How would you rank the games....

HeadRusch

CAGiversary!
I've got Wipeout, NFS, Ridge Racer, and TM.

TM gets the least amount of play from me. I'd like to see an update of this series, only where the cars have some weight to them. Seems a little dated now with the whole 'cars spin without turning' thing and whatnot. Cool, old school (per say), but again this one is my least favorite. Dunno why I keep it.

Wipeout Pure: Pretty amazing visuals, fun racing...you just have to love wipeout.
Not easy either, takes some getting used to in the control department. Still wish the tracks were wider, slamming into walls or screeching to a halt to take a sharp corner kinda blows, I hope that goes away with practice. Got it used from a CAG, great buy....I dig this game.

Ridge Racer: never really a huge fan but this game is fun. That is, until you realize that youre basically playing dance dance revolution, only with your thumbs. This game has nothing to do with racing, all it has to do is timing when to double tap the d-pad and let off the gas to get your car sliding, and when to come out of the slide. Amateur races are fun, but PRO circuit seems to basically be this: No matter which car you take, you wont catch up to the #1 car until the last 20 seconds of the race where you will either win, or come in 2nd. ??? I played the first game alot on PS1, but never any of the others. Its pretty, but I dont know that I'd consider it a fun racing game......again, its like DDR for your thumbs....actual turning of your vehicle when not sliding is like playing TURBO on colecovision.

NFS: Rivals: This game probably gets the most playtime from me. I actually do enjoy the racing, even though I hate the rubberband AI. You could enter your corvette against a pack of NEONS, and the NEONS will still keep up, and smoke you if you crash. That.....that kinda blows. Still, the cars feel like cars and the racing feels like a console racer. The short-track racing I hate and the nitro runs are terrible but otherwise this game gets the most of my time right now. But its not great. Its a worth first effort, but its not great.

I've been thinking of dumping all of these (sans wipeout) and picking up Burnout legends, waiting for the next NFS game, and maybe picking up something different like Tony Hawk or giving that Midnite Club 3 a try......but have no idea how those games are...
????

Deninetly get Burnout....it's the BEST racing game for the PSP. I will NOT play Ridge Racer anymore....already traded WipeOut too. Midnight Club is supposed to be good...but load times kill it.

[quote name='doubledown']Deninetly get Burnout....it's the BEST racing game for the PSP. I will NOT play Ridge Racer anymore....already traded WipeOut too. Midnight Club is supposed to be good...but load times kill it.[/QUOTE]

Amen!

How do the load times kill it......is it like 10 seconds of racing with 2 minutes of load, or is it a little more leniant than that...??

[quote name='HeadRusch']How do the load times kill it......is it like 10 seconds of racing with 2 minutes of load, or is it a little more leniant than that...??[/QUOTE]
lol, funny you should say that...

Get Burnout, and don't get midnight club 3 dub, I played the game once....and then traded it in. The load times are horrible. at least 1 min. 30 sec. i think in between every race.

I personally like wipeout for all the new content that they're releaseing for it.
It's a launch game that already has 5 different downloaded pack of content and more to come,
but if I were you, I'd dump midnight club and ridgeracer for burnout

K, went to TRU today and picked up Burnout Legends.....looking forward to checking it out later tonight (PSP is like my bedtime addiction...problem is sometimes that means 4 hours after when I should be snoozin I'm still glued to that thing like a crackhead to a pipe).

I'm trying to pick up Tony Hawk on the cheap just so I have some other type of game besides racing for the thing....I've always enjoyed the TH games on the consoles, but I'm not a hard core fan who learns all the tricks and stuff.......just having something different to futz around with.

Now we need some decent side-scrolling beat-em-ups like MK: Shaolin Monks or something.......I woulnd' t want to play a capcom fighter on this, but I imagine a game like Soul caliber or Soul Edge might work pretty well. something that didn't require frantic button/joypad thrashing....

I dunno if I'd want a fighter like that on a handheld....if you waste the controller, you gotta send the whole thing in to sony to fix I guess?

I'll definately pass on MC3:Dub. I saw a video review and the framerate seemed pretty low, like a constant 20..and the racing didn't seem all that interesting either.....

FYI: Legends just destroys any previous racing game on PSP. Its amazing what this system is doing, it really does feel like 90% of the PS2 version right there. Graphics seem every bit as detailed, crashes aren't as insane but who cares. Game plays lightning fast and is very do-able with the joypad.

Interesting thing: The courses I remember are easy to play, but the ones I dont (I never had burnout 1 or 2) are HARD......I'm crashin into walls left and right...gotta take time to learn the new (old) tracks.

This game makes RidgeRacer look like some home-brewed thing...

bread's done
Back