How to take game screenshots of GC

kshark

CAG Veteran
Hi guys, I am wondering how to take screenshots of my gc games. I want to start writing reviews with screenshots in them but I got no idea how ppl can take a snapshot of what's on the screen without using a camera.

I had heard ppl using a VGA cable that allows GC to be played on PC monitors. Is that how ppl take screenshot of their games? But if GC is hooked up with monitor, then how is the PC hooked up with the monitor and the GC to capture the on-screen picture?

Please help. Much appreciated.

You need Video capture device/card, you also need software that is able to capture images of the video.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=1423

They vary in price. I use my ATI 9800 PRO All in Wonder to capture video/images.

Oh and welcome to the community, also this is off topic (sort of).

Also, VGA adapter for the cube just allows you to play on a PC monitor it doesn't have anything to do with your Computer, the only thing it works from is the monitor.

[quote name='sisco1986']You need Video capture device/card, you also need software that is able to capture images of the video.

They vary in price. I use my ATI 9800 PRO All in Wonder to capture video/images.

Also, VGA adapter for the cube just allows you to play on a PC monitor it doesn't have anything to do with your Computer, the only thing it works from is the monitor.[/quote]

I have a Gforce4-Ti4200 with a S-video port buildin. Is it good enough? How about the sound then? Do I need a soundcard that support input of the RED and Yellow composite cable that came with GC? So I would need to play GC using the Analogue Output and Digital Output ports at the same time?

Thanks for the help.

Heh, I realized I was kinda off topic too but duno where to put it. I am a GC fan and thought I might as well ask ppl of similar interest. BTW, this forum is great, Im enjoying it already.

[quote name='kshark'][quote name='sisco1986']You need Video capture device/card, you also need software that is able to capture images of the video.

Also, VGA adapter for the cube just allows you to play on a PC monitor it doesn't have anything to do with your Computer, the only thing it works from is the monitor.[/quote]

I have a Gforce4-Ti4200 with a S-video port buildin. Is it good enough? How about the sound then? Do I need a soundcard that support input of the RED and Yellow composite cable that came with GC? So I would need to play GC using the Analogue Output and Digital Output ports at the same time?

Thanks for the help.

Heh, I realized I was kinda off topic too but duno where to put it. I am a GC fan and thought I might as well ask ppl of similar interest. BTW, this forum is great, Im enjoying it already.[/quote]

No your Geforce Ti 4200 isn't an image capture card, it's has a S-Video OUTPUT not S-Video INPUT. You need to buy a Video Card that has Video input's so that you can capture the video from the GameCube. So no you can't use your card to capture video you will need a capture card.

Yes you will need RED+WHITE (not yellow) composite INPUTS to be able to get the sound, some video capture cards have built-in Audio (White/RED) composite INPUTS to capture sound. There are also adapters you could buy to hook it up to a non composite source (like a non audio composite input sound card).

The third question about analog or digital out, I don't understand. Digital out on the cube is for Component cables, unless your getting a video capture card with component inputs (or buy a component to s-video adapter) you can just use the regular A/V port on the GameCube system.

So you will need to buy a video capture card with stereo/mono inputs. There not that expensive they range from 30-99 Bucks. Or go with the low-tech technique, use a camcorder.

Oh I see. I can see the picture now. I also checked ur videocard, it's like a whole bundle including all the input/output adaptors and software, etc., what a deal.

"there are also adapters you could buy to hook it up to a non composite source"

You said if I don't have built-in audio on my videocard, I need an adapter. What kind of adapter is it? So it can take in the RED+WHITE signal and convert it into compatible signal for regular soundcard? In other words, regular soundcard doesn't have composite ports, so does an adaptor "adapt" the composite signal to a signal regular soundcard can understand?

For that last question, what I meant to say is if I use a VGA cable on the Digital Output and a VGA signal does not has any sound attached, so I would need to use my old composite cable at the same time to have both image and sound right? So VGA cable connected to monitor to give visual, and composite RED+WHITE on a speaker or some sort to give audio, am I right? (but this way I can't take screenshot on my PC :p)

Thanks sisco, u helped a lot. Thanks so much for clearing things up.

[quote name='kshark']Oh I see. I can see the picture now. I also checked ur videocard, it's like a whole bundle including all the input/output adaptors and software, etc., what a deal.

"there are also adapters you could buy to hook it up to a non composite source"

You said if I don't have built-in audio on my videocard, I need an adapter. What kind of adapter is it? So it can take in the RED+WHITE signal and convert it into compatible signal for regular soundcard? In other words, regular soundcard doesn't have composite ports, so does an adaptor "adapt" the composite signal to a signal regular soundcard can understand?

For that last question, what I meant to say is if I use a VGA cable on the Digital Output and a VGA signal does not has any sound attached, so I would need to use my old composite cable at the same time to have both image and sound right? So VGA cable connected to monitor to give visual, and composite RED+WHITE on a speaker or some sort to give audio, am I right? (but this way I can't take screenshot on my PC :p)

Thanks sisco, u helped a lot. Thanks so much for clearing things up.[/quote]

Your first question, This is the adapter You connect the cubes composite Left and Right (White Red) audio composites to this adapter and the audio should work.

Yes you can connect a monitor with the VGA dapter. I'm not certain if you can run the digital and A/V plug at the same time so that you could use the Digital as a video source and the A/V slot as the Audio to connect to a TV/Receiver ect. Most VGA adapters connect to the A/V slot on the cube and not the digital, most also have composite outputs, but this all depends on what type of VGA adapter you get. Either way, this isn't going to help with taking screen shots because a VGA adapter has nothing to do with your Computer.

I checked your videocard at this site:
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc2
I hope it's the right one.

I am interested on how you hook everything up (maybe I'll get this card too :p). Tell me if my method of connection is right? Or did you do it differently?

I would connect the GC composite cable (YELLOW) to the "multimediain adapter" which connects to the S-video input of the videocard. Then connect the rest of the GC composite cable (RED+WHITE) to the audio "adapter" (the one you suggest) which connects to my soundcard audio-input.

Is this how it works?

In the site I listed above, there is this box I am assuming to be the "multi-median adapter" why does it have composite and s-video inputs and only one output, what kind of output is it? I am guessing a s-video but why should there be a s-video input to the box then?

1st Step is this

Connect the Cube to this adapter, and then connect the adapter to the video input on the back of the card.

2nd step is this

You connect the audio video output cable to the S-Video out, connect the 3.5mm jack into your line-in on the sound card and your done.

The Multimedia adapter is for inputing devices.

[quote name='sisco1986']1st Step is this

Connect the Cube to this adapter, and then connect the adapter to the video input on the back of the card.

2nd step is this

You connect the audio video output cable to the S-Video out, connect the 3.5mm jack into your line-in on the sound card and your done.

The Multimedia adapter is for inputing devices.[/quote]

WOW, now I finally got the whole picture :) Thanks man.
Your posts are awesome.

BTW, have you tried any nVidia graphics card that also supports Video capture? Or just ATI? Your ATI all-in-wonder looks sweet. How is the quality of the GC on ur monitor, better than TV? Could you use progress scan feature on some of the GC games using your ATI card directly linked to ur monitor, instead of using VGA cable directly connected to the monitor?

[quote name='kshark'][quote name='sisco1986']1st Step is this

2nd step is this

The Multimedia adapter is for inputing devices.[/quote]

WOW, now I finally got the whole picture :) Thanks man.
Your posts are awesome.

BTW, have you tried any nVidia graphics card that also supports Video capture? Or just ATI? Your ATI all-in-wonder looks sweet. How is the quality of the GC on ur monitor, better than TV? Could you use progress scan feature on some of the GC games using your ATI card directly linked to ur monitor, instead of using VGA cable directly connected to the monitor?[/quote]

Nvidia has a few video capture cards but none which I've used (I think MSI makes them), I wasn't really leaning towards Nvidia for a Multimedia card since there cards work fine for capturing video, watching TV on your PC ect., but gaming performance is always seem to suffer (with there multimedia cards not there gaming cards so nvidia fanboys don't go flying off the handle). If your not into gaming then any of the Nvidia TV/Capture cards are fine, but if you want gaming performance and along with a multimedia card, then ATI is your best bet . The quality of the cube on the card is good, just as good as it looks on my TV.

The 9800 Pro AIW does support progressive scan, but you would have to buy a GameCube Component cable , a component to s-video adapter , and
a STEREO MALE to DUAL RCA FEMALE adapter to make it work. I've never tried playing a game in progressive scan on my card so I wouldn't know if it would work or not so your on your own on that one.

When you said nVidia card's gaming performance is not as good as ATI, do you mean playing a console game or any games in general? I found my Geforce4 work really well on all the pc games so far, e.g. Doom3, HL2, UT2004, etc. But I can see it might not be as good for console gaming since there are not many nVidia cards that support it.

Finally got it all figured out. This screenshot problem bugged me for a long time... since I got my cube a year ago. I tried asking in other GC forums and not many ppl know or are willing to share. Im lucky to have met you. Thanks for all ur consistant help, sisco.

[quote name='kshark']When you said nVidia card's gaming performance is not as good as ATI, do you mean playing a console game or any games in general? I found my Geforce4 work really well on all the pc games so far, e.g. Doom3, HL2, UT2004, etc. But I can see it might not be as good for console gaming since there are not many nVidia cards that support it.

Finally got it all figured out. This screenshot problem bugged me for a long time... since I got my cube a year ago. I tried asking in other GC forums and not many ppl know or are willing to share. Im lucky to have met you. Thanks for all ur consistant help, sisco.[/quote]

I'm talking about gaming on the PC, not video capture (two totally different things). Nvidia Multimedia all in one cards don't preform that well when it comes to gaming (from the bench marks i've read) your card might run your games fine but that doesn't mean EVERY card is going to run the games fine, just look the bench marks for what ever card your going to get before getting it if your a serious PC gamer.

[quote name='R-Pigeon']You could allways take a picture with a digital camera :p[/quote]

That's true but I tried taking picture of my CRT TV and the screen looks "eyeballish" and there are circular grids around the center of the screen.

Have u tried it?

[quote name='Wshakspear']Any tips on good software for actually taking the pics?[/quote]

Ulead MediaStudio Pro Home is good, I just use the software that came with my card which is Mediator 7 and Pinnacle Studio version 8. Any video editing progam that accepts video inputs should do fine.

[quote name='sisco1986'][quote name='Wshakspear']Any tips on good software for actually taking the pics?[/quote]

Ulead MediaStudio Pro Home is good, I just use the software that came with my card which is Mediator 7 and Pinnacle Studio version 8. Any video editing progam that accepts video inputs should do fine.[/quote]

I'll look into that. Im using Dazzles video capture software (crap), so anything else is welcome

bread's done
Back