How to start a business (store)

Missingdata

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hi all, can anyone in CAG.com answer my question?

Like from register the store(company) name to actially open a store, and get the product in stock, etc...

I know u guys can help me..... *cough*defender*cough*

You should take a visit to your county clerk office and fill in the business forms at least as a sole proprietor. You really dont need to be incorporated. Just state liscenced. Then you will have to get an EIN (Employer Identification Number) which is federal and used quite often as well. Then you need to contact some suppliers to get products. You can fill in credit apps and MAYBE you can get terms. This is unlikely and most product you order will have to be COD cash until your are established.

Well...did that save you 1000 pages of reading?

If you just want a web based business I suggest a yahoo store. They seem to be pretty good with lots of options for newbies.

Thank Defender that really help...
-------------------
To answer Cracka question

I don't know yet, still researching, only reason I want to start a business is b/c I m going to college this coming fall, n my part-time jobs doesn't pay enough, and going to college in CA is very expensive since CA is poor (with those budget cut).... so i think i will open a small web store to sell stuff so it might help out my student loan, etc...

Missingdata, I think in that situation you'd almost be better served by just going through Ebay.
You don't have any of the overhead and concerns that a small website would entail.

I guess it would depend exactly what you're planning and what you want.

[quote name='Missingdata']Thank Defender that really help...
-------------------

I don't know yet, still researching, only reason I want to start a business is b/c I m going to college this coming fall, n my part-time jobs doesn't pay enough, and going to college in CA is very expensive since CA is poor (with those budget cut).... so i think i will open a small web store to sell stuff so it might help out my student loan, etc...[/quote]

where in CA are you going to school?

Have you thought about community college for 2 years?

[quote name='Mustang O-Line 75'][quote name='Missingdata']Thank Defender that really help...
-------------------

I don't know yet, still researching, only reason I want to start a business is b/c I m going to college this coming fall, n my part-time jobs doesn't pay enough, and going to college in CA is very expensive since CA is poor (with those budget cut).... so i think i will open a small web store to sell stuff so it might help out my student loan, etc...[/quote]

Have you thought about community college for 2 years?[/quote]

For many professional vocations, a Associates Degree just isn't going to cut it. Take IT for example... there's plenty of people out there with a myriad of certifications on top of a Batchelors of Science. Unless your dad owns the company or some other sort of social engineering, there's no way you'd get a job over them.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Mustang O-Line 75'][quote name='Missingdata']Thank Defender that really help...
-------------------

For many professional vocations, a Associates Degree just isn't going to cut it. Take IT for example... there's plenty of people out there with a myriad of certifications on top of a Batchelors of Science. Unless your dad owns the company or some other sort of social engineering, there's no way you'd get a job over them.[/quote]

I think he meant attend Comm. College for two years and then transfer. I already had a year at UNCW, and am planning on going to Community College next year to save my parents some money since his business failed. I was told I could spend as long as I wanted there as long as the hours are cleared by them.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Mustang O-Line 75'][quote name='Missingdata']Thank Defender that really help...
-------------------

For many professional vocations, a Associates Degree just isn't going to cut it. Take IT for example... there's plenty of people out there with a myriad of certifications on top of a Batchelors of Science. Unless your dad owns the company or some other sort of social engineering, there's no way you'd get a job over them.[/quote]

I think he means going for a couple of years and then transferring to a University of California or a California State University. Community college transfer students get first priority (and are pretty much guaranteed admission) if they keep their GPA above a certain point.

A lot of my friends are going this route because the cost is significantly lower...

Edit: Casey beat me to it.

Yeah. That option completely slipped my mind.
I think it all depends on the type of person you are. I've seen many people I went to school with choose to go to a Com. College and then just stop after they've hit thier associates.

I would look for scholarships before taking that step down though Casey.
Since your parents won't be contributing as much, and your income likely isn't that high, you're probably more likely to be a better candiate for some of the scholarships offered by your school.

I guess I'm a bad example because in my situation my University granted me a full ride scholarship, so it's really a YMMV thing.

[quote name='yellowaznboy'][quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Mustang O-Line 75'][quote name='Missingdata']Thank Defender that really help...
-------------------

I think he means going for a couple of years and then transferring to a University of California or a California State University. Community college transfer students get first priority (and are pretty much guaranteed admission) if they keep their GPA above a certain point.

A lot of my friends are going this route because the cost is significantly lower...

Edit: Casey beat me to it.[/quote]

Thank guys, thank for the college info.

Only reason i don't go with ebay is there are people who won an item and never pay....

*side note* I already go accepted to San Jose State University, and I don't know why I don't like community college for some reason.... The University that I wanted to get into is Cal Tech (i know I know, with my english that bad it is impossible to get in, but somehow I got into a honor program in San Jose State University so with a little hard work I might get into Cal Tech.... Wish me luck)*side note*

[quote name='JSweeney']Yeah. That option completely slipped my mind.
I think it all depends on the type of person you are. I've seen many people I went to school with choose to go to a Com. College and then just stop after they've hit thier associates.

Since your parents won't be contributing as much, and your income likely isn't that high, you're probably more likely to be a better candiate for some of the scholarships offered by your school.

I guess I'm a bad example, because in my situation, my University granted me a full ride scholarship, so it's really a YMMV thing.[/quote]

...Wow how did your university granted full ride scholarship?

Thank guys, thank for the college info.
Hey, its a big deal and requires a great deal of thought. I'd guess you're already hearing enough of it that you're starting to get sick of it.
(I know I did back then.)

Only reason i don't go with ebay is there are people who won an item and never pay....

I can see your point there. You'd want to be sure when you're setting up your business that you'll have some sort of recourse in those situations.
Again, this would be an area where Defender would be the best to ask.

*side note* I already go accepted to San Jose State University, and I don't know why I don't like community college for some reason....

I can't say I really know. I was offered a full ride scholarship before I even started investigating other options.

The University that I wanted to get into is Cal Tech (i know I know, with my english that bad it is impossible to get in,

I doubt that. Cal Tech has high numbers of foriegn students. I would think your grades and ACT/SAT scores would be much more important.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to go to Cal Tech?

but somehow I got into a honor program in San Jose State University so with a little hard work I might get into Cal Tech.... Wish me luck)*side note*

I wouldn't doubt that, but if you're in an honors program at SJSU, you might be getting a scholarship. In such a case, which would be more important... going to school for free, or going to Cal Tech?

These are just some questions you have to ask yourself. I was in a similar situation, and just thinking about this before getting to far into the process helped a great deal.

[quote name='Missingdata'][quote name='JSweeney']Yeah. That option completely slipped my mind.

I guess I'm a bad example, because in my situation, my University granted me a full ride scholarship, so it's really a YMMV thing.[/quote]

...Wow how did your university granted full ride scholarship?[/quote]

My university has in place a scholarship program in place called the Presidential Scholarship, which pays for the full tuition ( it's a commuter campus, so they don't add room and board.. but I commuted, so it didn't matter), so long as the recipient got higher than 24 on the ACT and carried at least a 3.5 GPA thoughout high school. They also required that while recieving the scholarship that you carry at least a 3.0 GPA and maintain full time student status.

Call the counciling and placement service offices at the school you plan to attend and ask them if they could send you information about the scholarships they offer at that Univeristy (most schools have a list of these compiled). Scan the list for any that apply to your standing or your intended course of study and follow them up.

JSweeney, Thank you for your Info. I will do that during my Orientation at San Jose State University.

Once again thank for all your help!!! (lot of planning to do now)

If you are worried about Ebayers not paying how will you feel when you have a site and 2 months later you get a chargeback from fraud.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND TO YOU TO SELL GAMES. Personally just judging you from comments made here and on most of your posts...you have this notion that selling on the web is easy money. This is absolutely wrong. I have to ask...What do you really know about running a business?

Get a job. It's a weekly income. If you think you can start a business with the lint in your pocket...it's not gonna happen.

Most small business ventures should be the product of opportunity. Look for something in your area that is not being catered to and go for that. Also, check ouy the SBA website and call your local bank to inquire about loans, because, I can almost guarantee that unless you have someone rich in your family, you'll need it. Also, if you do decide to start a store, start small. Buy your starting equipment (Shelves, registers, lighting etc) second hand and save yourself some cash....you'll need it for inventory. One more thing, don't e expect to get rich quick, you'll prbably break even, or lose money, your first few months, After that, a 5-10% gain is doing well. Don't get discouraged because, depending on your drive and cunning, you might just start the next Wal-Mart.

yea if you're opening a store... find out some shit thats really popular now... then find a way that you can buy that shit in bulk and sell it cheaper than other places while still making profit..

if people see your site where you're selling stuff... and they see things on your site for the same as they are in stores, and you're not a well-known site, it'll be hard as hell to sell stuff.

bread's done
Back