How well does the PS2 play DVDs?

Troopa

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
How well does the PS2 play DVDs? Are there some it won't play right?

I was thinking about getting a PS1 to play my PS1 games, and I also need to buy a DVD player. Then I thought I might just get a PS2, which does both.

I have never had any problems playing DVD's on mine, but I didn't get mine right away. I think I got it about a year ago or so. My roommate got one on launch, and it used to have tons of DRE's until he finally sent it in to get fixed. As far as I know, there should not be any problems if you buy a new one.

i've never had a problem playing dvd's on my ps2 except for once. the only annoying thing is you have to fast forward at 1x only. it's so slowwwwwwwwwwww! (i have a 3rd party version of the remote control:()

got mine june or '01, and its been my main dvd player ever since. sa can be seen in my sig, i have a lot of dvds, and i rent even more, and not once have i had a problem. i am also one of the lucky ones to never get a dre.

didnt even have to rub buddhas belly for this

PS2 is known for trouble with low quality DVDs... it can't play VCDs either. I saw a list somewhere online once listing which movies didn't work. Tried looking for it again, but couldn't find it. :(

I have never had a single problem with my PS2 playing DVDs, except for one DVD-R. It did start getting disk read errors and would not read DVD-rom games, but I sent it into Sony and got it fixed for free.

I've used both the old model and the very precious 5001 models. I saw very precious because I like all the features/improvements of it. It is also VERY quiet when playing DVDs. Its nothing near as loud as the older PS2s and the XBox. All in all I think it isn't too bad.

I have a first run PS2. Never had any problem with any game or DVD, and it's become my primary DVD player lately.

Mine plays them fine in general, every now and then it wont read, but I give the PS2 a little tap and it starts to run just fine.

I've got a first run PS2 & it plays DVD's great. PS2 is our only DVD player, and we use Netflix so we've got different DVD's in it all the time.

I think I'll go ahead and get a PS1 and DVD player. After looking at the numbers a little more, I can get both for less than $100 easily, and a PS2 is over $175.

I'm not interested in PS2 games. I have trouble finding the time to beat my Gamecube and Xbox games as it is!

Thanks.

How do you people find time to watch DVD's when there are games to be played? and you call yourself a gamer...... ya wannabe.

It plays most dvd just as good as a simple low end player, newer PS2s even have progressive scan support. The Official remote control driver disk adds features like multi speed foward advance and timer.

There are a few DVDs from a couple of years ago that have a slight problem like the Special Edition Tron dvd. Some from the "incompatability lists" actually play just fine in some PS2's but dont in others but like I said that was 2 or 3 years ago, I havent run into a new DVD that dosent play well yet and I own over 150.

Also Sony fixes PS2s with DREs for free, there's no reason to suffer through them.

fuckberries. i just got my first dre. i put in a versus dvd from netflix, which was slightly cracked, and dre. still plays blue discs and other dvds fine.

it changed my overly colorful fu(kberries to simple shaq-fu

[quote name='Troopa']I think I'll go ahead and get a PS1 and DVD player. After looking at the numbers a little more, I can get both for less than $100 easily, and a PS2 is over $175.

I'm not interested in PS2 games. I have trouble finding the time to beat my Gamecube and Xbox games as it is!

Thanks.[/quote]

If you have an xbox, why don't you just buy a remote and play dvd's with that. After all we're all cheap asses.

bread's done
Back