing is done to rebuild it. Once it is worn out it is garbage. Many times these have not even been sterilized and can be contaminated with urine, bugs, mold and meldew. Gosh knows what else. They can be the cause of many unknown health problems.
Check out the 4 "big S" brands. One stands head and shoulders over the rest and it is not the largest company. You want to buy a mattress with a minimum of 312 coils, 480 is better, 540 is best. Much higher than 540 the guage of wire is thinner and the coils are smaller, meaning weaker. The coil count is always quoted in the full size, so when buying a queen size etc. the coil count is actually higher. This is just a standardized way the industry uses for specifcations.
Don't just trust your sales person, they are usually commissioned and out to make the sale. Ask to see the factory specifcations and ask questions if there is something you do not understand. Many times the store will have cut away buns to show you what is inside.
And lastly before I get off my soap box, please, when purchasing a mattress for a child remember that their spines are continually growing and forming. It is important to buy a good set for them, also. It need not be so high in coil count (here a 312 coil would be ideal) nor as plushy but it does need to be supportive.
Editor's Note: Trish didn't point out which "S" manufacturer is better than the others. But based on her tips, you should be able to figure it out during your shopping."

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/980923d.cfm

Thanks for posting that, karasu-tengu. Some good info there. I'm gonna show my fiance this thread tonight and try to convince him to go shopping with me this weekend or next.

All I have to add is that any time I've shopped for a mattress or talked with people about shopping for a mattress, it's seemed that haggling is the norm. I don't know anyone who has paid close to the initial asking price. The last time I went, I was walking out the door to check out another store and the salesman offered a bunch extra off if I would buy immediately. (This is for those S* stores, I suspect it's not the case at discount clubs like Sam's club or specialties like temperpedic etc)

Also, the last experience I have with this was 8 years ago, so things may have changed...

All of my mattresses have come out of the garbage too... =\

Well, my current one was actually purchased, but I didn't have to pay for it.

It was comfortable enough in the store, but 10 minutes really doesn't tell you much about what 8 hours will be like.

great thread, im actually going mattress shopping tomorrow with my gf, were going to make the purchase in the next week or so. we plan on just going to stores and lying on them, after that checking online for the EXACT model(s) of ones we might one, and then making a purchase either onloine or in store depending on the price. and now well be using karasu-tengu's tips. thanks.

My wife and I bought a new mattress about a month ago. We both prefer a super SOFT mattress, over firm mattress. We went to Sleep Outftters, and got a Queen-Size, Sealy Graceful Plush Euro Top, for $634.94, after tax. That includes the box spring of course, and because the sales guy we went to was really cool, and he noticed my wife is pregnant, he threw in a mattress protector for free, "in case her water breaks all over the mattress". Nice fellow. Anyways, we absolutely love this mattress. You completely sink into it, and it feels like you're sleeping on a cloud. Whether I only get 4 hours or a full 8 hours of sleep, I always feel totally rested either way, and I never wake up with headaches, like I did on our old bed, (we were using a cheap mattress topper). I highly suggest getting a similar mattress to this one, you won't regret it.

b4771_sealy_pillowtop_best.1183354915.jpg

http://www.us-mattress.com/sealy-graceful-euro-top-queen.html

we ended up getting a simmons beautyrest london pillowtop. we went with the eastern king. sales guy threw in a couple of very nice latex pillows, ill never be able to use a normal pillow again.

We didn't look for shit this weekend. Too busy. Probably too busy next weekend too with my insane mom coming down here. So probably the weekend after that or something. But thanks for bumping the thread and keeping it in my mind.

I bought a pretty expensive pillow top mattres (~$500) a couple years ago.. I wish I had gone with something cheap. I ended up putting a ~4" memory foam top thing on it ($100 or so) and can't really feel the mattress though it, any piece of shit matress would be fine.

It's comfy, I'm just saying it'd be comfy even if the mattress were shit.

So I say get a cheap mattress and a nice memory foam topper thing.

bread's done
Back