How would you handle the Wii controls for gaming franchises?

bingbangboom

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Basically name a game franchise that has been around or one that will just start ala a previous game released and what the controls should be like.

Like Tiger Woods would be very similar to how WiiSports Golf is handled, but I hope more precise and accurate.

I wouldn't be surprised if another Surgery game pops up from some other company since Trauma Center got alot of attention.

I wanna see Luigi's Mansion 2 for the Wii. Wii-Mote as a vacuum = good times.

[quote name='lilboo']I wouldn't be surprised if another Surgery game pops up from some other company since Trauma Center got alot of attention.[/QUOTE]
Agh....let there be a House, MD game!

I'd love to see some of the more action oriented series made into Wii games. Imagine a Ninja Giaden game on the Wii? I know people would complain it would wear them out, but so what. A few such games is not a bad idea to me. Track and Field is another franchise that seems perfect for the Wii. I think the controls there are pretty obvious.

I think Call of Duty looks like one of the more interesting "mainstream" titles really taking advantage of the Wii. From the jeep driving to boat paddling, to tank cranking, etc. It just looks like a more immersible way to play a classic genre.

I'd like a vertical shmup in which your ship follows wherever you point the remote. This would make for amazing maneuverability, and could be great for bullet-hell type games.

[quote name='elwood731']Agh....let there be a House, MD game!
[/quote] No it should be Scrubs. ;)

A 2D/3D (New Super Mario Brothers) style Castlevania for the Wii would be really cool, using the Wiimote as a whip.
A new Yoshi Story game that uses the Wiimote to aim the eggs.
A new Mario Kart that uses Excite Truck (or maybe Call of Duty 3 vehicle) style controls.
A Katamari game that used the Wiimote and nunchuck to control the Katamari.
A Kingdom Hearts that uses the Wiimote to control the keyblade.

[quote name='topnotch97']i wonder how you can control the wii mote if you're playing rpg or turnbase or fighting games.[/QUOTE]

RPGs use maybe 3-4 buttons at most. Very easy to do.

Unless we're talking something like Oblivion, which I imagine would be perfectly suited to the Wii.

As for fighting games, you could use the triggers on the nunchuck and the Wiimote, and somehow have motion control as the block. That might work, or maybe someone will have a special fighter add-on. Hard to tell at this point.

The way they handled DQ Swords is terrible... it's an on-rails RPGs. I don't see why they couldn't have made it free movement.

I honestly would like to see RPGs say traditional. Maybe make some novel uses of the Wiimote/nunchuck here and there but that's it.

1. Pikmin. The wiimote is tailor made for that type of game.
2. Old school adventure games ala King's/Space Quest, Full Throttle, Sam & Max and the like seem perfect for the wiimote as well.

mario kart with the wii wheel will kick ass!

i would like to see some side scrolling games come back and take advantage of the wii/nunchuck capabilities. Fight games, I have no idea how they'd do that. I really believe that on a console, the stock game pad works really well. i'm sure they'll figure some cool out for mk armageddon though!

T. Foolery

I would create an Olympic diving game in which you hold the Wiimote vertically, then flip and twist it in the air to make your on screen diver do some crazy tricks, or an SSX game where you hold the Wiimote like a snowboard, and spin and flip it to do tricks.

And I'd like a Jedi Lightsaber game. With 1:1 movement, I might add.

And a WiiPlay see-saw game. And a Rodeo simulator. And an Indiana Jones game where I can whip sons of bitches w/ the 'mote.

Resident Evil 1-3: Hold the wii-mote as you do in Excite Truck. Turn it left and right to turn left and right. Turning the wii-mote a full 360 degrees will translate to a 90 degree turn of your character. Tilt forward to move forward in the direction that your character is facing. The nunchuck will be used for a complex typing mini-game that has to be played before saving, which can only be done at a typewriter, and only if you have found a typewriter ribbon.

Guitar Hero could include a "drum" mode where you use the remote and nunchuck to beat drums along with someone using a guitar. Similar how they added a base mode.

[quote name='topnotch97']btw, can the wii mote handle GC games?[/quote]

Nope, you need to have a GC controller for GC games. However, I remember an article where somebody (Miyamoto?) was thinking about rereleasing classic GC games with wiimote support.

[quote name='bingbangboom']Guitar Hero could include a "drum" mode where you use the remote and nunchuck to beat drums along with someone using a guitar. Similar how they added a base mode.[/quote]

I thought about this for a long time. But really, it won't work. It would be nice, don't get me wrong, but it won't work. Think about it. What are you hitting? There is no cue for it. Theoretically, there could be something on screen, sure. But without a physical thing to actually drum on, this is highly unlikely.

Who you gonna call? Ghostbusters!

Wiimote for proton beam, nunchuk analog for movement. Activation hum sound can com from the wiimotes speaker.

drool

[quote name='schuerm26']In some other thread i saw a person talking about Road Rash which i thought was a good idea.[/QUOTE]

That was me... basic idea was to use the nunchuck as your steering and remote as your weapon. Changing from a melee ala swords or clubs, to shooting ala guns and bombs with a tossing motion.

As far as a "Drum Hero" It would be guester based like alot of the Wii games. There is a dancing mini game on Rayman where you sort of use a style I was thinking off. Basically think Donkey Konga without the drums.

In-depth MVP NCAA Baseball 07 control scheme (w/both remote and nunchuck)

Batting:
Swing like in Wii Sports Baseball, hold B for power swing, A for contact swing. Works regardless of whether you're right-handed or left-handed. Needs just one hand to swing. Use analog stick on nunchuck for aiming the swing, though it could be possible to use the swing movement to dictate that. Hold C and use the analog stick to move batter in batter's box. Hold Z and use analog stick to rotate batter.

Fielding:
Hold the d-pad direction for the base you want to throw to and make a throwing motion. For depth, hold B while throwing and let go to release the ball. Using the nunchuck's analog stick to move, C button to dive, and Z for to call for the relay man to catch the throw in the outfield. To have an outfielder climb the wall for a catch, raise both remote and nunchuck up quickly while approaching the wall. For sliding catch, quickly lower both controllers downward while approaching the ball's landing spot. Jerk both controllers left or right to have the outfielder reach for the catch in that direction.

Pitching:
Works similar to fielding, pick a pitch with the d-pad or A button, press B button for pickoffs. When ready to throw, hold the B button and make throwing motions, letting go of the B button at the appropriate time. Pickoffs could require a quicker throw to pull off.

Baserunning:
Hold A while pressing a d-pad direction to choose a base-runner, then press a d-pad direction to tell them to run to that base. Use the d-pad while batting to tell the selected baserunner to steal. When stealing, drumroll the remote and nunchuck to get your runner to run as fast as possible, then raise both down for face first slide, up for feet first slide, and nothing to have the runner do nothing.

Damn. I think I got most of the normal controls over intact in a fun and logical way to use them. I'd love to see these get implemented in a future installment of the series, provided that Madden does well to give the okay for other sports series to arrive on the Wii.

In-depth MVP NCAA Baseball 07 control scheme (w/both remote and nunchuck)

Batting:
Swing like in Wii Sports Baseball, hold B for power swing, A for contact swing. Works regardless of whether you're right-handed or left-handed. Needs just one hand to swing. Use analog stick on nunchuck for aiming the swing, though it could be possible to use the swing movement to dictate that. Hold C and use the analog stick to move batter in batter's box. Hold Z and use analog stick to rotate batter.

Fielding:
Hold the d-pad direction for the base you want to throw to and make a throwing motion. For depth, hold B while throwing and let go to release the ball. Using the nunchuck's analog stick to move, C button to dive, and Z for to call for the relay man to catch the throw in the outfield. To have an outfielder climb the wall for a catch, raise both remote and nunchuck up quickly while approaching the wall. For sliding catch, quickly lower both controllers downward while approaching the ball's landing spot. Jerk both controllers left or right to have the outfielder reach for the catch in that direction.

Pitching:
Works similar to fielding, pick a pitch with the d-pad or A button, press B button for pickoffs. When ready to throw, hold the B button and make throwing motions, letting go of the B button at the appropriate time. Pickoffs could require a quicker throw to pull off.

Baserunning:
Hold A while pressing a d-pad direction to choose a base-runner, then press a d-pad direction to tell them to run to that base. Use the d-pad while batting to tell the selected baserunner to steal. When stealing, drumroll the remote and nunchuck to get your runner to run as fast as possible, then raise both down for face first slide, up for feet first slide, and nothing to have the runner do nothing.

Damn. I think I got most of the normal controls over intact in a fun and logical way to use them. I'd love to see these get implemented in a future installment of the series, provided that Madden does well to give the okay for other sports series to arrive on the Wii.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']In-depth MVP NCAA Baseball 07 control scheme (w/both remote and nunchuck)

Batting:

Fielding:

Pitching:

Baserunning:

Damn. I think I got most of the normal controls over intact in a fun and logical way to use them. I'd love to see these get implemented in a future installment of the series, provided that Madden does well to give the okay for other sports series to arrive on the Wii.[/QUOTE]

Ummm yes.

Yeah seems pretty cool. I wonder for a NBA game would it be handled similar how Mario 3 0n 3 hoops is handled. You would actually use the remote to dribble by holding A and bobbing the controllers up and down, while dribbling you can do cross overs by moving both controllers.

To Pass you would release the A button and with a quick movement of the controller it will toss it. Shooting would be the same way but with both the remote and nunchuck, using a standard shooting motion which you can fake.

Dunks and layups are done with dribbling toward the hoop and raising your arms up. Blocking is done with raising your arms up in the similar way.

Foulshots would use the pointer and nunchuck, pumping your nunchuck to ease tension, you aim your pointer and shoot.

Stealing is done with a flick of the wrist on defense.

bread's done
Back