How will xbox one work with your dvr?

qcjoe

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Im sorry if this has been brought up already , but I cant find a good answer.  Will you be able to access all your recordings and record using the xbox one interface.  Thanks

This hasn't been well explained. Mostly all they show is using it as a remote control to change channels. If you have a TiVo that's not a part of your cable box then there definitely won't be functionality. There's only one HDMI input, it's not a receiver.

I'm curious how it will work.  My setup will be Comcast HDMI in to XBOX ONE HDMI IN, the HDMI OUT to my RECEIVER. 

If I want to watch my DVR, will the XBOX ONE just run in passthrough mode so I don't have to turn it on? 

I mean this is the one feature that would make me buy one over a PS4.  Having all of it on one input is something that is appealing.  The one thing that scared me is I saw a video on Wired.com that had a Directv box using the pass through and the video was stuttering a bit.

Wait until November and you'll have a factual answer. Until that point, they'll only be guesses and conjecture.
That's actually pretty unreasonable. Would you preorder a new TV if someone told you to wait until you get it to see if it has the features you want? Game consoles are electronics and I realize people have their favorites but at some point you have to treat the customer right if you want their business.

Also, I've got a computer to sell you. $800 for it. Once I have your money I will tell you what version of windows it's running!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's actually pretty unreasonable. Would you preorder a new TV if someone told you to wait until you get it to see if it has the features you want? Game consoles are electronics and I realize people have their favorites but at some point you have to treat the customer right if you want their business.

Also, I've got a computer to sell you. $800 for it. Once I have your money I will tell you what version of windows it's running!
Thats my point. I was pretty gung ho for a PS4 then thought of the way I use the tv every day it may be worth looking at a Xbone. Out of the gate they have no first party games I have to have so the user experience would need to be just right for me to break off another hundred bucks.

This unknown has me worried a bit also.  Microsoft is really promoting the TV functionality as seemless switching; however, if there is stutter or any other issues with LIVE TV, then I will not even run my cable box to the XBOX ONE.  I'll just leave as my current setup.  HDMI from cable to receiver, and XBOX to receiver.  I know the XBOX ONE has passthrough based on some research, so I would assume it would work that way in low power mode or something.

You would think they would have had this info out there. Its a important part of what their selling.
There's still two months between release and the current time, so there's plenty of time to have it out there and clarified. Until it's a third party that has a chance to test it, it's only conjecture and speculation.

No one is forcing you to buy a XB1 on release date. There will be numerous places that will review the XB1 when it releases or right before release and I'm sure it will be discussed to death.

For the moment and until that happens from third parties that have an XB1 in-hand, it's just MS press conversation about it and nothing more.

I don't see the appeal of connecting a DVR to a XB1, though that's only my opinion. How it'll work will be discussed repeatedly around release date or after release.

I don't see the appeal of connecting a DVR to a XB1, though that's only my opinion. How it'll work will be discussed repeatedly around release date or after release.
Microsoft is pushing this as part of the connectivty advantage to hook up your cable box and be able to interact with it via Kinect. Since the DVR (for most) is built into the cable-box, it's a big deal.

Personally, I don't get the appeal of any of that TV stuff since it can't eliminate the cable box/dvr.

If it just had a cable card slot and worked as DVR (would need more than 500gb HDD though), I'd probably have jumped on it to clear out some box/cable clutter in my TV stand.

Otherwise, I don't care about the voice command stuff or other features really as I'm fine operating my home theater with my Harmony remote.  Just a bit sick of the box and cable clutter.  But that's reduced a ton now being down to one console (from 3).  Hopefully my next cable box/DVR won't need a wired ethernet connection and I can hide the router somewhere rather than having it in the TV stand too.

Personally, I don't get the appeal of any of that TV stuff since it can't eliminate the cable box/dvr.

If it just had a cable card slot and worked as DVR (would need more than 500gb HDD though), I'd probably have jumped on it to clear out some box/cable clutter in my TV stand.

Otherwise, I don't care about the voice command stuff or other features really as I'm fine operating my home theater with my Harmony remote. Just a bit sick of the box and cable clutter. But that's reduced a ton now being down to one console (from 3). Hopefully my next cable box/DVR won't need a wired ethernet connection and I can hide the router somewhere rather than having it in the TV stand too.
What did you do with the other consoles?

I don't know how it will work concerning the DVR part  but I'm concerned about leaving it on all the time to watch and record tv. RROD2....  :p

I don't know how it will work concerning the DVR part but I'm concerned about leaving it on all the time to watch and record tv. RROD2.... :p
Isnt it supposed to keep it self cool this time around? I also wonder about the power consumption. Of course thats not that big of deal, but just a though.

The console is supposedly huge, has big fans and two heat pipes. It almost seems as if they overcompensated in a response to what happened last time.

Last edited by a moderator:
What did you do with the other consoles?
Gave a Wii away around a year ago and traded the 360 into GameStop a couple months ago when they had a good promo.

I don't replay or collect games so I sell them all after beating them and get rid of consoles as soon as I'm done with all the exclusives I want to play on them.

bread's done
Back